VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a near-mint boxed copy of Windows NT 3.1 with a sticker on it that says "Promotional Sample Not For Resale". There is another sticker on the top of the box with a barcode that says "PROMO TEAM S:1". I got this as part of a lot from a guy junking a lot of old software stuff over 10 years ago. However, I never realized it was a promotional sample.

Any thoughts about where this came from?

All of the disks inside are sealed. It comes with both 3.5" installation disks as well as a cd-rom. There are also 5.25" bootable diskettes.

Reply 1 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea if this is really rare, but I'm certain a dedicated collector would pay a decent sum for this treasure chest 😀

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 3 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is rare but the question is how rare, chances are this copy if complete is likely worth $20-50 depending how many copies were made. The fewer copies the more this one is worth.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 11, by DOS lives on!!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, since I (and probably most of us) have never seen one before, and it probably was a "only a few made" kind of thing, I'd say it is rare. Do you have any photos of it you could share?

Reply 6 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its not that rare. The computer store that I worked at had promo copies of DOS and Windows all the way up to XP. Microsoft shipped them out to all their authorized retailers and to the press for review purposes. Besides the fact that they can't be legally resold, they are identical to retail copies.

We also had a nice florescent lamp back lit Windows 3.0 logo (pre-rainbow flag) sign that said "Microsoft Windows Software" hanging up in the tech room.

Reply 7 of 11, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Darn it, I used to have a box shipped to my old work-place, with a full starter kit for Wildcat 4 with the Internet Productivity Pack disc and a T-Shirt. I should have kept it around in light of things like this. At least it would have went to a good home. (or the home of a disgruntled, old Sysop who still tears up about the old days of his Courier 33.6 and initialization strings "AT&F &M1 &*CRYYY*")

Reply 8 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rare doesn't always mean valuable. I have some guitars in my collection that could be considered 'rare' but don't have a high pricetag because they are either from relatively unknown makers or were made as inexpensive entry level guitars out of lower quality materials than a high end model would be made of. One of them may possibly be a one off prototype or a sole survivor of a very small production run as nobody I have ever shown it to has ever seen another one like it or even knew that the company ever made electrics in the time frame when this one was made (approx. 1937 by my estimate, which was pretty early for electrics). Another one that I have, while not a one off, only comes up for sale very rarely and I've only ever seen listings for two other anywhere on the entire internet in over 10 years and one of those listings might actually be the one that I have as the lineage that I got from the seller for that one seems to parallel the travels of the one that I have been able to track online. The other that I have seen is a different color.

Reply 9 of 11, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

Darn it, I used to have a box shipped to my old work-place, with a full starter kit for Wildcat 4 with the Internet Productivity Pack disc and a T-Shirt. I should have kept it around in light of things like this. At least it would have went to a good home. (or the home of a disgruntled, old Sysop who still tears up about the old days of his Courier 33.6 and initialization strings "AT&F &M1 &*CRYYY*")

Alas the days of the ANSI terminal, the baud and the chimes and hisses of a dial-up modem are gone. I have alot of fond memories of my late 80's - mid 90's days of BBSing though. 😁

The BBS days will always remain awesome! Why not start up another one, the BBS scene is still active and SynchroNet BBS is released as freeware by Rob Swindell, the creator. He still releases updates for it, he even runs a BBS and owns DOVE-Net [simular to FIDO-Net which btw is still active these days too], etc.

The SynchroNET BBS software package has everything you'd need for an internet based BBS. 😀

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 10 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Rare doesn't always mean valuable.

*Nods*

It's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 11, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then, again value doesn't necessarily have anything to do with price-tag. There are many things people would just love to have, but it isn't realistic to have a cash investment in them.