VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm getting extremely fed up with trying to compile an ogg-compatible 32-bit build of DosBox so that I can play the GoG release of Carmageddon on Linux with the CD Audio. Is there a way I can convert the .dat, .gog, and .ogg files into a standard .bin/.cue image that I can use with a stock build of DosBox, without burning a CD and re-ripping it?

Reply 2 of 5, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to dig out an actual CD-RW, so I copied game.dat and game.gog and renamed them respectively to game.cue and game.bin, then I loaded the game.cue file into Imgburn's cue file editor and resaved it so that Imgburn wouldn't crash when trying to burn it. I have it burning right now, so hopefully it'll work.

EDIT: So far, it seems to work. 😁 I also forgot to mention that when I renamed game.dat, I also edited it to reference game.bin instead of game.gog.

EDIT2: Mark this as "solved". It works perfectly! I don't have to screw around with compiling a custom build of DosBox now!

Reply 3 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cover all of this in the first videos of my playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_cc838XPm4&li … _eeUW74SzgbVqyX

The fourth video shows you to created a mixed mode CD with audio tracks that came as ogg or mp3 files.

The videos cover all the various ways I have come across that GOG.com packages their games. Some games require creating CD AND copying a few folders to the C drive. But so far I have been able to get every game I tried going on my Time-Machine PC.

Many images are full installation images. Insert the CD and install it like we did back in the day 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 5, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I figured it out myself. The method I tried works well. All I was trying to do was convert the images into a format that the Linux version of DosBox (which strangely has no support for Ogg files) could support.

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The one version in whatever repository it is wasn't prepared with SDL_Sound and thus has no ogg bin/cue support. Nothing strange, just sloppy repository (happened to me as well when I prepared the 0.74-1 release for OS X 😉).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper