VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, hope you are all ok. So, I have a dumb question: is there anyway I can buy games on GOG but, instead of installing them as a new program, playing them from within Dosbox? I bought the first Fallout from GOG and have it installed, but it's not the same feeling though. Wish I could somehow load it inside dosbox where I play most of my games.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 1 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course you can. But you will need to learn a lot about DOS, DOSBox, the config files, how you load games with config files...

A lot to learn for something that already works (GOG.com games ship with a copy of DOSBox for every game).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Each game sold on GOG comes with a copy of DOSBox that's been pre-configured to work with the game. Most of the time, the settings are optimal enough, but if you want to change any settings, just go to where the game is installed and edit the config files there.

And don't worry about the fact that sooner or later you'll have a dozen copies of DOSBox floating around your folders. DOSBox doesn't take up much space. ;)

If you want to run a GOG game in a separate copy of DOSBox, basically what you need to do is configure your copy of DOSBox with the best settings for the game and mount/imgmount the appropriate folders/files. There may also be additional things you have to do, which you can figure out by looking at the config files included with each game.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dos games that GOG sells are being played through DOSBox. If it is a hybrid DOS/Windows game I have no clue 😉

If you know what to do you can easily play the dos games through DOSBox, you will need to install them nevertheless and THEN point dosbox at them to play.
There is no universal way though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could never make the Fallout demo work as playable in DOSBox so far but... I haven't been trying in the last 3 years

[EDIT]
Got it from GOG.com
Fallout 1,Fallout 2,Fallout Tactics Free for 48 hours on GoG
FREE fallout 1,2, & tactics