VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a habit of collecting old video games whenever I come across them at a bargain. However, sometimes they get lost.

Today I wanted to try Ultima VII which I've never had the chance to play. However, as it's currently available on GOG, I wasn't able to find an original DOS copy on the internet. While digging around through my old discs I found.. low and behold.. "The Complete Ultima VII" (the CD-ROM version). Woo. 😀

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Reply 1 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I don't know if it counts but looking through my shareware CD's I have about a ton of freeware games made independently by either individuals or demogroups, and it's stuff you can't find anywhere else.

I also surprisingly still have the original Ultimate DOOM CD and Descent 1 CD. (even though the CD of Descent 1 has no enhanced features over it's floppy version)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started a database and web gui to catalogue my collection for that precise reason - I was starting to buy duplicates of games because I had no idea what I owned - I'm up around 900 game mark now (that's consoles and computers though), so there's no way I can remember exactly what I've got without it!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote:

However, as it's currently available on GOG

Gwah? What happened? It was there last time I looked. Is GOG randomly taking down games for no particular reason now?

I think I'm moderately good at keeping track of these things. EDIT: By which I mean, the games I've bought so I don't end up buying duplicate copies.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2013-11-18, 04:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long while back I picked up a CD for dirt cheap called "Interplay's 10 Year Anniversary Anthology Collection". Considering how cheap it was (about $3 at the time) and considering the look of the jewel case, I just had it in my head that it wasn't anything special.

Then, more recently after sitting in my collection doing nothing, I finally decided to stick it into my computer and see what was on it. Another World and Wasteland are just two examples of the several old games I ended up with! :O

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Jorpho wrote:
Kahenraz wrote:

However, as it's currently available on GOG

Gwah? What happened? It was there last time I looked. Is GOG randomly taking down games for no particular reason now?

I think I'm moderately good at keeping track of these things.

He didn't write UNavailable 😉
It seems he meant that because it is available on gog the abandonware sites took their copy down so he wasn't able to illegaly download it anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper