Common searches

Most rare soundcards

Topic actions

First post, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the rarest ISA sound cards appropriate for gaming and how would you rank them in terms of rarity?

My (imperfect) vision is comething like that:

Rare as hell:

Mockingboard
Innovation SSI-2001
Adlib Gold
MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum

Very rare but at least they appear on ebay sometimes:

IBM PC Music Feature card
MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum Plus
Adlib
Creative Game Blaster/CMS
Creative Sound Blaster 1.0

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 1 of 30, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-ISA-Pro- … =item2328f0f7b1

What's so special about it?

I've also not heard of the Mockingboard or Innovation SSI-2001, although these cards may have been prominent before my time (I started around the 486 days). What makes these cards desirable?

Reply 3 of 30, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-ISA-Pro- … =item2328f0f7b1

What's so special about it?

This is MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 - a later card that is partially compatible with original Pro Audio Spectrum. They are ubiquitous.

Original 8-bit PAS is so special because it carries two OPL2 chips, much like SB Pro CT1330, but they are incompatible with each other.

Reply 4 of 30, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote:

I've also not heard of the Mockingboard or Innovation SSI-2001, although these cards may have been prominent before my time (I started around the 486 days). What makes these cards desirable?

They were never prominent, just obscure (and hence desirable). :D

The Mockingboard was more common for the Apple II - the PC version was sold as the 'Bank Street Music Writer Card' and IIRC only supported by (and available with) the.. Bank Street Music Writer software from Mindscape; more info here.

The Innovation SSI-2001 was a simply a SID-based card for the PC, though unfortunately the games supporting it could be counted on both hands. Search these forums for more information - one of these cards passed between several members here and there's been some effort towards emulating and reverse-engineering it.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 30, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I rarely see or hear anything about the IBM Music Feature card, but I'm not very knowledgeable about retro hardware beyond what I have experience with. Still, just thought I'd throw that one in the mix to see if anyone can comment on it. :)

EDIT: Err... wait, Bristle already mentioned it. Speed-reading has failed me again! XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 30, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows Sound System cards are ubiquitous: here, here and here, and it's just fifteen seconds spent to search.

Reply 9 of 30, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

How about the Audiotrix 3DXG?

Is it some suspicious hybrid of OPL3SA and SW60XG?

Reply 10 of 30, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

How about the Audiotrix 3DXG?

Is it some suspicious hybrid of OPL3SA and SW60XG?

It is just a YMF71x (OPL3-SAx) card with DB60XG daughterboard. The difference is that the YMF output signal is routed through the DB60XG effects processor. As far as I know, this is the only card that ever used the analog inputs on the DB60XG.

Reply 11 of 30, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

It is just a YMF71x (OPL3-SAx) card with DB60XG daughterboard. The difference is that the YMF output signal is routed through the DB60XG effects processor. As far as I know, this is the only card that ever used the analog inputs on the DB60XG.

Well then, if someone sticks line output of OPL3SAx into line input of SW60XG, would it be the same?

Reply 14 of 30, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Well then, if someone sticks line output of OPL3SAx into line input of SW60XG, would it be the same?

Refer to my "Ad Lib Legacy" post over at QuestStudios, mainly for the AudioTriX 3D-XG manual. Routing another card's output into an SW60XG is roughly equivalent, but the 3D-XG solution ties things together in a much better manner, from a software/control perspective.

Here are a few other "rarities" that I'm personally after, not all of which are gaming-related, and some of which were unreleased (but somehow escaped into the wild):

Ad Lib MSC Microchannel
AVM Apex
Covox Sound Master
Creative AWE64 Gold II
Creative Port Blaster
MicroProse's "The Entertainer" (Assuming it ever existed...)
Oksori Professional 2.00
Tecmar Music Synthesis System / Music Magic Synthesizer

Reply 15 of 30, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AVM Apex, oh yes, I had the oportunity to buy it when it was new, I bought something else instead, I still regret it.

I would add to the list the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage PCMCIA.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 16 of 30, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:

I bought this one recently as NOS. It's quite interesting in that it uses software synthesis with loadable sound banks instead of an FM chip.

Reply 17 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been trying to get an Audiotrix 3DXG for 5 years. I never seen one for sale.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 30, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote:
vmunix wrote:

I bought this one recently as NOS. It's quite interesting in that it uses software synthesis with loadable sound banks instead of an FM chip.

That's interesting indeed, I always thought it was a Hurricane chipset based (Digital I/O only) + midi controller but no synth. Do you have picture of the whole thing? A couple of years ago I saw it NOS on ebay but a very high price.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 19 of 30, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The table linked in that SNR thread named a bunch of weird ones. The LynxTwo? The Aardvark Direct Pro? The Event Darla?

But then, these might be professional studio hardware that isn't even compatible with standard DOS games.