VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently building a stand-alone wavetable synth around the NEC XR385. So far I already finished the power supply and am now working on the main board layout, which I will build on stripboard (unless someone can point me to an ultra-cheap PCB manufacturer).

It will be a pretty simple box, no fancy LCD or anything like that, only the following features:
- MIDI in / thru
- Analog in / out with volume control
- S/PDIF out
- Reset switch

Now I was thinking of adding a midi-out connector... Problem is, the XR385 never actually uses it, even though it IS connected to the controller. But it might come in handy if I ever decide to replace it with some other daughterboard. How about the Yamaha DB60XG? Does it ever respond to, say, parameter/bulk request, or ID requests? What IS the difference between the Yamaha- and NEC-branded DB60XG, anyway?

Do any other wavetable cards ever use the midi-out feature? Or the analog inputs? I am aware that the Waveblaster header is not exactly a standard, and some cards may use these pins for other purposes. One ESS card I have here uses the midi-out pin and one of the 5V pins for a digital audio output... Maybe there are more variations?

Last edited by jwt27 on 2013-12-11, 11:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've thought about that, and although that would make it completely stand-alone, it is a LOT of work. Controlling it from PC is much easier and works just as well. I'll only be using it with the PC anyway.

Here are some pictures of the power supply. It's probably a bit overkill.

d7ia.jpg

Other side: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4346/g6bz.jpg

It looks like a mess but that's just what you get when using perfboard.

Reply 4 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's what I meant, yes 😀

I'm currently attempting to separate the OPL3 signal from the YMF719... again. Now you might wonder what that has to do with this project. Well, I want to use the XR385 as effects processor for the OPL3 only, without the PCM sound.

Now I've done this before, but that was a really quick and dirty setup, and it's a miracle I ever got a decent noise level out of it. I got some better op-amps now, but I can't seem to get much more than about 60dB S-N ratio. Of course, it's all on breadboard now with long wires, and I only have to do as much as wave my hand over it to increase the noise level.

I did manage to measure the sampling rate of the YMF719's OPL3. I'm 99% sure it is exactly 49516Hz, 200Hz lower than the YMF262.

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

interesting project!
what are your thoughts on housing it?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

interesting project!
what are your thoughts on housing it?

I was thinking of making a steel case with a wood front panel, with the right tools that's not very hard to do. Unfortunately, I only have very basic tools so I'll have to see how good I can make it look.
If it doesn't end up looking the way I want it, I'll just buy one of those generic cast aluminium boxes used for electronics projects. I'll be aiming to make it about the same size as the X-fi elite pro breakout box, so it'll fit nicely on top of that.

And I need some text on it... But I don't know how. I have an embossed label printer but that's pretty ugly. Anyone has any ideas on that?

I just tried powering the OPL3 circuit with my own power supply (the one I posted earlier). Noise levels went down from about 55-60dB to 70-75dB (and up to 50 when I switch on my unshielded CRT 🤣). Looks like I need a new PSU, and a perhaps mainboard recap.

Here's a pretty "clean" sine wave from the YMF719s OPL3:

vhfl.jpg

As you can see, it's exactly 16 samples long, so calculating the sample rate from that was pretty easy 😀

Here it's playing my Tubelectric remix: http://imageshack.com/a/img22/4865/hgkg.jpg

Also I discovered you can actually make it clip using only 5 channels: http://imageshack.com/a/img40/8318/xq3e.jpg

Some of the noise I'm seeing: http://imageshack.com/a/img41/8940/esbh.jpg (edit: sorry, forgot to resize that one...)
Don't know what this is.. The spikes are spaced about 8ms apart (125Hz).

Reply 7 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now using a differential amp design which gets the noise down to -75dB, both with my own power supply and with the PC PSU. I guess that's good enough. Maybe a recap can bring it down even further.

I'll also add a PC speaker input, so I can mix that with the OPL3 signal and send both through the XR385 effects. I just tried that and it sounds pretty neat. Here's a quick example: https://app.box.com/s/zkvgzz0924gg4922dqjh

Reply 8 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow, speaker sounds great!!!
don't forget to post LOTS of pics 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 9, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's what I got for the OPL3 & PC speaker line-out stuff:

tdxj.png

Using a differential amp circuit here might seem like an unusual idea at first. But I found that it does help to bring the noise level down. I don't really like it though, as now the noise rejection depends upon how well the resistors are matched together. Maybe someone has any better ideas for that?