VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just spent a good hour wiggling, jiggling, and outright abusing my usb floppy drive while trying to get a disk to read. I got it though! 🤣

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The noises the drives make are occasionally interesting. And sometimes you can make interesting crafts with broken floppies.

And that's about the only good things I can think of.

Reply 2 of 5, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Floppy drives, like VHS and audio cassettes, are a form of technology I won't miss. I miss vinyl records to a degree, though CD's are better (and I know some people claim records sound better, but not me, I just like the look and size of LPs, and the way they crackled slightly just before they began to play, it made you think something good was about to play) and I much prefer audio CDs (or mp3 files) to audio cassettes, and DVD is much better than VHS cassettes, but vinyl I do miss a bit.

I mostly don't miss CRT TVs, except that some LCD TVs (which are otherwise much better than CRTs) can't handle older consoles (N64 older) as the resolution is too small for the new TVs to process), and I definitely don't miss CRT monitors, LCDs are much easier on the eyes, and give me far less of a head-achey feel (not a true headache, but sort of that (terrible) feeling.

Reply 3 of 5, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The very first time I heard a floppy drive do its thing, I was scared of it, mind you, I was only 3 or 4 years old. XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Later, cheaper, flimsier drives (especially the USB kind) are hardly very reliable... same goes for the media itself.

The very first time I heard a floppy drive do its thing, I was scared of it, mind you, I was only 3 or 4 years old. XD

I thought it was grinding that poor piece of plastic to shreds to get the data out. ;)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 5, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since the floppy drive occasionally became active without a command to read given by the user, or without a disk inserted, I thought that this the "thinking" process of the computer when it was pushed too hard. Later, when I was in school computer room, floppy drives buzzing was a singnal that someone is attempting to explore the computer beyond the intended ask.

I probably won't miss them either, due to poor reliability. The disks had to be formatted right, or they occasionaly wouldn't read back past a certain track on other drives. However, I included a floppy up to the end. I currently have an I965G motherboard, and it also has a floppy drive. But it's not reliable under Windows.

That is not entirely honest though. I did miss the floppy drive starting up when I installed a modern computer. And without A: drive something's clearly missing up there. I think I had one PC without the A: drive, and another PC where accessing it, made Explorer frezee quietly for a short period.