VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Few minutes ago i was looking on ebay for retro computer stuff.. Because i had almost / or most computer stuff here..
But i really didnt had where some of socket 7 coolers.. So was looking around, but most where to expensive price / shipping wise to my country..

Till i find this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& … em=321173534218

About $4 dollars for each processor cooler..
This shipping was on screen: US $26,92.. Its very much i know.. But i thought when i buying some more of those i can may cover the shipping cost..
So i thougt i can use 6 of those, so when they where that cheap i thought then ill take 8 off those.. thats about $ 32 USD.. But i need to pay in euros so its cheaper for me..
And on that action there was an advertismed so i dont have to pay the customs fee.. So thought that would be cheap.. But actually it is a hoax!!.

Now for 8 coolers i need to pay: $ 90,40 USD for the shipping (what i think its really a rip off or better said a bank theft) And then i need to pay $ 29.60 customs fee so i dont need to pay it when i receive those coolers..
I think on the shipping costs it just very big fraud!! How can it be that the shipping costs would grow that high!!.. I feel that i just got riped off!!

Last edited by Robin4 on 2013-11-26, 03:59. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It always pays to check with the seller before paying, but that shipping cost is not reasonable regardless.

For small things like that from the US for which the postage is inexplicably high, I always use a freight forwarding company called Shipito.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didnt have paid yet.. And the weird thing was i couldnt decide what to do.(couldnt see the big amount off shipping costs that where waiting on me) When you push on buy now, then its already to late.. After then i could see those shipping costs that where ment to me.

So i dont have a other opportunity then only pay this order??
I already made contact with that persoon.. But i dont think he will be that kind to reduce the amount off coolers to make it cheaper after all.. or cancel to whole order.. I dont think he`s that stupid off those cooler are already ~bought~

Reply 4 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats was iam thinking too. But yes i need that ebay account, iam dont use it for vintage computer parts only.. I also buy other stuff on ebay that i cant find here in my residence

Reply 5 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's extremely important to contact a seller on eBay ahead of time if you intend to buy multiple things from them and ask what the combined shipping would cost for what you want, otherwise stuff like this can happen with the automated system. You can try to contact the seller for a combined shipping cost now and see what they say, but because they haven't already given you one they're not obligated to provide one. (It's gonna depend on how nice the person is.)

If they refuse to offer a combined shipping rate, you COULD file a dispute saying that the shipping fees do not match what was quoted, but you're gonna need to do some research to figure out exactly how much the shipping should've cost for what you bought in the quantity you bought. You could also point out the misquoting on the customs fees thing.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For most eBay sales there is a shipping section at the bottom. You enter the quantity and it will calculate the combined shipping cost. Some are very good, some total rip-off like yours.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can send the seller a "Request for total cost" via eBay and ask for combined shipping in the comments. They can then update the total before you pay.

If they refuse and won't cancel the transaction, just don't pay. eBay doesn't really care and sellers can't leave negative feedback. I speak as a seller who's had plenty of non-paying buyers! The seller will get their fees back eventually.

Potentially they could file an unpaid item report for each item, but I doubt even then eBay would lock your account.

Reply 8 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would definitely contact the seller. There is an option for both parties to "walk away". The seller then just re-lists the item. Hopefully though you can work out an acceptable combined shipping cost.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is one of the main reasons that I left eBay and you need to cancel that transaction as soon as possible by any means. Don't pay for what can be had by dumpster diving and yard sales.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

If they refuse and won't cancel the transaction, just don't pay. eBay doesn't really care and sellers can't leave negative feedback.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Reply 12 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had some problems yesterday with my internet modem (the new one is dead) so i couldnt get connected to the internet.. An hour ago i have replaced the newer modem with an older one i still had as backup..
Now iam back.. Yesterday i got a mail from him.. The good news is i can cancel the whole order.. (thought he never would do it) But i really want does coolers.. For quality ones they are very hard to find..
So i ask him if he could ship it cheaper.. So i only what i have to do is wait on his reply and see what he could do for me.. Otherwise i just cancel it.

Reply 13 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For most eBay sales there is a shipping section at the bottom. You enter the quantity and it will calculate the combined shipping cost. Some are very good, some total rip-off like yours.

Where i bid on, i didnt saw anything for calculating the shipping costs.. I only saw 26 dollar. When i looked for my country it was just the same amount... But when i bought it then the problems came up. But some ebay seller just making profits on this traps and arent so friendly to cancel the order or so.

Can be closed this thread.. Ive already cancel it.. Save me a lot of money yeah!.