VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Flight simulators, space sims, racing and driving sims have a very long pedigree. However, they tend not to age as gracefully or maintain the popularity of classic RPGs or Adventure games. Sims like to push the envelope, and what may have been amazing in 1990 may seem downright clunky in 1994 and positively unplayable compared to a similar game released in 2000.

Some sims, space sims of the Wing Commander and Star Wars series, tend to have a prominent place when discussing issues with running or emulating games. The first has a branching plot line and cool cutscenes, and as for the second, well its Star Wars. What are some other sim-style DOS games that people not just remember fondly but also play today?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 25, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fleet Defender:

Great simulation of the F-14B Tomcat and its avionics. Great missions and fun when the avionics are mastered. Not an extremely difficult simulator. Released in 1994.

Formula One Grand Prix:

Classic F1 racing from Geoff Crammond. Accurate tracks, cars and drivers for 1991 Formula One season. Great game, loads of fun. A classic. Released in 1993.

This game was known in the US as World Circuit.

Just two small examples.

Reply 2 of 25, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

F-19 Stealth Fighter: This is a different simulator, because it was the first one that had "realistic" air defences simulation (range, detection, diverting CAPs to your last known position) and needs some planing before fliying.

Maybe 4D Sports: Driving was an option, but that was before Trackmania or Maniadrive were launched. Also, Stunts Car Racer was funny in 8 bit computers and Amiga... I don't know how good was it on PC.

Stunt Island is also a "one of a kind" simulator, and maybe someone keeps playing because there is no replacement.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 25, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:

F-19 Stealth Fighter: This is a different simulator, because it was the first one that had "realistic" air defences simulation (range, detection, diverting CAPs to your last known position) and needs some planing before fliying.

Was going to post the same. This and F-117. It'd be awesome if we had an updated version with today's graphics.

Reply 4 of 25, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

None really, but...
TIE Fighter Collectors CD (DOS) is not enterily obsolete in comparison to X-Wing Alliance.
The Flight Sims Jane's USNF / ATF + Addons (DOS) eventually had the largest stock planeset of any combat flight simulator. It got combined and ported to windows 95 as Fighters Anthology. Still fun.
The oldest combat simulations that are still king in their genre (IMHO) are Close Combat II and III from 1997/98, but that is windows 95 already. These are not 3D first person type of simulations, but 2D top down. Which helps in aging better.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 25, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a flightsim junkie I regularly fire up some of my old sims, some of it might be nostalgic but there is also an itch modern sims just can't seem to scratch and the older ones sometimes are more rewarding to play.
I'm a fan of the flightsims DID made back in the day, from F-29 Retaliator with its cool cold war scenarios, TFX of which I have to say the graphics are still good today, just don't try to gunfight with it and what ever you do don't try manual carrier landings 🤣, EF2000 is my favorite flightsimulator of all time though also very buggy.
Chuck Yeager's Aircombat, probably the most accessible flightsim ever made whilst still upholding the illusion of being a flightsimulator, it also plays very smooth.
AV8B Harrier Assault, simple but nice looking and very smooth graphics, also has desent physics for its time and a full fledged dynamic campaign.
Tornado, again I find the polygon graphics of this game still nice to look at, one of the few games that featured timed attacks, exhilarating!
Red Baron, Aces Of The Pacific, Aces Over Europe, simple yet fun flightsims, start the game and shoot down enemies within 40 seconds, not many games can do that!
I also play Digital Integrations Frontline fighters (Apache Longbow, Hind, F-16) in Dosbox, though these games have Windows versions which also feature 3dfx support, these cause nothing but problems for me so I play the dos versions.

I play games like Rise Of Flight and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 too though I consider them more study sims, flying campaings is mainly an excersize in frustration than anything else.

Reply 8 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gunship 2000. What other helo sim allows you to mix and match Apaches, Supercobras, Blackhawks, Defenders, and Kiowas in a flight? Even Jane's Longbow 2 only gives you three different helicopters.

Their Finest Hour and Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe. Exciting, action-oriented "flight model", combined with strategic gameplay. Total Air War has strategic gameplay, but it is a "real" sim. Crimson Skies is a nice action-oriented flight sim, but it lacks strategic gameplay.

F-16 Combat Pilot. The very first flight sims to include squadron strategy - even before Falcon 3.0! Too bad its throttle control doesn't work well with throttle device, so stick with keyboard for throttle control.

I didn't play Tornado, but read many good things about it, so I guess it deserves honorary mention. Is that true that the game is very difficult?

A-10 Tank Killer. Probably counts as "underdog" since it's not as "legendary" as previous mentions, but its mission structure is nicely designed that you work in concert with ground forces instead of "you against the world" model. Here's a mission I remember too well; you have to destroy enemy tanks as swiftly as possible to make way for friendly ground forces. If you're successful, friendly ground forces will destroy enemy SAMs, which makes the mission easier. If you fail, your friendly ground forces will be destroyed by enemy tanks, leaving enemy SAMs intact, and making your mission more difficult to finish.

I remember the first time I played that particular mission. After successfully destroying those tanks, first I thought it was merely for extra points and nothing else. But then I checked the map, and got surprised when those SAM circles suddenly disappeared. Then I almost jumped in excitement. "Wow, those friendly ground forces are not there for nothing! They really wiped out enemy SAMs!"

If you count late, SVGA DOS flight sims, then Jane's Advanced Tactical Fighters should be put on pedestal as well.

Anyway, how could anyone miss Strike Commander?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 25, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Procyon wrote:

... Chuck Yeager's Aircombat, probably the most accessible flightsim ever made whilst still upholding the illusion of being a flightsimulator, it also plays very smooth ...

Yeah, that was fun shooting down the Phantoms with the Fw-190.

BTW, wanna see von Richtofen's Fliegender Zirkus live? 😀 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iJpzsbsD2M

Let the air flow!

Reply 10 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While we're at it....

Do we really need super-realistic physics and flight model? The reason I'm still playing DOS sims is that they're more accessible - and arguably more fun than today's flight sims. Yes, I know IL-2 Sturmovik is highly praises by hardcore flightsimmers and critics alike, but to me, playing the game with all realism cranked up is an exercise of frustration. Maybe, maybe if I dedicated enough time to practice, then I'd be able to appreciate the game. Until then...

Well take a look at Microprose F-19 Stealth Fighter. Its flight model is far away from being realistic, but it gives you the right feel of flying a stealth fighter. For instance, you don't win the game by shooting down as many enemy aircraf yt s yu can; you win the game by avoiding detection and achieving your objectives without gaining attention. Also, the mission objectives are tailored in such way to enhance the "stealth experience", like secretly landing on a secret airstrip in the middle of the night to deliver supplies.

Imagine if the game faithfully adopts the "wobbly goblin"'s flight model. Players will need to spend weeks, if not months, to learn how to maintain stable flight without crashing. Will it be fun? Maybe, but I'd rather experience the thrill right away without the frustration part. This, after all, is PC game, not PC real life.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 11 of 25, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some sim's i used to play back then:

Silent Hunter http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/silent-hunter

Das Boot http://www.mobygames.com/game/das-boot-german … boat-simulation not as realistic as silent hunter

Grand Prix 1 and Grand Prix 2 http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/grand-prix-ii

Indycar Racing 1 and 2 from Papyrus.

Nascar Racing 1 and 2 also from Papyrus.

Also remeber playing F19 stealth fighter on my spectrum zx clone http://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/f-1 … ter/screenshots

Reply 12 of 25, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
While we're at it.... […]
Show full quote

While we're at it....

Do we really need super-realistic physics and flight model? The reason I'm still playing DOS sims is that they're more accessible - and arguably more fun than today's flight sims. Yes, I know IL-2 Sturmovik is highly praises by hardcore flightsimmers and critics alike, but to me, playing the game with all realism cranked up is an exercise of frustration. Maybe, maybe if I dedicated enough time to practice, then I'd be able to appreciate the game. Until then...

Well take a look at Microprose F-19 Stealth Fighter. Its flight model is far away from being realistic, but it gives you the right feel of flying a stealth fighter. For instance, you don't win the game by shooting down as many enemy aircraf yt s yu can; you win the game by avoiding detection and achieving your objectives without gaining attention. Also, the mission objectives are tailored in such way to enhance the "stealth experience", like secretly landing on a secret airstrip in the middle of the night to deliver supplies.

Imagine if the game faithfully adopts the "wobbly goblin"'s flight model. Players will need to spend weeks, if not months, to learn how to maintain stable flight without crashing. Will it be fun? Maybe, but I'd rather experience the thrill right away without the frustration part. This, after all, is PC game, not PC real life.

Realistic physics or flightmodel isn't really the problem IMO, a modern fighter jet like an F-16 is not difficult to fly, what makes the plane difficult is the whole set of computers it needs to fight, it takes real pilots literaly years to master these systems, the same can be said about modern attack helicopters like the AH-64, so Falcon 4 or Longbow 2 are not my idea of a game when it takes so many practice to make a lock and fire a missile, these games basically throw you into the deep and have you figure it out yourself, only pilots who actually have flown these things know how to operate them and effectively fight in them.
I have a Fokker DR.I Triplane in RoF and while it is difficult to handle it took me only half an hour or so to figure it out that it is a plane that you need to let it do its thing and just give it some guidance in where you want it to go instead of donkeying it around and while RoF has scaleble difficulty for the enemy which makes it at least give you a chance, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 enemies are so deadly you are really at a serious disadvantage, turretgunners that have lasers instead of machineguns and fighterpilots that have omni awereness and aparently shoot with howitzers because while I literaly have to pump my entire ammostores into them they seem just to need one or two shots.

Reply 13 of 25, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... Do we really need super-realistic physics and flight model? ...

A question of taste I guess. For me the more hardcore the attempt at realism, the better.

Let the air flow!

Reply 14 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Procyon wrote:
While we're at it.... […]
Show full quote

While we're at it....

Realistic physics or flightmodel isn't really the problem IMO, a modern fighter jet like an F-16 is not difficult to fly, what makes the plane difficult is the whole set of computers it needs to fight, it takes real pilots literaly years to master these systems,

Ah, I forgot to add that when it goes to jet sims, then the problem is not realistic physics and flight models, but realistic avionics instead.

Doesn't mean that all DOS sims are free of such problems, though. Have you ever successfully landed the aircraft in F-16 Combat Pilot without automatic landing? Me neither.

Procyon wrote:

the same can be said about modern attack helicopters like the AH-64, so Falcon 4 or Longbow 2 are not my idea of a game when it takes so many practice to make a lock and fire a missile, these games basically throw you into the deep and have you figure it out yourself, only pilots who actually have flown these things know how to operate them and effectively fight in them.

"Middle-ground" flight sims were much more common during the DOS era. Even supposedly realistic flight sims like F-15 Strike Eagle III or Gunship 2000 are nowhere as difficult as today's flight sims. Today's flight sims seem to fall into two extreme ends; either faithfully realistic sims like Sturmovik, or "arcade game with aircraft" like Tom Clancy's HAWX.

Procyon wrote:

I have a Fokker DR.I Triplane in RoF and while it is difficult to handle it took me only half an hour or so to figure it out that it is a plane that you need to let it do its thing and just give it some guidance in where you want it to go instead of donkeying it around and while RoF has scaleble difficulty for the enemy which makes it at least give you a chance, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 enemies are so deadly you are really at a serious disadvantage, turretgunners that have lasers instead of machineguns and fighterpilots that have omni awereness and aparently shoot with howitzers because while I literaly have to pump my entire ammostores into them they seem just to need one or two shots.

To me, that's the least of my problem.

See, the first time IL-2 Sturmovik came around, I bought the game with anticipation.... only to find that during my first flight, I wasn't killed by enemy's fire, but by stalling instead. Turned out that pulling your stick to the extreme puts you in a stall, and it's hard to recover from stall that I ended up crashing to the ground.

Ooookay, so I eventually overcame the problem by practice, then I started basic gunnery. I'm using a nimble Bf-109 against unarmed IL-2s while setting enemy AI to the dumbest possible...

Turned out it's very hard to hit enemy aircraft with your bullets, despite it's flying straight without evasive maneuvers whatsoever. Then I found some articles that says the aircrafts in Sturmovik don't have "hit bubbles", that the bullets' trajectory is modeled with realistic physics, and so on, and so on.

Maybe, maybe if I have enough time for gunnery practice, I can eventually shoot down something. But I was too busy for that. Meanwhile, I turn to DOSBOX and play DOS flight sims instead.

Reply 15 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

... Do we really need super-realistic physics and flight model? ...

A question of taste I guess. For me the more hardcore the attempt at realism, the better.

Of course. I merely explained the reason why I'm still playing DOS flight sims, because the faithfully realistic modern flight sims apparently do not fit my taste.

Maybe, maybe if I have more time to practice, I'll eventually enjoy them. But meanwhile I'm sticking with DOSBOX and Gunship 2000.

Reply 17 of 25, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... Turned out that pulling your stick to the extreme puts you in a stall, and it's hard to recover from stall that I ended up crashing to the ground ...

... Turned out it's very hard to hit enemy aircraft with your bullets, despite it's flying straight without evasive maneuvers whatsoever. Then I found some articles that says the aircrafts in Sturmovik don't have "hit bubbles", that the bullets' trajectory is modeled with realistic physics, and so on, and so on ...

That's exactly the hardcore stuff I like 😁 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7M8IYizK4

Let the air flow!

Reply 18 of 25, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Virtually all the games mentioned so far make my list - with a special spot reserved for Grand Prix I aka World Circuit, Grand Prix 2 [Microprose], Indycar Racing 1 & 2 [Papyrus].

I'll add the following too:

NASCAR Racing 1 Sierra
AV-8B Harrier Assault Domark relatively unknown and greatly under rated air combat sim
Aces of the Pacific Dynamix
Aces Over Europe Dynamix
Red Baron Dynamix
1942 Pacific Air War Microprose
Hind DID Though I play the 3dfx/Windows version but it did ship with a DOS version

I tend to shy away from early jet sims since low res really hurts the avionics aspect of the experience, though Harrier and Hind really work for me. Prop era sims suffer much less from primitive graphics so long as the flight model has convincing 'stick feel' and you stick mostly to air duels rather than ground support missions where crude graphics can be a little distracting - though not necessarily deal breakers.

Racing titles came of age with World Circuit, which once you get past the very primitive graphics supports what is *still* a very convincing and satisfying road feel. It's sequel GP2 is a true classic and still a worthy ride, and I still like to get into the cockpit of any of the early Sierra/Papyrus racing sims. I keep an analog Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro wheel/stick/pedal set just for these.

Still keep almost all of the games mentioned so far installed and ready to go since many are very well crafted games.

Reply 19 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

... Turned out that pulling your stick to the extreme puts you in a stall, and it's hard to recover from stall that I ended up crashing to the ground ...

... Turned out it's very hard to hit enemy aircraft with your bullets, despite it's flying straight without evasive maneuvers whatsoever. Then I found some articles that says the aircrafts in Sturmovik don't have "hit bubbles", that the bullets' trajectory is modeled with realistic physics, and so on, and so on ...

That's exactly the hardcore stuff I like 😁 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7M8IYizK4

Have I seen you at SimHQ before? 🤣

Just for records, I haven't actually given up on manual landing in F-16 Combat Pilot yet. 😉