Common searches

Half-Life vs. Unreal

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought Half Life the other day, and playing it for the first time, admittedly I was already bored 10 minutes in. 😜 Unreal on the other hand, the first time I played it about 2 years ago, I was absolutely floored by what they managed to pull off using the technology of the time. I didn't get too far in the campaign since I'm not much into single-player FPSs, but what I played of it was amazing.

Reply 41 of 42, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Half-Life was 10 times better. To me, it was Hogan's Alley in 3D with alien invaders popping out everywhere instead of gangsters. I enjoyed it until it became more difficult. I didn't finish it. (I gave up after my 10th fall into a bottomless pit that could only be crossed by hopping from spindly platform to spindly platform. I can pass this kind of challenge in Commander Keen or Mega Man games, but not in 3D games. I think this is because I can't judge my position well because I can't see where my feet are and where they need to go at the same time from a consistent perspective. Hence, I am a retro gamer.)

Unreal Tournament I never enjoyed. My roommate liked it, so I know what it is. I died once and quit. It seemed like random abstract chaos. I was like...

tmp_images1613746799.jpeg
Filename
tmp_images1613746799.jpeg
File size
4.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I suppose that my opinion doesn't count for much since I've never liked any FPS game enough to finish it.

Reply 42 of 42, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont think I have an answer to that question, I expect if I was going to play one or the other anytime soon it would be Unreal because I've only finished it once but I don't think I'd say one or the other. What I should do is go finish Strife instead that sounds like a much better idea.