Common searches

Which OS on a faster 486 system.

Topic actions

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had brainstormed alot.. But actually i cant decide what to go for.. I know my dad used Dos 6.22 years back, but his system had an 540MB harddisk in that system. But on my opinion i think a 540MB is a little bit small when installing an ton on games on that computer. I really like to install an 3,2 GB a at least an 4GB harddisk in that system, maybe i decide later to go bigger. But that choice relays on what decision iam going to make.

I really want to installing red alert 1 and C&C on those systems again.. I know theres the ms-dos version and the windows 95 version.. I really liked those `HD` upgraded graphics.. And i guess that windows 95 version had more advanced choices in that game. (example: I guess that dos version of red alert never had FAKE buildings you can use, but the windows 95 version did, i also like that map editor so you actually could make your own custom maps.) I also checked the system requirements for red alert Dos and windows version..

It seems the dos version can cope with an 486 DX 2 66 Mhz machine, Vga graphics, 8MB system ram, an sound blaster compatible card and others..
The windows 95 version needs to have windows 95, pentium system, 8MB system ram, VGA graphics, sound blaster compatible card and others

Because i should have win95 to use the win95 version of RA it wouldnt be a problem on a 486 system to install that.. But i really like to know if that pentium processor is really needed to play this version of red alert.(is this because of speed a need to have an pentium processor? Or does it because of the instruction set the pentium has and the 486 processor wont ?. And it would work with an DX4 120mhz or AMD 5x86 P75 - 133 as well.. The other game i want to play is warcraft II (also 1 but that doesnt seems to be a problem) On the box is saying that is windows 95 compatible..so i
incline to go for an installation of windows 95.. Not to want the newest os installed on this computer, but more for compatible reasons.

The downside of dos for me is its limitation on 2GB partitions, that why i choose not an to big harddisk because i can split it in two partitions.. And maybe 3 or 4 GB isnt very big on 486 system, but it is very useable incompared with a very smaller 500MB or less harddisk.. I really dont want to make an high performances pentium system of it.. I only want to run most of those games on that system..

Other guess i was thinking, was to go for an installation on PC-DOS 7.10 or so.. But actually i really dont know if this is the way i need to follow.
Can someone give me advise on this.. Iam also going to make an pentium 233 mhz rig.. I only want to play pentium games only on that system..
So i really like to play the red alert 1 and Command and Conquer 1 with better graphics on that 486 system, but i needs to be compatible with other 486 games too.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isnt it better when using ms-dos 6.22 better going for an 4 GB HDD because you can make 2 partitions on the drive.. So it isnt actually worth to installing windows 95 over dos when maybe the most games would be dos only..
About that storage thing through network, it could be possible.. But i havent any experience to set it up. And i think it would be better to only put storage in the system only..

Reply 4 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you can create up to four 2GB partitions with FAT16.

In terms of games a 486 will always be limited. It is good for DOS 3D games like Doom or Descent, however a Pentium will always be that little bit faster.

Once again I recommend a Super Socket time-machine because it covers a very wide range of games.

I remember having an AMD 486DX-4 100MHz and not many Windows games on that machine. Windows for me took off when I moved to a Pentium 133. Tomb Raider 2, Wing Commander Prophecy.

But then again my memory gets blurry thinking about what I played on which system.

The 486 was definitely awesome for Doom, Descent 3D, Duke Nukem and System Shock.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, so the best way is still go with dos 6.22? And maybe an Windows 3.11 WFW installation besides dos.. So there arent much win95 compatible games that still uses the 486 systems..
I also have pentium stuff here, so i can still build an pentium 133 non mmx with an first grade socket 7 motherboard if i want to.. But just really like to have an 486 system instead..
There also will be an pentium 233 MMX system to so the rest of the games i could just move to the pentium 233 mmx one.

Reply 6 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.11 on my DX2-80 system years ago. I think Windows 95 is only going to add bloat to a 486 system and Windows 95 games will run a lot better on a Pentium anyway. An overclocked POD would make Win95 more viable but probably not for gaming with the more restrictive 486 memory bus choking off some of the POD's performance. You probably won't be able to use very many of the better video or sound cards supported by Windows 95 in a 486 motherboard, either.

Reply 7 of 29, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's going to be a DOS-only machine, why not use a Windows 98SE boot disk to fdisk, format and then sys the drive - then you get the benefit of using FAT32 with partitions as large as you want (the full size of that drive you've got [and bigger]) ... to games, it's still just DOS.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 8 of 29, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are no gameplay differences (buildings, etc...) between the DOS and Win9x versions of red alert.
I played red alert pretty well on my SX33 @40MHz back in the days under DOS 6.22, but the DX2 @ 80 was much better.
The Win9X starts to be acceptable on a pentium (or a really fast DX4, but I didn't try). (played it mostly on an overkill 200MHz pentium P54C)
Recommended Rigs are pretty accurate for those games.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 9 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote:

If it's going to be a DOS-only machine, why not use a Windows 98SE boot disk to fdisk, format and then sys the drive - then you get the benefit of using FAT32 with partitions as large as you want (the full size of that drive you've got [and bigger]) ... to games, it's still just DOS.

Then you dont have the tools that comes with dos 6.22. You only have the command.com an other `start up` software installed.

Reply 10 of 29, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what exactly do you need from dos 6.22 that is not contained in 7.10? help.com? 😁

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 12 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have played around with MS-DOS 6.22 and 7.1 for an extensive period and in terms of compatibility I didn't encounter a game that or benchmark or utility that gave issues. However MS-DOS 7.1 has a slightly larger memory footprint. It's not a big deal, but worth pointing out.

The easiest way to get going is to head to bootdisc.com and create a MS-DOS 6.22 or 7.1 floppy. It comes with most drivers like HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.EXE, MSCDEX...

I might make a video about each method because this question comes up all the time.

Personally it all depends on how much storage you need. I also don't recommend going above 30GB for a single FAT32 partition. Some command line utilities "check out" with more. There are detailed documents on the Microsoft server if anyone is interested. I found that a single 30GB partition works on very large HDDs (250 GB, 320GB) if you use a PCI Sata controller. But then you will have an issue with a handful of games and Roland MPU401 because of ACPI. On some boards you can disable ACPI, but on most you can't.

Quite a few games fit on 2GB. But as soon as you start with CD-ROM games, games that have speech, you want to go FAT32.

It also depends on the machine. On my 386 I just use a single 500MB FAT16 partition on a CF card.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 29, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My solution to the same 486 DX/66 issue was simply to install a drive caddy and run W95a off a Quantum FB 3gb drive, and 6.22 off a second 540mb drive. The physical swap is fast and easy, but I soon found I almost *never* loaded the 6.22 drive since booting to pure dos right out of W95 [dos 7.1 I think] achieved essentially the same thing. And that's if I needed pure dos at all - most of the time a simple Win dosbox would do the trick in the first place. So I agree with Mau1wurf1977 that 6.22 is not strictly critical if 7.1 [via W95] is available.

Reply 15 of 29, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding Red Alert 95 on a 486 platform its going to be a huge struggle, Back in the day I had a cyrix 5x86-100/32mb of ram and Red Alert with windows 95 would play okay for the first level and started slowing down by the second, even under dos in the later missions would crawl in dos, I would'nt even think about it unless you had an overclocked AM5x86-160 it might have just enough grunt under windows 95 for svga but I wouldn't count on it.

Reply 16 of 29, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rule of thumb is, that for good Windows 9x experience, you need a Pentium class computer.

So 486 is a good DOS 5+, Windows 3.1x machine 😀

If you want nice 32bit modern experience, go with OS/2 Warp or somekind of minimalist LINUX distro.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 17 of 29, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote:

Rule of thumb is, that for good Windows 9x experience, you need a Pentium class computer.

So 486 is a good DOS 5+, Windows 3.1x machine 😀

Agreed, though personally I have no issue running W95a with the particular menagerie of games I have installed - anything more demanding gets assigned to one of the more powerful retro rigs. But from the previous comments Red Alert may not be a good fit for a 486 system to begin with, regardless of OS.

Reply 18 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 of my favourite things 486's and the original C&C/RA 😀

Originally I only ever played on a 486 in DOS and still prefer this. Plus the installer is awesome. Bigger RA maps struggled a bit but playable
BUT...
For the most complete C&C experience you really need to patch the game and these are written for the 95 versions of the game (or even better C&C the last decade)
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/ … es.html#add_oth

The patches are meant to allow you to play in WinXP but I just install/patch in XP and copy the games across to my Win98 machine. Run the game and it will complain about a dll or something, just copy an unmodified file from a 2nd C&C install and you get all the missing cutscenes, music, units, etc.

I got the 1st decade cheap from a game trade in shop. but I think the site has patches for the original 95 games as well. the main ones you want are
Nyerguds' Red Alert main.mix cleanup
C&C95 patch 1.06

It took this for me to "upgrade" to the hi res interface. which will lag on a 486. No reason you cant have it on both though!
If you are going the 486 option I would also go for MS Dos 7 OK its not the full OS, but if its a Games PC you don't need all the disk tools, memmaker, etc.
Anything that may be useful (edit.com is high on my list) you can just copy from the c:\windows\command folder anyway

Reply 19 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats already what iam afraid off..That MS-DOS 7.10 wasnt a full OS. Other option that i have could be PC-DOS 7.10.. Is it true this is an full os? I guess it was.. and having Fat 32 support as well.
Iam thinking it would be better go for the 95 versions off C&C and RA1.. I like those better because of the high-resolution.

Iam only doubt if iam going for PC-Dos 7.10 and FAT 32.. OR leave it just on Dos 6.22 on fat 32 and better use two harddisk with 2 partitions on each disk.. My head is more in that way..