VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't seem to make heads or tales out of the .BIN file in the game, it's using some weird form of XMI (the game surprisingly makes use of Miles sound system) and any files I rip out with dragonunpacker dealing with the .XMI files is unplayable...

Of all the MIDI sites I've been to I've never managed to find this game's music extracted 1:1 from the game's files, I'm wondering if this is even possible or should I just bite the bullet and raw record the tracks and manually trim them?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's only able to export the loading screen music... the actual level music is not ripped and those are the .XMI files that are really really odd...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just made a small tool to extract data from Cyberbykes *.BIN files. So far I cannot determine what's wrong with XMI files.

The only playable things are *.INT files; seems that UXX extracts these *.INT files and fails to extract strange *.XMI files that lack any signatures.

Note the FLAG variable: for files that look normal, it is zero, and those files whose FLAG is non-zero look FUBAR. Should be either compression or encoding.

Attachments

• Filename
    cyberb.zip
    File size
    18.37 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 15, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

leileilol is correct.. the music is in the LVL files (compressed), for example if you look into "WARWICK.LVL" then you will find the text "seattle.xmi".
I used savestates with dosbox when playing warvick level and then i copied the Seattle.XMI from the save file using a hexeditor, it plays perfect in both Xmiplay and PX

Reply 6 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow I would of never imagined it's compressed...

Which dosbox build uses savestates? DaumCafe? In either case I would love to debug this program and figure out a way to decompress the .LVL files...

EDIT: Bristlehog your programs really set off Avast!'s stupidity... I take it it's because of the UPX Packer you're using?

God I hate this "Evo-Gen" BS that's happened with avast....

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't figure out what to do with the savestates Daum saves, so I suppose there's a different SVN build that saves RAM dumps of the program in execution?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Bristlehog your programs really set off Avast!'s stupidity... I take it it's because of the UPX Packer you're using?

Yes, I pack my programs with UPX except for PX, which is packed with aPACK to maintain XT compatibility.

Reply 10 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Yes, I pack my programs with UPX except for PX, which is packed with aPACK to maintain XT compatibility.

Oh okay... yeah avast hates any packed executable, I've been having to keep the damn thing off ever since the 4.x series.

Stefan_L wrote:

leileilol is correct.. the music is in the LVL files (compressed), for example if you look into "WARWICK.LVL" then you will find the text "seattle.xmi".
I used savestates with dosbox when playing warvick level and then i copied the Seattle.XMI from the save file using a hexeditor, it plays perfect in both Xmiplay and PX

Could you point me out to the specific DosBOX you used that allows such savestates so I may rip the XMI's that way?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using that right now actually but I don't know how you're able to get the XMI's out of the save states, though I'm not really sure what exactly I'm supposed to do with said save states to begin with...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there are any XMI files in savestates file, UXX should extract them.

Reply 14 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "savestate" is a PKZip file containing a bunch of subfiles, when I extract the "Memory" file and look through it in a hex editor I find no tell tale signs of a XMI in it. And UXX detects nothing as a result.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 15, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm.. it seems newer versions of svn-daum is handling save states differnt from the older version i used, you should try and get an older version if possible 😀