VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to locate a thread about this topic but didn't find one.

There are various apps that can use an SSD as a caching drive for the OS but have not found anything that seems to work for me, most are only available via OEM and not the end user.

Of course for me this would be for Windows 7 or 8 and not Linux as I've found some for that OS.

I found one called eBoostr but it's trialware and it didn't give me a long enough time to compare any benefits before it timed out and quite.

Not sure I want to waste money on something I can't use for at least a few days before it stops working.

My gaming machine already has multiple SSD's and they kick ass for sure, but this is on my file/email/general purpose machine, it used a 1TB WD Black HDD as the Boot/OS drive so I'm looking to use my old Kingston 64GB SSD to augment things but so far nothing is coming into play/

Tried using Windows 7 Readyboost, it does nothing as I have too fast a drive and tons of ram so it gives no benefit there.

Any advice or ideas ?

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't bother for home use.

For an enterprise running a SAN and generating high IOPS, using an SSD cache to serialize IO before it reaches the platters can give a good performance boost (but this is highly dependent on workload - random read/writes to many different, smaller files will benefit more from this than fewer, larger files).

But for a single home user, you're not going to come anywhere near those kinds of workloads.

Just install your OS and locate your pagefile on an SSD and be done with it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 5, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

SSD as cache is an option, I use it to write cache the SSD to extend its life and speed things up with deferred writes set to four hours.

Reply 3 of 5, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Same here, Primocache (ex-Fancycache) works like a charm. It has an option to use all or part of an SSD as L2 cache (L1 is in RAM) for HDDs.

Their ramdisk is also very good.

i906759_Primo.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 4 of 5, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see the point of the l2 cache option really, I think setting up deferred cache for a drive is better. I also bought 32GB of ram for caching purposes, currently 16 for cache, 16 for system. The low cost of memory makes the drive as cache solution on the superfluous side of things.