VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. What's with the "Voodoo" GL driver setting? I guess it's supposed to be a MCD for 3dfx cards but it seems pointless since even Voodoo1 was supposed to have an ICD at this point and would run the games. I couldn't find any files in the game folder that would hint at it anyway, and it doesn't seem to work on Voodoo3+ either.

2. Why is there an option to turn off GL extensions when the game could just detect and use the appropriate ones anyway? In fact in Voyager Elite Force it suggests to turn this off in the readme specifically for Voodoo3 due to possible graphical corruption, but performance would obviously suffer without multitexturing etc.

Reply 1 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect leileilol will have insight. 😀

I tend to simply ignore those settings. The Voodoo GL seems like something leftover from development when perhaps it had use with older Voodoo drivers. GL extensions is surely a troubleshooting option for cards with awful GL support.

Reply 2 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Setting "Voodoo" will set r_gldriver to 3dfxvgl (ICD included with more recent V1/V2 drivers). It's meant for selecting the Voodoo Graphics/Voodoo2. It will use this first if it detects a Voodoo1/2 card (on the assumption that host card is 2D only). If you have a Voodoo Banshee and up this setting shouldn't even matter.

Some drivers of the less common chipsets implement certain extensions badly like Rage Pro and S3 Savage4, so it's a safe fallback for those that screw up...

also THERE IS NO HIDDEN DIRECT3D WRAPPER

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

also THERE IS NO HIDDEN DIRECT3D WRAPPER

We can't be sure... 🤣

Back on topic:
The GL driver option is just an alternate way to switch between opengl32.dll and 3dfxvgl.dll. V1/V2 didn't utilize HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLdrivers registry key (they were secondary cards). Without this option you would have to rename 3dfxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll to make the game work in Glide mode.

Reply 7 of 7, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

Wait, wasn't there something about this as well...

😉

Nah, our thread wasn't that epic... 😉

If I knew you were only referring to classification I wouldn't even make a post.
And I'm glad we made that thread. After all, everybody learned something. 😀