VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 41 of 53, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Ah like that, but then it would be (2^32)-1.

That's only 2 giga.

4GB comes from 2^32 + 2^31 + 2^30 + ... + 2^2 + 2^1 + 2^0. Or just (2^33)-1.

Or am I missing something? I'm quite possibly missing something. In any case, EIP definitely can't point anywhere above 4GB.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 44 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

Look what appeared at BUILD today: For all you start menu fans

About time. Why didn't they have the foresight to do this from the start? 🤣 (pun intended)

Reply 46 of 53, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically they announced at //build that a future update (Threshold) will bring back the start menu and let Metro apps float on the desktop (ie Windows..now with Windows!). No real specifics were given - WYSIWYG - whether that's final form or not is unclear. There have been internal deliberations about whether to bring back the actual Start Menu or some sort of Metrofied hybrid. What was shown is the latter.

Reply 47 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you think running an old OS like WinNT 4.0 might be more impervious to viruses since the virus program may not be able to run?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 48 of 53, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

How about some context for that image? April 1st isn't that far behind us.

It likely won't be in Windows 8 according to the blog post it's associated with:
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwi … build-2014.aspx

"Preview of work in the next iteration of Windows" is about all they'll say.

Reply 49 of 53, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Do you think running an old OS like WinNT 4.0 might be more impervious to viruses since the virus program may not be able to run?

Depends on how it's programmed. Some are very specfic exploiting zero days. Some require a user to execute a program or click a link.

If the program or link download a program then windows is windows and it should work, unless the malware requires a newer windows API or dependency.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 50 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One day to go until the end of the world. An article appeared on my work's intranet today announcing that a windows 7 roll-out will begin "soon" to upgrade or replace the thousands of PC's we have still running on XP. Seems a little late in the day to me but what do I know?

Our wintel team has been devastated by rampant outsourcing recently so maybe we're an exception, but what's happening at other people's workplaces? Did you move to 7 long ago? Anyone going to 8??

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 53 of 53, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Our wintel team has been devastated by rampant outsourcing recently so maybe we're an exception, but what's happening at other people's workplaces? Did you move to 7 long ago? Anyone going to 8??

Honestly aside from either dated personal machines, or machines that are explicitly chosen to run older operating systems, I haven't seen Windows XP "in the wild" in a couple of years (be it at workplaces, libraries, etc). I was/am admittedly surprised to hear about large organizations/networks that still run XP - but I'm guessing it goes along with companies that still INSIST on IE6.0 to support their archaic Intranet applications. 😵

I've not seen Windows 8 anywhere but retail stores or friends with brand-new mass-market machines.