VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello every body 😀 I'm starting to like old games after keeping a old computer my uncle gave. After googling some much I'm indecided, so waht games do you recommend? I'm really hapy with this idea. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

do a youtube search for "dos top games" (or similar terms) and you'll get many results... kind of hard to answer your original question, what pc you have, what games you like, etc etc ... with youtube you can see the games and decide to get some to play

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 18, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the answer, it really helped. I will try one must fall
lode runner
leisure suit larry 6
worms armaggedon
pod planet of death
omikron nomad soul
doom 2
age of empires 2
need for speed 3
carmaggedon 2
commander keen
tyrian
thief the dark project
epic pinball
simcity 3000 unlimited
unreal tournament
out of this world
duke nukem 3d

The PC I have is a Compaq 5000 with Celeron processor and 128MB of ram memory.

The games I like, I play some fifa and burnout on my ps2 and tanki online, minecraft on my dad pc.

Thank you keropi, I have some old games to try now! 😀

Reply 3 of 18, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feirabranco wrote:

Thank you for the answer, it really helped. I will try
age of empires 2
carmaggedon 2

IMO, Carmageddon 1 and Age of Empires 1 are much better than the second. Also Dungeon Keeper 1 is a very good game from the same time period.

Reply 5 of 18, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're hoping to understand what DOS gaming was for a certain period of time, then these games dominated my life:

Apogee Games:
• Raptor
• Alien Carnage
• Bio Menace
• many more...
Blood 1
Crusader No Regret
Dark Forces
Doom 1/2 + Lots & lots of PWADS
Descent 1
Duke3d
EF2000
Jane's Simulations:
• USNF
• ATF
MechWarrior 2 + Mercs + GBL (I love these games the most!)
Sim City 2000
Tyrian 2000
XWing / Tie Fighter

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of classic gaming.

Reply 6 of 18, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, thank you. I want to learn and also have fun. Not only DOS but also Windows games. After research I understand there are too much games in the PC, so I keep to the 90's. Initialy I wanted also consoles games, but now I think just PC and just 90's is more wise. 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stellar 7, preferably the CD copy so you can enjoy the voice acting done to Gir Draxon that will make you think he's the MCP from Tron.

Speaking of Raptor, there's also DemonStar which was done by the same people, hell the ship you fly in that is called "RaptorX"... The music in that game is amazing too.

If you can find a copy I also suggest the original retail release of Unreal 1 (NOT UNREAL GOLD), it is a very interesting experience to be had playing that without patching it though be warned there is a bug in the retail version that renders your carried armour useless when loading a save game. (I've thought about figuring out a fix to use but never gotten around to debugging why it happens)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 18, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rodimus80 wrote:

Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was and is a great game. Playing it through right now actually. The 90s was a Golden Age for Lucasarts.

Aye! 😁

If you like strategy games more than action/adventure games, you might also consider:

Empire Earth (may be a little rough depending on how powerful the Celeron is - it's a bit new (Y2K I think))
Command & Conquer
Red Alert
Total Annihilation
Master of Orion (and its first sequel)
of course StarCraft and WarCraft II as well, but those aren't "rare" games

If you like role-playing games, you might also look for Daggerfall (free from Bethesda) or Diablo as well. Depending on the computer's hardware, Diablo II might run, and if the system is fairly new Morrowind may even run (that's MUCH newer than anything else mentioned here - it requires at least a 500Mhz CPU, but you meet the RAM requirement so maybe the system meets other requirements too). There's also Fallout and Fallout 2, which I've variably heard to be free or very discounted these days.

Reply 13 of 18, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

If you can find a copy I also suggest the original retail release of Unreal 1 (NOT UNREAL GOLD)

Any particular reason to prefer one over the other?

PCGames9505

Reply 14 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just stated in my post why to get the retail release of Unreal 1.

Playing without any patches offers a very interesting (and difficult) gameplay experience. The patches overtime dumbed down and broke certain AI features, of which I can only presume because people complained about the game being too hard back then.

The dispersion pistol trail and classical sounds are fluff really but still I prefer the old sounds than the ones they ended up replacing everything with that carried onto UT99. (or the other way around...?)

The only thing you'll suffer problems with is that the savegames are broken. If you load from a save your armour is rendered completely useless, picking up the same type of armour will not solve the problem. The only way to fix it is to use the console to killall your armour items one classname at a time and summon them back again. But you can easily complete Unreal in a single sitting if you're careful.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 18, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rodimus80 wrote:

What are your PC specs? What are we working with?

EDIT: Didn't see that you did. My bad.

it is a celeron 1200 with 128MB ram and whatever onboard videoboard it is, thanks

Reply 16 of 18, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not tried any game yet, instead because of you I'm studying the page in wiki about videogame genres and also english 4 hours a day, it is being great!
I think i am not going to like adventure, strategy and RPG games because they are too dificult and boring, maybe i like RTS and action rpg 😀

the celeron is 1200, do i have to learn hardware too or i can run all games in this computer? thank you.

obobskivich wrote:
Aye! :-D […]
Show full quote
rodimus80 wrote:

Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was and is a great game. Playing it through right now actually. The 90s was a Golden Age for Lucasarts.

Aye! 😁

If you like strategy games more than action/adventure games, you might also consider:

Empire Earth (may be a little rough depending on how powerful the Celeron is - it's a bit new (Y2K I think))
Command & Conquer
Red Alert
Total Annihilation
Master of Orion (and its first sequel)
of course StarCraft and WarCraft II as well, but those aren't "rare" games

If you like role-playing games, you might also look for Daggerfall (free from Bethesda) or Diablo as well. Depending on the computer's hardware, Diablo II might run, and if the system is fairly new Morrowind may even run (that's MUCH newer than anything else mentioned here - it requires at least a 500Mhz CPU, but you meet the RAM requirement so maybe the system meets other requirements too). There's also Fallout and Fallout 2, which I've variably heard to be free or very discounted these days.

Reply 17 of 18, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duralisis wrote:
If you're hoping to understand what DOS gaming was for a certain period of time, then these games dominated my life: […]
Show full quote

If you're hoping to understand what DOS gaming was for a certain period of time, then these games dominated my life:

Apogee Games:
• Raptor
• Alien Carnage
• Bio Menace
• many more...
Blood 1
Crusader No Regret
Dark Forces
Doom 1/2 + Lots & lots of PWADS
Descent 1
Duke3d
EF2000
Jane's Simulations:
• USNF
• ATF
MechWarrior 2 + Mercs + GBL (I love these games the most!)
Sim City 2000
Tyrian 2000
XWing / Tie Fighter

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of classic gaming.

Just had to say this is a great list...my top 20 would for sure include most of these you have listed.

Reply 18 of 18, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feirabranco wrote:

pod planet of death

Good luck trying to get POD to run. If you Google it, there are sites devoted to how to get that game running. Apparently it was a royal pain in the ass, even when it was new.

feirabranco wrote:

doom 2
duke nukem 3d

I'd actually recommend playing these with source ports. There are a few to choose from, but I personally used Doomsday/JDoom for the Doom games (Doom 1 & 2, Hexen, Heretic) and JFDuke for Duke Nukem 3D. They make it easy to play them on modern systems and give you full mouselook. You can also turn off the auto-aim to make them more like modern games.

feirabranco wrote:

thief the dark project

I recommend that you play Thief Gold. It has some bug fixes and three extra missions mixed in with the existing ones. They spread out one of the side quests so that it makes more sense than in the original. I actually played The Dark Project after playing the Gold version, just to compare them.