VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I had this thing for a while. Bought it off of ebay ages ago and never got around to playing with it. The only problem is, it doesn't work. It's dead, like dead dead. I only paid a couple of bucks so no big loss, but still.
It's really sad because the pcb looks brand new, no scratches anywhere, the photo doesn't do it justice.

- Caps look good and I don't see any burned resistors.
- when the card is plugged in and comp turned on, the chip does heat up and so does the transistor in the corner
- memory chips do not heat up (they probably shouldn't anyways)

I've had a bunch of messed up video cards over the years but it always seemed to be something obvious, blown caps, scratched traces on the pcb, it would run but BSOD, it would run with artifacts. This one looks perfect.
I tried different motherboards, no beef. Nothing, it's as if the chip gets voltage to it but the card's bios won't let it initialize. I dunno.

I can change/resolder pretty much anything on it (except the main chip of course) but is there a point? Is it even possible to bring it back to life?

7zN6YDC.jpg?1

Reply 1 of 11, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If needed; high-res pic of my Neon250.
http://tweakers.net/ext/f/LRPF86q6hvlAFjoh3p1l9KlH/full.jpg

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 2 of 11, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NitroX infinity wrote:

Way ahead of you. I referred to your photo when checking to make sure all resistors were there. 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would suggest oven trick and, if everything else fails, find a replacement BIOS chip, flash it in some compatible mobo and replace it... I would also use PLC-32 holder I have plenty of.

Reply 6 of 11, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Help 🙁 my neon250 is dead

I hope you didn't start this thread looking for sympathy. 🤣

😀 No. not sympathy. I just feel bad that it's dead knowing how uncommon they are. I really wanted to test it in some games.

RacoonRider wrote:

I would suggest oven trick and, if everything else fails, find a replacement BIOS chip, flash it in some compatible mobo and replace it... I would also use PLC-32 holder I have plenty of.

Ok, tried the oven trick yesterday evening. No change.

I have plenty of those bios chips laying around. I think i have the holders too. I'm just not sure how you flash it through a motherboard.Don't I need an eprom programmer for that?

Reply 9 of 11, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hudson187 wrote:

What temp was the oven and how long did you have it in for? Was the oven pre-heated?

385 degrees F, for 10 min, yes it was preheated.

Reply 10 of 11, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
Hudson187 wrote:

What temp was the oven and how long did you have it in for? Was the oven pre-heated?

Try it again, this time with a pre-heated temp @ 400 F but leave it in for 15 minutes then turn the oven off and open the door; leave the card in the oven for 2 hours -- don't touch/move until then -- I've had success doing it like this before.

Also, put it on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. One other thing; make sure the sheet is capable of handling the heat and won't 'snap' in the oven; that 'snap' may actually dislodge components from the board... 🙁

http://www.hudson187.com

Reply 11 of 11, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hudson187 wrote:
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
Hudson187 wrote:

Try it again, this time with a pre-heated temp @ 400 F but leave it in for 15 minutes then turn the oven off and open the door; leave the card in the oven for 2 hours -- don't touch/move until then -- I've had success doing it like this before.

Also, put it on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. One other thing; make sure the sheet is capable of handling the heat and won't 'snap' in the oven; that 'snap' may actually dislodge components from the board... 🙁

Got it, I'll come back with the results tomorrow 😀