VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everytime I go to the stupid AMD website they want me to get the latest released driver or latest beta, I'm trying to downgrade to 13.1 from 13.9 to beable to play Incoming again as someone reported the game works on that driver version.

Why are AMD drivers such a hassle for old stuff anyways? I never remember having this much problems getting old stuff to work on NVIDIA cards.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 11, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah they don't offer old drivers at least since having redesigned their site this year. Your google-fu is clearly weak though, took me five seconds to find it... http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2196/amd … vista-7-64-bit/

Btw Nvidia at least offers some old versions but they are still recent enough to break many old games. Nvidia cards also won't display 640x480 correctly unless you specify a custom resolution so it's not all great there either. A vintage machine can be quite beneficial for circumventing all of that.

Reply 2 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I need to start using google from a anonymous device from now on. Thanks for the link and on topic of a vintage machine, has anyone ever put vintage graphics cards into a windows 7 device and somehow get their old games to use that instead of their modern GPU? Since I wanted to try doing that with this machine, I can't really afford to scrap together a pentium 2 machine, especially the pentium 2 my father has at his house has a bad heatsink and I'm not sure how to replace it.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 11, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I currently use an X1950 Pro in my main Phenom II machine, but I don't know if that's old enough to be called vintage. I've had better results on old games on it than on DX10/11 hardware, but I don't know if some good DX10 card with old drivers would offer equal compability and better performance to boot. It runs a lot of stuff fine in 1920x1080 but whether AA works or not can be hit or miss due to flaky drivers. Would be nice if there was some initiative to find a sweet spot in terms of hardware and drivers as a compromise between compatiblity for old and performance for newer games...

I'm using the newest Catalyst (9.3, 10.2 or whatever it was) on XP. To give one example where that card is beneficial, touchy D3D Outlaws runs fine on it. The real caveat with these ATi drivers is how they don't let you customize settings for each game (except for some silly profiles), which I believe they fixed with the newer revisions, but didn't bother to bring it to some "obsolete" cards..

Reply 4 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DracoNihil, a heatsink is not much of a problem. Most people seeking help on this forum succeed. Building a retro machine is not hard at all, a lot of fun actually!

I've also found this http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php

Reply 5 of 11, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On that topic, for some time I'm having that idea of putting two PCIe video cards in a modern system, non-SLI/CF. Like some beefy enough DX9 card for compatibility, and whatever DX11 card with newest drivers for the new games. If vintage builders put multiple graphics cards in one system all the time, why not do it on a newer rig? 😁

It'd probably require modified drivers when installing drivers for both on one OS, but you probably could get away fine with only installing the older card on XP and the newer one only on 7... XP trounces 7 for old games anyway. Then install whatever flawed Creative card you have at hand for that EAX, and suddenly there are not so many reasons for a dedicated XP rig anymore 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will AMD\ATI ever stop breaking their drivers or do they really care that people are having problem with legacy software? I recall some joke I read on a linux oriented website that you have to perform some "satanic ritual" in order to get bug free clean drivers for their GPU's... heh it sure feels that way...

I wanted to put a Voodoo 3 PCI onto this machine I'm on just to have something old that not only plays things without bugs but also bottlenecks the game so it wont run turbo speed either.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trying to play much older games on Radeon is sort of a lost cause anyway, as not even the Radeon 7000 on the oldest driver will be better for that. The last bastion of ATI's legacy compatibility is the Rage128 as that has a driver with emulation for paletted textures and table fog. Nvidia on the other hand is the GeforceFX...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I smell a new project in the pre-making for the vogonsdrivers.com ... If any one has some of the old drivers. Perhaps, that could be a good start ?

Reply 10 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

I smell a new project in the pre-making for the vogonsdrivers.com ... If any one has some of the old drivers. Perhaps, that could be a good start ?

They are available on various sites, don't you think that would be a waste of disk space and time? 5-sec google search gets you the driver you need, when it comes to old ati and nvidia drivers.

Reply 11 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

They are available on various sites, don't you think that would be a waste of disk space and time? 5-sec google search gets you the driver you need, when it comes to old ati and nvidia drivers.

Well, I am just thinking. After all, that is how things are in the start. A thought.