Common searches

The Modern Games we Play

Topic actions

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We all know why we're here: All of us are retro gamers who still love and play the old games from the 80s and 90s. :)

However, that doesn't mean there aren't modern titles that are good! ;)

Me personally, I've found quite a number of recent indie titles are actually fairly decent, though a few of them have some hiccups. One such game a I recently got was Ittle Dew, which is basically a short Zelda-like romp that's more about puzzles than action, though there is still a bit of action too. For an indie game it was pretty well done in terms of gameplay, design and graphics. From a programming standpoint though, the control system is seriously buggy, as I have to reconfigure my controls every time I play or something won't work properly, plus sometimes directional movement gets stuck even when you let go of a directional button.

In terms of AAA titles, I actually liked Duke Nukem Forever, and I've logged over 200 hours in Skyrim, but just this Christmas I got Saints Row IV. I've not played any of the other Saints Row games, but this new one is just plain FUN. Yeah, the story's ridiculous and some of the things you need to do can get repetitive, but it controls extremely well for the most part and hasn't crashed on me once yet... save for when I initially set up the proper screen resolution then tried to adjust a mouse sensitivity slider and completely froze the thing. XD

There are a few games though that seemed like great ideas but don't seem to be all that fun. Eufloria is a fairly simplified strategy game based on minimalistic vector-shape plant-life, but wow is it hard to look at because of how bright it is. Also it has some questionable controls in terms of functionality. I was also pretty excited about Starbound and bought into the beta before it was released. However, while playing the beta I find myself doing the same things I did in Terraria, but not as fun because the upgrade path is way too linear and I find myself squinting just to see what all the items are and what they do, even with the GUI size maxed out. In other words, it got boring surprisingly fast.

Compare that to the beta of Godus, which I also recently got. It's not a very challenging game by any means and definitely has an unfinished feel, but I clocked seven hours my first time playing it because it has a sort of relaxing feel to it and I just didn't feel the urge to stop playing for any reason.

To top all that off, I've also given the Duck Tales Remastered game a try. I can't help but wonder who the target audience was because they pulled off the nostalgia factor incredibly well and even added in a full voiceover with the proper voices and plenty of new story elements to go with it, yet Scrooge utters all kinds of random things that sounds like it was intended for kids, while the gameplay itself retains the old-school difficulty of the NES game making it something the average kid is probably going to get frustrated with. Also, bosses takes ridiculous amounts of hits for some reason. :P

So, that's basically been modern gaming for me lately, not counting modern retro-styled games like Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, Retro City Rampage and several others. How about for everyone else?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 20, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Latest game I finished was Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story. Some of the scripted action elements were a bit too much at times, and I would have loved more exploration/puzzles, but from what we got I liked it!

Now I*m playing The Walking Dead season 2 and Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag. The Walking Dead S2 keeps up the excellent quality and I would say the game is even better than the series in getting you hooked! Not too sure about AS4, but it's enjoyable so far.

I've got plenty more games waiting. Company of Heroes 2, Bioshock Infinite, the Metro games, etc etc

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 20, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Battlefield 4, PC, Multiplayer. I'm a lethal support guy. Tank drivers beware 😈

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 20, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

World of Warcraft
2004 - 2009 I played alot. The last two expansions I bought, leveled to the new max level and not much more.

Diablo 3
I played alot the first months after release

Diablo 2
I keep returning but this is borderline retro 😀

Starcraft 2
I played alot for a few months after release

Need for Speed Shift 1
A great racing sim.

Need for Speed Underground 2
A great arcade racing game.

Icy Tower
Run jump bounce run jump.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List the PC games that you have beaten

Currently playing Walking Dead Season 1.
Next will probably be Antichamber.
Then need to finish up Borderlands 2 and Farcry 3.
Just finished downloading State of Decay, Bulletstorm, Dishonored DLC, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and expansion.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 20, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The newest game I bothered playing, since I've had high hopes for it, was the rather poor RE6. As for the ones I've actually finished, I can only think of Mirror's Edge which is already several years old, and I've also enjoyed some Tribes: Ascend in the past.

Reply 8 of 20, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite a decent amount actually, while they are not more recent games, they are modern enough to not be a thing for this site's interests, the list includes:
Borderlands (Still have yet to play 2, but waiting for my new PC to be assembled so I can play it on PC)
Left 4 Dead 2
Duke Nukem Forever (I enjoyed it too Kris... even though I played the cruddy Xbox 360 port)
Mortal Kombat (2011) (The BEST Mortal Kombat game period, and even though it pains me to say it, it outclasses the II and 3 by a significant amount)
Deadly Premonition (Twin Peaks the game... and it is rad)
Metro 2033
L.A. Noire
Bayonetta
Splatterhouse
Dead or Alive 5
Serious Sam 3

Reply 9 of 20, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently in the process of playing Assassin's Creed 4. I've just finished up a lot of the new console release titles; Knack, Killzone : Shadowfall, Ryse : Son of Rome. My list looks console heavy but that's just cause they just released, I only play the exclusives on consoles and spend most of my time PC gaming. Playing a lot of Path of Exile too cause I have a friend that really likes those style of games.

Reply 10 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

write down one more fan of DNF
I've played and enjoyed quite a few modern games, #1 of them being Dark Souls in both ps3/pc (and Demon's Souls by extend to the ps3, both are gems) - I've burned a shameful amount of hours to it... then Skyrim, Witcher2, Sam3, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Bayonetta... I dare say anything good on the pc/ps3/360 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 20, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

write down one more fan of DNF
I've played and enjoyed quite a few modern games, #1 of them being Dark Souls in both ps3/pc (and Demon's Souls by extend to the ps3, both are gems) - I've burned a shameful amount of hours to it... then Skyrim, Witcher2, Sam3, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Bayonetta... I dare say anything good on the pc/ps3/360 😁

...that reminds me that I forgot to add Dark Souls, that game is fantastic, and pretty intense too.

Reply 12 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Farming Simulator 2013. Leave that going in real time while doing something else works well for me. Few side missions every half hr or so, then sowing and harvesting a field is surprisingly rewarding and relaxing. Cant think of a retro game that does the same thing accept the SimCity's but you have to keep more of an eye on that unless you want to go broke

Reply 13 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

Most modern game I played is Skyrim. It's fun, but it's not Morrowind.

I always found it difficult to get into Morrowind. I have it on both XBox and PC and can't get more than about an hour into it before frustration sets in. Oblivion and Skyrim are much easier to become addicted to, IMO.

Reply 15 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Island 1 and 2 (Riptide)
Legend of Grimrock
Now waiting for Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity, Shroud of the Avatar.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 16 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

Mortal Kombat (2011) (The BEST Mortal Kombat game period, and even though it pains me to say it, it outclasses the II and 3 by a significant amount)

Oh yeah, this showed up on Steam a few months back, ironically just a handful of days after I last checked to see if a PC version had come out yet. :B

I've got it downloading as we speak. Steam sales FTW! :D

Hopefully it works with DirectInput devices so I can use my arcade stick... If not, I finally have a wireless 360-controller for my PC. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 18 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Hopefully it works with DirectInput devices so I can use my arcade stick... If not, I finally have a wireless 360-controller for my PC. :P

I just finished playing some MK and... it almost works. Trouble is I can't get diagonal motions to register properly. Supposedly this is fixed by turning off "analog" support, but I'm unsure what that means. 360 controller works fine but I'd definitely prefer to use my arcade stick for this if I can figure this out. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 19 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lately I've been playing a fair amount of Castle Crashers, and that game is simply amazing. 😁 Aside from the sometimes-annoying hitboxes and questionable netcode, it is absolutely one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played. Steam had it on sale recently, and since I remembered enjoying it on my cousin's 360 a few years ago, I decided to buy copies for myself and my friends.

As well, I've also been playing a bit of Counter Strike: Global Offensive. It pretty much has the same base gameplay as Counter Strike 1.6, though with a few tweaks to the weapons and physics, and much shinier graphics. In any case, it's a pretty decent game, though I kind of wished they weren't so drastic with the graphics as it has a bit of trouble running on newer systems.