VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 29, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a system partially built -- iWill P55TU Socket 7 mobo with P1 133 -- how much RAM would suit this system best? 16mb? 64mb?

http://www.hudson187.com

Reply 21 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hudson187 wrote:
vetz wrote:
The Fastvoodoo drivers do not work. Try this method: […]
Show full quote
Hudson187 wrote:

I am using the Fast Voodoo drivers, however my cards are a matched pair. I've also tried running with SLI disabled and the reference 3DFX driver set.

The Fastvoodoo drivers do not work. Try this method:

1. Install this driver from 3DFX (3.03): http://bit.ly/RM62kJ
2. Copy Glide.dll and ss1init.dll from the driver to the game installation directory.
3. Make a .bat file using notepad with the following: Re: MechWarrior 2 | 3D card conversion files

Does not work -- I still get a black screen upon engine initialization. 🙁

I'm kind of lost what could be the error as it works perfectly on all my machines. Nobody else have had problems AFAIK on with using these three steps on a Voodoo2. You are using the original 3DFX version right and not some patched software version? Are you using Windows 95 or 98? Try to do a full Windows reinstallation in another folder incase you don't want to delete the one you already have.

As you are getting sound (which I would guess is from within the game) it is even more strange. My guess is on 3DFX driver conflicts between new and older files in your Windows installation.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 29, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hudson187 wrote:

Got a system partially built -- iWill P55TU Socket 7 mobo with P1 133 -- how much RAM would suit this system best? 16mb? 64mb?

16MB if OS is DOS or 64MB if Windows.

Reply 23 of 29, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I'm kind of lost what could be the error as it works perfectly on all my machines. Nobody else have had problems AFAIK on with using these three steps on a Voodoo2. You are using the original 3DFX version right and not some patched software version? Are you using Windows 95 or 98? Try to do a full Windows reinstallation in another folder incase you don't want to delete the one you already have.

As you are getting sound (which I would guess is from within the game) it is even more strange. My guess is on 3DFX driver conflicts between new and older files in your Windows installation.

I'm using the 3DFX version, installed from the actual disc (labeled as "Enhanced for the Diamond Monster 3D" with a 3DFX logo). Installed is Windows 98SE patched with the unofficial SP 2.1a. I'll try doing a driver clean and see if that helps -- any suggestions on a good 3DFX driver cleaner?

Reply 24 of 29, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:
Hudson187 wrote:

16MB if OS is DOS or 64MB if Windows.

Sounds good -- going with Win95 for this build; 64MB is it!

Reply 25 of 29, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a system 90% complete; iWill P55TB mobo with a P1 133 and 64MB ram. I also installed a GUS Classic along with a SB16 non PnP with OPL3 chip. Additionally, I've also installed a Diamond Monster 3D V1 card along with a PCI Diamond 3D Stealth 2000 and a generic Intel ISA NIC along with a 3.2gb HD, 5 1/4" and 3 1/2 floppy drives and generic CD-ROM. Win95 is installed and running without issues; just have to install drivers at this point and we should be good to go.

During this build, I found myself in a position where I was able to obtain a really nice AT case with a 486 board and a 486 40Mhz CPU installed; I'm thinking I may actually go ahead and build this system up and use it instead of disabling caches and whatnot; while I did intend to do that with the P133, I found this particular system to be very intriguing -- I'm having tons of fun with this hobby! The only thing I need to do is install a new DS12887 as the board is throwing errors no being able to save CMOS.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions - I can't wait to share these projects!

Reply 26 of 29, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hudson187 wrote:

P1 did come in 66?? No kidding!

The first Pentiums came in 60 and 66 MHz and used 5 volts. They ran rather hot because of this, and I think there was no upgrade path. Therefore they were not very common, Pentium 75 is much more common.

Reply 27 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:
Hudson187 wrote:

P1 did come in 66?? No kidding!

The first Pentiums came in 60 and 66 MHz and used 5 volts. They ran rather hot because of this, and I think there was no upgrade path. Therefore they were not very common, Pentium 75 is much more common.

Don't forget the divide bug.

Reply 28 of 29, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Don't forget the divide bug.

That one also exists with some P75, P90 and P100 CPUs. Only P120 and faster are certain not to have the bug. And some later P60 and P66 also didn't have the bug.

Reply 29 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The P66 actually performed better than the P75 due to faster bus (66mhz vs 50mhz). Buying a P66 in 1993 was very expensive, but a good buy compared to performance. My Socket 4 P66 is quicker than the much later released AMD X5 P75 133mhz (see Phil's benchmark). It is also pretty stable and does not have the quirks that is associated with Socket 1-3.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes