VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I've been playing a bunch of Saints Row IV and I just recently obtained Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, both on the PC, and something that bothered me with SR4 is also bothering me with MK, even though it might seem incredibly minor and trivial...

The cinematics play back at arbitrarily reduced framerates for "dramatic" effect!

Seriously, SR4's cinematics use the in-game engine yet run at a fraction of the framerate the rest of the game does for reasons I don't understand. (And with maximum detail settings the gameplay goes 60 FPS for the most part, dropping only in the more elaborate areas.) MK has pre-rendered cinematics so it makes sense that they would be at a lower framerate... except their "pre-rendered" cinematics were originally rendered with the in-game engine, so why didn't they just render the things with the in-game engine? Especially since the pre-rendered stuff is at lower than 1080p? >_>;

This has become my new modern gaming pet-peeve and I'm wondering if there's any other games which suffer from this: Gameplay that goes a full 60 FPS then drops to some arbitrarily low amount like 15 or 24 for "cinematics" that just use in-game elements anyways.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Surely this goes all the way back to "bullet time" in the original Max Payne, if not earlier?

I thought bullet time was slower speed, not lower frame rate.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

Surely this goes all the way back to "bullet time" in the original Max Payne, if not earlier?

I thought bullet time was slower speed, not lower frame rate.

Yeah, I mean the actual frames per second, not the speed things are moving at. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 5 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Deus Ex Human Revolution did this for takedowns. You enter a 30FPS DIMENSION when you punch someone!!!!

So are we just talking about how kill moves work in many games now, including Skyrim ?

I wonder if they decided to do this for dramatic effect.

I have to load up SR4 again and see if I can see the same thing or not.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 7 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bioshock 2 on the PC had the ENTIRE physics enginge / animations running at 30 fps 😵

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Bioshock 2 on the PC had the ENTIRE physics enginge / animations running at 30 fps :dead:

See, here's the ironic part of something like that: Speaking as a game programmer, one of the things you need to do to ensure your game plays smoothly is interpolate the positions of objects between fixed frames. This way, no matter what framerate the target system is playing your game back at, it will look smooth as silk, even if internally, the game is only running 30 FPS or so. The fact that you can see the physics going at a different framerate than the rest of the game suggests this isn't happening.

Interpolation of in-game elements from a fixed FPS to a variable FPS is EASY. It's been done for numerous years in commercial PC games and the only people who don't know how to do it are typically people who've worked exclusively on consoles or who have little game programming experience.

So if Bioshock 2, the sequel to a game that matched and broke several technical boundaries for its time, couldn't do frame interpolation, then yeah, that's not a good sign for the rest of the quality of the game. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 9 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I see what you are stating now, this can be directly linked to the consoles, previous-gen, that were stuck at 30 frames per second.

Many of these games may be been direct or indirect ports where they were trying to make it work on a console and PC, hence why it was locked at this rate.

Some games will allow you to set non-synced options on the PC but not very many, you normally have to uncheck the vsync option if the game has one and/or an .INI setting had to be tweaked.

Reply 10 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BigBodZod wrote:

I think I see what you are stating now, this can be directly linked to the consoles, previous-gen, that were stuck at 30 frames per second.

Actually, console games often run 60 FPS, not 30 FPS, though a few run WORSE than 30 FPS. It depended on how talented the coders were at taking advantage of a console's optimizations. ;)

The Nintendo DS is a good example. Most DS games run 30 FPS, even though the thing is fully capable of handling 60 FPS games. Populous DS is one of the very few that runs 60 FPS. Retro Game Challenge is another. Arkanoid DS on the other hand, a game you would fully expect to run 60 given that it's freakin' ARKANOID, runs 20. Seriously. x_x;

BigBodZod wrote:

Many of these games may be been direct or indirect ports where they were trying to make it work on a console and PC, hence why it was locked at this rate.

Some games will allow you to set non-synced options on the PC but not very many, you normally have to uncheck the vsync option if the game has one and/or an .INI setting had to be tweaked.

Right, but what I'm saying is that these two games I've been playing are both designed to run at 60 FPS... so why do their cinematics, made out of in-game elements, NOT? (They don't even hit 30.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 11 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you'll hate DMA design for this reason. Up until GTA IV, all of their games relied on strict 12-25hz(?) timing - going back since Blood Money. The only exception is Uniracers/Unirally.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have a problem with games not running 60 FPS. My problem is with games that DO run 60 FPS, but intentionally drop this framerate for cinematic reasons when there's absolutely no reason why it needs to because it's still using in-game elements. :P

Actually, another thing I've noticed lately which never seemed to be an issue in the days of DOS is the differentiation between "framerate" and "speed". A lot of people nowadays use the term "framerate" to describe how fast a game is going, rather than what their frames per second is, and it leads to no end of confusion, especially since often the term used to describe a drop in the framerate nowadays is "lag"... which means now whenever someone says they have "lag" in a multiplayer game, people may assume you mean your framerate is dropping and not that you're experiencing ACTUAL lag from the server, differentiating these as "client lag" and "server lag"...

...and people yell at me for calling Daggerfall an "Action/RPG"... gaming terminology is messed up nowadays. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 13 of 17, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

I don't have a problem with games not running 60 FPS. My problem is with games that DO run 60 FPS, but intentionally drop this framerate for cinematic reasons when there's absolutely no reason why it needs to because it's still using in-game elements. 😜

Actually, another thing I've noticed lately which never seemed to be an issue in the days of DOS is the differentiation between "framerate" and "speed". A lot of people nowadays use the term "framerate" to describe how fast a game is going, rather than what their frames per second is, and it leads to no end of confusion, especially since often the term used to describe a drop in the framerate nowadays is "lag"... which means now whenever someone says they have "lag" in a multiplayer game, people may assume you mean your framerate is dropping and not that you're experiencing ACTUAL lag from the server, differentiating these as "client lag" and "server lag"...

...and people yell at me for calling Daggerfall an "Action/RPG"... gaming terminology is messed up nowadays. 😜

Well I get what you are saying but really it is all up to the coders to optimize and make changes, but this only happens if the developer wants to devote resources to that end, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

As for terminology, yes that can be confusing but it makes sense to the endless rabble that could care less and if the others understand it then that is all that counts.

And I also agree with the Action/RPG label for Daggerfall rather then a strict RPG category, I think all the elder scrolls are really Action/RPG's and I've categorized them as such.

Unlike the games from Spiderweb which I consider all RPG's and Wasteland etc...

Reply 14 of 17, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Witcher 2's cutscenes are slower than normal gameplay, however this is because they use some rather impressive DoF effects (this an option, you can disable it) and other scene enriching objects/details and such. There is nothing locking the framerate lower, just the game being very demanding 😜.

Reply 15 of 17, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ace Combat AH slows down the motion of its in-combat cutscenes. But still maintains at least 60fps & uses the game engine to render.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.