Common searches

SB16 and MIDI

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed an Terratec WaveSystem SCW001/2 onto my SB2230 sound card and installed DOS/WIN311 drivers. I played some of my MIDI files and they all sounded strange. At first i didn't notice it was actually OPL not MIDI daughterboard and wondered what the heck is happening, it sounds just like opl!
But than I noticed by using SB16 synth instead of external MIDI i can play MIDI files with OPL.

Now these files sound pretty damn cool, so my question is, what are the limits when it comes to playing MIDI files using OPL? (CT1747)

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, first of all, how does it work. Limits of the chip, and what are driver limits?
Instrument limits are what I'm mostly interested in.

Reply 3 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, then I would say the largest limit is the driver. I don't know anything about the driver, but read on.

The OPL3 chip has 36 operators, that can be divided in many ways into channels.
Simplest mode just has 18 channels with 2 FM operators each. The 2 operator channels can use two different sound producing algorithms, just summed together or it can produce FM sound with a modulator and a carrier.

It is possible to reserve 6 of the operators for drum mode with five drum sounds (bass drum, snare drum, tom tom, cymbal and high hat).
But that will take away three 2-operator channels.

Also you can have up to 6 channels of 4 operator FM sounds. The 4-op channels can use 4 different sound producing algorithms.

This leaves remaining 6 operators into three 2-operator channels.

You can select if a channel is heard on left, right or both speakers, but there is no panning mechanism in the chip.

Each operator has an ADSR (attack-decay-sustain-release) envelope, volume, frequency, note trigger on/off, etc and thus changing the parameters of modulator changes the timbre and how the timbre changes over time duration of the sound, while changing the parameters of carrier changes how the sound volume changes over time duration of the sound.

Now, here comes in the driver. MIDI information is nothing more than note on/off triggering information, selecting instruments and volume and pitch bend. It is up to the driver how good OPL3 chip parameters it uses to recreate a sound that resembles a piano or guitar or whatever. Also it is up to the driver to use any tricks to make the sound even better, like updating the chip parameters tens or hundreds of times per second to improve the sound to resemble a piano or guitar or whatever better. Not many drivers do this, but some game audio systems do.

But basically, the reason while FM sounds are very dull and boring is the fact that most often the instrument parameters are just loaded to chip at song start and only frequency information is updated and notes are just triggered on and off. This also consumes least amount of CPU time.

A driver can do some stuff, like for example you could pan a sound by using two channels, one for left and one for right, with same or a bit different parameters, and just controlling the volumes of the channels individually so that the sound can be heard say 25% left and 75% right.

Another thing is, is the driver for an OPL3 or OPL2.. OPL2 requires much slower delays between writing to the chip, and only has 18 operators and it only has 9 melodic 2-op channels or 6 melodic 2-op channels plus the 5 percussive channels, single mono output. So because OPL2 is slower to write, some of the tricks may not be used as it would consume too much CPU horsepower to update chip registers tens or hundreds of times per second. (Relatively speaking of course. I approximate that OPL3 chips were available when people had 386s and above, while OPL2 chips were used before and up to 386s)

Reply 4 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So when it comes to MIDI its all in the driver?
Interesting. I am using default ones from Vogons Driver database, and im pretty surprised i never tried it before. its cool stuff 😀
Thanks for the info!

I have managed to obtain an certain program that plays Korean demoscene IMS and SOP music files and have for the first time heard them under DOS on real OPL and my mind blew.
What is the best way to record from this card? To get the least noise and the most of actual sound? Line out seems kinda low on volume and lacks some things as i can heard with my headphones (Didn't try recording yet), and there is no way of loopback.
Do you know a good way i should record?
In the PC i would use to record i have Sound Blaster Xtreme Music. I could also use SW1000XG.

[edit]

Ah! I think i now understand how does Line IN act in this case. It acts as maximum volume of the output of the other card.
So this means to record from LINE OUT i need to use MIC IN?

Well, all in all, pretty quality, but low on volume, recording: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54462712/ … suenotobira.mp3

Reply 5 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well usually LINE OUT of a device is connected to LINE IN of another device. Mic inputs are optimized for microphones, they are electronically different to give bias voltage to microphones and have extra gain stage as microphone voltage levels are much lower etc. Mic inputs could even be monophonic so it might only record left (or right) output.

You need to experiment on both playing computer and recording computer the settings that are the "best". If you are only playing FM music, use a mixer setting program to turn down or mute all other audio sources except the FM. Usually you want to use the maximum voltage level between devices that does not sound too distorted or noisy. Too low volume on line output means you need to amplify too much on the line input so it amplifies noise as well. Too high volume on line output means either the line output may get distorted so you need to turn down line output volume until the output itself is not distorted. You may also need to turn the line output volume down even more to if the volume is still too much for the line input. So while you can turn down the volume of line input, it is after the input stage amplifier, and if the volume is too much for the input stage amplifier, it will only change the volume of already distorted signal. It is not rocket science and it is even possible to measure the maximum input and output levels that do not distort with some signal-generating and signal-measuring equipment.

If I want to record something from OPL3 bit-accurately, I use digital capturing of the audio output bus.

Reply 6 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read more about this, and i understood what you said.
Turning off other things to reduce noise and interference. I also removed some components from this computer i thought i don't need.
I used LINE OUT to record and maximized the volume. Here is an recording: Jam777 - Evangelion Opening
I have two CT2230 sound cards and i want to mod one by installing better capacitors and operation amplifier. The output from it is very nice, especially with bass 😀

The noise floor on one of the cards is tolerable, and i like a bit of noise, sounds more natural than clinical sound. But bit acurate digital recording would be interesting to try. Do you have any links with info where you do this?

Last edited by Stojke on 2013-12-29, 20:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

But bit acurate digital recording would be interesting to try. Do you have any links with info where you do this?

CT2230 does not have a real OPL3 and its companion DAC YAC512. I have not done any serious digging of information but I have a same or similar sound card and my best guess is U15 (Philips TDA something) is the DAC for the OPL system so the digital signals are there.

Reply 8 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I've read people say it does, that its embed into the CT1747 microchip. Plus the chip it self has an OPL logo on it.
Well, replacing all DACs wouldn't hurt 😀

Sounds like a fun project, and not so complex.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

From what I've read people say it does, that its embed into the CT1747 microchip. Plus the chip it self has an OPL logo on it.
Well, replacing all DACs wouldn't hurt 😀

Sounds like a fun project, and not so complex.

Oh I did not mean to say if the embedded OPL is real or clone - I really don't know (but could investigate it some day).

I meant as there is no real OPL3 chip and matching Yamaha's DAC for it, the digital signals are different between the CT chip and Philips DAC.
I'd guess Philips DAC signaling is more common/standard than what is found on Yamaha's DAC, so it is remotely possible to replace it with modern DAC (or convert to digital SPDIF output).

Reply 11 of 11, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

S/PDIF looks pretty easy on this card. The TDA1387 uses standard i²S signaling, any S/PDIF transmitter will work with that too. Finding replacement DACs shouldn't be too hard either.