VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I have just bought a Roland CM-32L and it came with a 9v AC power supply. But in the back of the Roland unit it says DC 9v only.
The seller tells me that it works perfectly, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to risk the unit.
Also I have been looking for a replacement PS and the ones on ebay seem to also be AC:

AC Adapter Replacement for Boss Roland CM-32L, CM-32P, CM-64

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-Replacemen … =item43c2b4b38a

Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's all good 😀

AC = alternating current 220V (that's what comes out of the wall and in the power adapter)
DC = direct current (that's the 9V that comes out of the little power plug)

If you take a good image of the adapter I can show you.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use this one for my Roland devices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-AC-DC-9V-1A-Swit … =item2c6a7e3779

It works fine 😀

You need a power supply with negative polarity on the inner plug (reverse of the standard).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I use this one for my Roland devices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-AC-DC-9V-1A-Swit … =item2c6a7e3779

It works fine 😀

Note that this is a switched adapter, it might increase the noise level a bit.

Reply 4 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

If you look on the backside of any Roland device you'll see it recommends a switched adapter.
%2521C%2521nVIH%2521%2521Wk%257E%2524%2528KGrHqN%252C%2521lkEz%252B2Yvd4LBNDvWgp6Z%2521%257E%257E_12.JPG

Reply 6 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

It does have enough power to run your CM-32L, but it says nothing about polarity as far as I know and I'm a bit worried that it says AC-AC at the top (even the replacement says Output: DC or AC-DC). I wouldn't connect it unless you got some kind of confirmation from the previous owner.

Reply 7 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pingaloka wrote:

That will work, if the DC input is protected against reverse voltage. But you'll only get half-wave rectification and will likely hear a loud hum when it's powered on.

vetz wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

If you look on the backside of any Roland device you'll see it recommends a switched adapter.

It recommends a Roland ACB adapter. An ACB-220 is linear instead of switched 😉

Reply 8 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

I own the original ones as well, and they say that the inside (tip) is negative and the outside positive. This also corresponds with the discussion on Queststudios: http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=2915.0

Reply 10 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a multimeter to check if you have 9V DC?

Having read the label, I'd throw it away. The two ~ symbols definitely indicate AC current. What an odd device. Did he actually use it with the unit?

Replacements are Sega Mega Drive adapter if you have one? Yes also works with the CM units 😀 They are all the same voltage, just differnet power draw.

The dual PCB units draw the most current.

Otherwise eBay sells replacements. I got a couple that I use.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

I own the original ones as well, and they say that the inside (tip) is negative and the outside positive. This also corresponds with the discussion on Queststudios: http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=2915.0

The plug polarity is reversed, that's right. (I say "reversed", however there's no real standard for these things.)
But the adapter you linked is switched-mode, like a computer PSU. These are smaller and have higher efficiency compared to linear (transformer-type) adapters, but tend to be more noisy. If the switching frequency is far enough above the audio spectrum you won't hear that, though.

Pingaloka wrote:

I don't want to risk....any recommendations on ebay??

Any 9VDC adapter with 600mA minimum and negative polarity plug will do. Best would be a regulated linear adapter.

Reply 12 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

I don't want to risk....any recommendations on ebay?? I know that Mega Drive's power supply works on the Roland Mt-32, but what about the CM-32L?

The adapters are interchangeable on Roland devices (plugwise and very much based on 600mA). I use the same adapter on my MT100, CM32-L, CM500 and SC55mkII. The CM500 requires a bit more mA (1000mA), but since the replacement adapters provide 1A it isn't an issue.

I have two from the link I gave above and they both work fine. Haven't noticed any more noise with the switching replacement adapters.

EDIT: jwt27: Ah, thanks for clearing that misunderstanding up 😉

Reply 13 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What would a post be without a video:

http://youtu.be/5NUQpAZeAdo?t=1h35m33s

🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need a 9v DC adapter with a CENTER NEGATIVE polarity as it was pointed out by the previous gents.
You can use the same PSU as the megadrive mk1 , the mt-32 even the SC-55.
As long as it is a negative center one and has enough mA it would work. Basically I'm just agreeing with what was posted before 🤣

Personally I would not risk with that AC-AC adapter, use the md1 one until you get a dedicated one. I use the same psus for my consoles and modules, they are all 1.5A multi-voltage ones that costed ~11eur locally. No probs whatsoever.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use any good adapters, provided you observe the following 3 points :

1. DC Voltage - 9V

2. mA

3. Polarity

- basically, just follow the Roland adapter's specifications.

I've been using generic adapters which have selectable voltage and polarity switches on them with my MT-32 and CM-500 modules for a few years now.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers