VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM

Long interesting interview/playthrough with John Romero. He adds alot of interesting trivia about the development of Doom and the starting levels.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 21, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I watched the entire thing. Some of the things that were mentioned were things I already knew but a lot of it was stuff I either didn't know at all, or knew a little about but not the whole story. The story about the last level of Doom II was a great example, since we all know the end result of it all, but how it ended up that way was just crazy and awesome. :D

I actually have the "Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus" book and CD from way back when I was still too young to be playing the game. Doesn't really go in-depth into the background details of Doom but really explains a lot of technical details and was a great guide to doing level design back then. One of the technical tricks I used to do to get around the floor/ceiling limitations of only being able to render so many at a time was to combine multiple sectors with the same floor and ceiling heights and textures together, even if they weren't actually connected in any way. There was also a trick you could do to make floating walls that took advantage of some of the rendering mechanics. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 21, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using that ugly, squashed, wrong aspect ratio? Et tu, Romere?!

(yeah, watching this regardless, of course. :))

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe I noticed that too. But this kind of knowledge gets lost with time...

Now John Carmack on the other hand would have refused to do it 16:9 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 21, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find Doomsday and ZDoom both have their pros and cons, but either are still better than most of the other source ports out there. (Though I did find a source port awhile back which I can't remember the name of that had split-screen multiplayer.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. Doomsday has a LOT of cons. The engine not doing Hor+ aspect is a big one, ironic for something touted to be the "prettiest". Also development has been stagnant on it since 2002 with most of the programming going into the frontend development since apparently the biggest problem with Doom is picking an IWAD to use. Visually, the engine has not changed in over 12 years. One could say that's a good thing but it's not when you can't even run Boom maps like every other engine can do. It's so fitting for IGNorant to choose this port.

Zdoom simply has that as a single dialog of a list which is good enough.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

so what's the "best" engine out there atm?

MS-DOS of course 😀

Set the vertical mouse speed to 0 and configure the keys and it's almost like a modern FPS 😀 Plus a Sound Canvas of course.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watched this a few weeks ago and got me in the mood to play the 1st episode of doom. I haven't played it easily over 5 years. Just fire it up to listen to test sound or midi.
My Very 1st impression was I'm in low detail...I wasn't, but You get don't even notice once you get going. (I'm playing in dos)
I was surprised how much I remembered. Took me 1/2 a day to complete but that wasn't constant. and enjoyed the new sounding music from the Yamaha instead of a SB16.
2nd Episode I was lost from the 1st level, but I only had the shareware version and Doom 2 till I finally got ultimate doom but by this time Duke had taken over so think I've only completed it once.
But the game does hold up well in my books 😀

Reply 15 of 21, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having to use novert when I play vanilla Doom in DOS or Win95 with the mouse. I play both Vanilla and Zdoom/GZDoom alot on several different computers. I use ZDoom to torture test later CPU's while viewing the frame rate. I need to get a Sound Canvas, I've only played with OPL these last 19 years.

Reply 16 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

so what's the "best" engine out there atm?

I used to be a fan of Skulltag when it was active, but due to some huge shitstorm that happened in the ST community, it pretty much died off, and Zandronum, which was created as a replacement, seemingly lacked a lot of ST's best features on purpose. 😜 Real shame, since I had some pretty fun times playing ST multiplayer with my friends when I was younger.

Nowadays, I mainly use Zdaemon for multiplayer, and Zandronum for singleplayer. It's been ages since I've played Doom in any form though. I want to rebuild my 486 rig some time in the near future, and install the original DOS version for authenticity's sake.

Reply 17 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some observations :

Filters and 8-bit graphics are so wrong.

Targeted 386s - No 386 is going to run DOOM optimally.

Carmack made the game run at a crazy framerate - 35fps is good, but not what I'd call crazy.

Dynamic Lighting is not the only graphical change, the fire/explosion effects are much nicer than the original.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 18 of 21, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM

Long interesting interview/playthrough with John Romero. He adds alot of interesting trivia about the development of Doom and the starting levels.

This is awesome, thanks for the link 😀

duralisis wrote:

Enhancements shmancements... I prefer chocolate:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Chocolate_Doom

Agreed. As for the DOS ones though I have a liking for Boom and MBF, that's of course apart from vanilla v1.2 shareware which was the first version I played (unlimited bonus armour points yay! 😄).

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games