VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I want to test all of my harddisks i have bought with the diagnostic tools..
I know i get very easy on the newer tools from maxtor, WD, Fujitsu, IBM, ect..

But the older drives sometimes gives problems on be detect as real WD drive.
Now iam been busy on a older windows 95 system that i bought last weekend. That system still runs on windows 95.. So i dont have to build a new test system to test all of the harddisks i have here..

Now i have connected on older western digital caviar WDAC2420H IDE harddisk (420MB) with 06.16k25 firmware.. Iam using an older version of DLGDIAG version 4.15.. But the software says:

The selected drive is not a Western Digital Drive, or an unsupported Western digital drive, and this menu option is not available.. I have already made a Dos 6.22 boot floppy disk, with the needed diagnostic software.
So i really want to know, when these older AT drives where produced and where available for the customer market, was there any WD harddisk diagnostic software available for these drives??
Or do i now maybe have a problem because of having an OEM drive here, so it doesnt have the actually western digital firmware in that drive, but from an OEM supplier..? That version 4.15 from DLGdiag should be for harddisk drives lower then 4GB.. Thats was written on the website from WD...

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultimate Boot CD has heaps of HDD test tools!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, but arent there any dos only tools? Because maybe i want it later to use this diagnostic tools on an other dos system, and then going nowhere..

Reply 4 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After a long horrible search i found some tools. Because i want to make it to difficult for other users i will upload the recommend factory tools here.

Attachments

• Filename
    Shdiag.exe
    File size
    166.34 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File comment
    SHDIAG DOS VERSION 1.25 for older samsung IDE drives till about 30GB disks. This software needs to been on an DOS bootable floppy disk. Only use it on samsung drives!
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is also Hard Disk Sentines DOS version, it will print basic SMART info but it's a quick way to check a HDD's status

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it's Sentinel, of course, 🤣
I am attaching it since it's free.

Attachments

• Filename
    hdsdos.zip
    File size
    48.7 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Victoria has dos and windows too version - its universal tool - works at all drives...

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.03-Victoria/

I like more mhdd which is pure dos software, but its not sometimes so effective at remaping bad sectors (seagate drives) and dont work at some modes (dont like ahci, at new via sata controlers detects drives only in raid mode on)

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 10 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I usually pop in an old copy of Ultimate Boot CD, it usually has what I need. All DOS or Linux based tools. The HDD diagnostic tools have a mix - most are from the original manufacturer, some are hobbyist tools.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto