VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quite some time ago, I remember reading that Infocom inserted subtle references to future unreleased titles in some of their games. I'm pretty sure the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sequel was one of them, but the Internet is flooded with news about the discovery of the "Infocom drive" and I am getting nowhere with my search.

I did learn that Zork III included a reference to Enchanter which was not released at the time, but that's all I can find so far.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? This is very frustrating.

Reply 2 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some of the story files have several revisions, and you may find the kind of references that interest you in older revisions but not later revisions. There are patches that allow you to transform any known revision into another.

You can decompile the story files with the TXD utility from Ztools, at least enough to get all of the story text into a (somewhat) readable form. However, if the references are subtle (i.e. the name is not specifically mentioned) then you wouldn't be able to do something simple like a string search on the TXD output; but it's not always easy to be an Infocom historian.

Reply 3 of 11, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, HHGTTG and Zork III are the only ones with references. In the case of Zork III, there were two or three rooms that you could visit if you were lucky enough with the transporter. In HHGTTG, it was obvious that it was supposed to continue on Magrathea. I think that Stationfall hadn't been started at the time that Planetfall was completed.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe I'm thinking about an entirely different company's games? I'm pretty sure the reference I was reading about interactive fiction. It might have been a description of some kind of vision in a crystal ball?

Reply 8 of 11, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Eureka! I have been informed that Beyond Zork did indeed have a crystal ball that foretold the sequel to HHGG.

Really? I certainly don't remember that, and I just looked through the text of Beyond Zork and find no references to even a crystal ball, let alone HHGG.
Perhaps Return To Zork (which I have never played)?

Reply 10 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Return to Zork had the Infocom label on the box but Activision may have just been using the name. I don't know if any actual Infocom staff were involved.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.