VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, with the recent (crappy) re-release of Realms of Arkania on Steam i suddenly got the urge to play that game again, i bought them instantly but i sadly found out the hard way that the Steam version (and GOG's) are just the silly floppy disk edition with no OST.

After some tedious google search i managed to gather some info on the many diferent versions of the game and it seems the original CD editions are the best ones (the only ones left uncut, all others have either cut dificulties, or sounds).

Can someone give me some help on where to find them? most abandonware sites just host the floppy disk version and/or direct me to buy them on GoG (which i already did too, but their version is also crap, with only a half assed incomplete OST and some sounds put together in the inferior floppy disk edition).

I am not very good at german, but i am willing to play this game series in its native language if it means getting the complete version.

I am not entirely sure if asking for the ISO would be considered piracy (i already bought the 3 games twice now and i originally had the second one on CD, but i lost it ages ago), so if anybody has the original and could make ISOs for me, i would be in your eternal debt!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you can buy a nice shiny new copy of Shadows Over Riva from CD Access:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/shadrivapr.htm
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/004534.htm

I'm not sure why they have two versions listed, and why one is twice the cost of the other – you'll have to ask them. They're totally legit and they ship internationally.

A quick glance at eBay also suggests an abundance of inexpensive copies are available there. You can buy one and make sure you don't lose it this time. 😎

Reply 3 of 6, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Well, you can buy a nice shiny new copy of Shadows Over Riva from CD Access: http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/shadrivapr.htm h […]
Show full quote

Well, you can buy a nice shiny new copy of Shadows Over Riva from CD Access:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/shadrivapr.htm
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/004534.htm

I'm not sure why they have two versions listed, and why one is twice the cost of the other – you'll have to ask them. They're totally legit and they ship internationally.

A quick glance at eBay also suggests an abundance of inexpensive copies are available there. You can buy one and make sure you don't lose it this time. 😎

Wow, thanks for the link, wasnt aware that this "CD Access" store even existed 😀 . While its annoying to wait for the shipping to arrive, at least its the exact version that i wanted!

As for e-bay, Sadly they only have the 1CD version of Star Trail (i was aiming to get the 2CD version that comes with bonus in-game stuff and additional new OST for the game, but i think that one never got translated into english, not sure). Am also not a fan of buying (internationally,at least) decade old CDs that only come in the jewel box they were made in, waiting a month or so for them to arrive, only to discover that the CD doesnt work anymore would be REALLY annoying (and those are the only options for Blade of Destiny).

And i am not touching the trilogy CD, that one is the worst version from what i gathered, the guys that compilated the 3 games into that CD really screwed up while attempting to take out the old copy protection and managed to remove the hardest dificulty from the game, along with some other stuff with it.

At least i have options for getting the third game now. I only wish there was a way of buying these superior versions digitally, it was really frustrating buying the game twice to discover that they are the floppy disk ones.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And i am not touching the trilogy CD, that one is the worst version from what i gathered, the guys that compilated the 3 games into that CD really screwed up while attempting to take out the old copy protection and managed to remove the hardest dificulty from the game, along with some other stuff with it.

woha, didn't know that... sounds bad...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am pretty sure that's not entirely accurate...
I have the following US releases:

th_CIMG1813_resize.jpg th_CIMG1795_resize.jpg

RoA 1 floppy version
RoA 2 CD-ROM version
RoA Trilogy obviously CD-ROM version...
The Trilogy consists of 2 discs: one is RoA3 and the same as the standalone release (which standalone release I sadly lost some years back...) and the other disc has RoA 1+2 and I am again pretty sure that it's the same as the roa2 cdrom release and the installation files from the floppies.

Do you have any more info on what was cut? I am very curious to check it since it's the 1st time I hear about that... unless my mind is playing tricks on me 🤣

edit: unless you are referring to strictly German releases, the Trilogy box above is published by Sir-Tech

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 6, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
I am pretty sure that's not entirely accurate... I have the following US releases: […]
Show full quote

I am pretty sure that's not entirely accurate...
I have the following US releases:

th_CIMG1813_resize.jpg th_CIMG1795_resize.jpg

RoA 1 floppy version
RoA 2 CD-ROM version
RoA Trilogy obviously CD-ROM version...
The Trilogy consists of 2 discs: one is RoA3 and the same as the standalone release (which standalone release I sadly lost some years back...) and the other disc has RoA 1+2 and I am again pretty sure that it's the same as the roa2 cdrom release and the installation files from the floppies.

Do you have any more info on what was cut? I am very curious to check it since it's the 1st time I hear about that... unless my mind is playing tricks on me 🤣

edit: unless you are referring to strictly German releases, the Trilogy box above is published by Sir-Tech

Well, i went and did some research in some german forums about the game (including the official site) and also in this one: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/arkania/arkania.htm

Honestly i am not sure if they refer to the German version or the International one.

As for the Trilogy release, i did read that it was messwork and that one should look either for the german only "Heroic Edition" (even then, i did read one guy mentioning that said Heroic Edition is still missing the additional/optional soundtrack CD present in the original german release of the second game) but avoid any other "compilation" of the saga.

In short it seemed that any CD that contained the first and second game together had missing sound tracks and/or other quirks (such as the missing dificulty), how and which content was missing depended if it was the german or international release.

To me it seemed like this was something that all trilogy versions had it (be it german or international).

Its all very confusing, i have never played this game "for real" when i was younger, so i dont even personally know if said "missing content" is that much relevant, but just knowing that a "complete" version of the game exists makes me want that specific one instead of all the other "inferior" ones. 😕