Common searches

More YouTube Shenanigans

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well now it has reached the point where I can't even finish watching something I left off because it STARTS AT THE BEGINNING WHEN I TRY TO SEEK BACK WHERE I LEFT OFF...

Aren't there third party players that aren't crap for YouTube or is such a thing not "legally" possible?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 21 of 40, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Well now it has reached the point where I can't even finish watching something I left off because it STARTS AT THE BEGINNING WHEN I TRY TO SEEK BACK WHERE I LEFT OFF...

Aren't there third party players that aren't crap for YouTube or is such a thing not "legally" possible?

My solution for when videos on YouTube decide to act stupid is to download them through Keepvid.com. If anything, playing them through Media Player Classic is much more stable. 😜

Reply 22 of 40, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Java is required as it helps fetch the download links for you faster.

Can't use it because they don't support Java 7 for whatever reason and I wasted alot of time dealing with Java enough already...

Also why would java be so mandatory for something like this? I don't care if it takes forever to fetch the download link...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 23 of 40, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I haven't been able to replay videos in YouTube by just hitting the play button when it reaches the end and stops, it just stays there and does nothing until I refresh the page. After all what's happened my expectations are pretty low anyway.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 25 of 40, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mind you, I hear complaints like this in regards to Blip too.

Most problems with either platform tend to be centred around the user's OS and browser combination. In terms of Blip, it's typically because they haven't actually gotten around to making a particular combination work properly, since they're such a small company compared to YouTube, whereas YouTube's problems stem from constantly pushing new changes before they're ready and constantly "fixing" things that aren't broken. Every couple weeks, SOMETHING has changed, even if it's just some little detail like the colour of a button or new graphics for some kind of indicator.

Uploading the videos is the easiest yet most stressful part of producing a web show. Far more so on YouTube than on Blip, but Blip isn't without its stresses too, such as the rare occasion when the conversion process fails or doesn't do its job right. I also once had an episode fail to go live because even though the hour-long upload of the video itself succeeded, the upload immediately afterwards of the thumbnail glitched out... so I had to upload the entire episode a second time and have since never uploaded the two files together, opting to just upload the video first and throw the thumbnail in after the video goes live.

It is very ridiculous though because if you scroll back a few years, these things just plain WORKED. Every online video player has gotten worse over the years, even if only by a little, and speaking as a programmer, I can't quite put my finger on how that is even happening. >_<;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 26 of 40, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate the Google+ changes and still refuse to bend over even when it locks me out of replying to my viewers, but I can't 'break the YouTube habit' since it's what I do now instead of watching TV, to "veg out" and kill time. I don't see myself going back to TV. 🤣

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 27 of 40, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

You can use a program called SMPlayer, it has it's own youtube browser, and while the browser is kinda sucky imo atleast the videos play back really smoothly. It also has the option to download videos in mp4 or flv types. http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/ When you click download, the page wants you to download an ad supported version, if you want no ads, there is a download link for ad free version also. On linux, there is also a program called minitube, but I haven't got too much experience with it.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 28 of 40, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second SMPlayer. On a Pentium-M 1.5 GHz with Radeon 9000 mobile under XP it plays videos fine even on higher resolutions, while the normal browser-based Youtube player maxes out the CPU already at lower resolutions.

Reply 29 of 40, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I relent. Time for me to jump on the Youtube Hate Bandwagon.

Three of my videos got Content-ID'd. One was a fair cop, I had MDK music in the background, unrelated to the content completely. Acknowledged. One was for a piece of music that, as far as I'm aware, is a public domain recording of "Mars, Bringer of War" by Holst. I disputed it, my dispute was rejected, so now I have to acknowledge my apparent horribleness, or be prepared to take the matter to court? Fuck that, have your petty victory, random German company.

The final one was triggered by the music of the game I was covering. Not me using the BGM in some other part of the video, but the actual BGM during gameplay footage. It gets better. The content identified the music as "Hannes Seifert-Wacky Kart: WKTrack 1" administered by "Rebeat Digital GmbH".

OK.

Firstly, the game being shown is Skunny Kart. If Copysoft stole the music (and I wouldn't be surprised if they did), then it's hardly my problem.

Secondly, Wacky Kart was a prototype. It had no music. None appeared during play, and none was hidden in the data files.

So screw you Rebeat Digital GmbH.

Sigh.

Everything sucks.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 30 of 40, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...you know... something curious just occurred to me...

We all want YouTube to work the way it used to without all this Content-ID BS and whatnot, but... I think YouTube WANTS people like us to disappear from them. They don't want anyone around using content, fairly or otherwise, because they're suffering massive lawsuits from big entertainment companies and they figure the best way to solve the lawsuits is to create a system that's so strict there's no way people would be able to bypass it even just a little.

Big Business 101: If it doesn't make you money, don't do it.

Screwing up YouTube by making it less friendly to people trying to fairly use copyrighted content is clearly making them more money, or they wouldn't do it. :P

I think the lesson here is that if you want to do a show of any kind, YouTube is probably not the place to do it from. At least, not exclusively. I'm definitely getting more viewers as a result of being on YouTube now (not a huge amount more but more all the same), but given what's gone down so far I'm almost positive my YouTube account isn't going to last forever. I'm not with a larger content company yet either so that makes me a lot more vulnerable to Content-ID and copyright strikes, the latter of which I haven't been hit by yet and I doubt I ever will given what I cover, but you never know.

The irony there though is that Retroware TV is a part of Maker, just like Blip... I really should just contact the guys there and see what they say... in fact, I'm gonna go do that now. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 31 of 40, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Big entertainment companies are the kinds of companies I think should fail... Fail hard, and no one will miss them.

Of course that's just my unrealistic fantasies talking.

I've been looking for alternatives of youtube but honestly... I might as well host videos out of my own webserver to people I know. Who the hell's really going to watch the random BS I put up anyways apart from close friends?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 32 of 40, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I started, I thought exactly that.

Now I'm 3 away from cracking 200 subscribers. Yeah, that's tiny compared to others in this room, but it's 195 more than I ever envisioned having! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 33 of 40, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, everyone's gotta start somewhere. Even the first few months of ADG back in 2010 saw very little in the way of video views. :B

The real trick is to be consistent and not to make something if you don't like doing it. For me, making ADG episodes can be stressful sometimes, but in the end, it always works out for the best, and some episodes can be surprisingly fun to work on. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 34 of 40, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How good is the Content-ID detection system? If you ran music through some kind of effect or filter, would it still catch it? It wouldn't be a completely faithful representation, but it would be close..

Reply 36 of 40, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stull wrote:

How good is the Content-ID detection system? If you ran music through some kind of effect or filter, would it still catch it? It wouldn't be a completely faithful representation, but it would be close..

People upload videos that have been flipped from left to right and that defeats content ID, at least that's what they believe.

Reply 37 of 40, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I guess inverting the waveform and phasing it just a little bit will defeat the system too?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 39 of 40, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I posted this video a while ago : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOffjiGXhBQ Today Youtube informs me that they matched a song to a song owned by a third party. All it asked me to do was to acknowledge or dispute it. Naturally I acknowledged it because Youtube was correct. But if I were to try to monetize the video, (not that I would, since I posted the video to prove a point, not to infringe or show off my "mad skillz") the money would go straight into Capcom's pocket. I should consider myself lucky that Youtube doesn't mute the audio.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog