VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what's happening here. I have an Asus N53SN laptop running Windows 7 which has an Atheros Azurewave WLAN/Blutooth card installed. I've never had a problem with it for the two years that I've owned it. A couple weeks ago the wifi signal suddenly started dropping out for no reason. First my home router signal would disappear, cutting me off from the internet, then the list of other wifi hotspot signals would dwindle down to about 4 (from like a dozen), and then none at all. The wifi icon would show a red x through it. It was, however, not disabled nor turned off. The Wifi switch on the side of the laptop is on and pressing FN + F2 confirmed it. I downloaded the latest drivers and that seemed to help, but not for long. Eventually it would fail again and not sense any hotspots. Over the past two weeks I've found the behaviour to be extremely erratic. I thought it might be a virus but scans found nothing and I also found no similar issues online to match my problem. When this first happened, my initial reaction was to do a system restore to an earlier point, but that too was only a temporary fix. It keeps happening. I also disabled the Windows Firewall and automatic power management options for the wireless device.

So then I figured there might be something physically wrong with the card. So I took the laptop apart and inspected the card. Nothing visually wrong with it. The antennae are also firmly connected to the card and there doesn't seem to be any damage to them (one is bluetooth, which I've never never tried because I have no bluetooth devices). So I put it back together and started it up. Works again. But not for long. The working behaviour can last anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 days without interruption. It's becoming extremely annoying and I must find the answer.

The only difference to my system before this problem started was installing a couple new Steam games, I believe. I never installed any new software or anything. And restoring to an earlier point obviously didn't help anything so it can't be a software issue. Could my wireless card simply have died? Any ideas that I may not have tried? Whenever this issue crops up again I just have to keep switching the wifi device on and off, disabling and enabling, or uninstalling and reinstalling (including old drivers and new drivers) until it randomly starts working. But if I do nothing and just leave it, it never comes back on its own. I always have to do something. My router is not the issue because all my other wifi devices in the house work just fine. And if my router was the issue, I'd still be able to scan other hotspots which it doesn't do when this issue starts. Any help would be appreciated. I'm at my wit's end.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2014-01-16, 15:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A windows update might have updated the driver.

Go into control panel, device manager and press the roll-back button for the wireless.

See if it helps.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I've rolled back at least a couple dozen times as part of my routine of random actions to get the wifi working again. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Usually Rollback Driver is greyed out, though.

My Github

Reply 4 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, sometimes the AUTO configuration in the router is not the best anymore. Try a fixed channel with as few other interfering other networks as possible.

Also is there a new device near your laptop? These can interfere, too. I had a Belkin USB hub interfere with everything at some point. A new lamp could also be a problem.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I've taken it to work and my parents house and the same issue happens consistently so it's not my location or the devices I'm around. Like I said, I lose the ability to scan ANY hotspot not just the one in my house.

My Github

Reply 6 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had exactly same thing with USB antenna router. Tried different PCs, original and downloaded drivers, ended up returning the thing back to the store. This things happen. If I were you I would start looking for a replacement card.

Reply 7 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was afraid of that....it's just much harder to do for a laptop. It's a tiny little square card. I have seen them online, though, and luckily not very expensive. I'll have to save up I suppose. I'm just afraid of buying it and it not solving the problem. I'm still wondering if the problem lies in software somewhere. Be it drivers or a virus. But everything acts as if there just really are no hotspots in the vicinity. Not that the device is disabling or malfunctioning or anything. And that just continues to point to a hardware issue.

My Github

Reply 9 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, sorry, really points at a hardware issue ;(

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not 100% convinced this is a hardware issue considering you can't just leave the laptop off and come back to it and have it working for a little. However, I'm not quite sure what it could be from a software standpoint either. :/

Try starting Windows in safe mode with networking support and see if that helps and how long it lasts for. Failing that, you may actually want to try booting into another OS (like Linux) and see if the wireless card will function that way, and if so, for how long. These steps would at least help determine if it's software or hardware related.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll give it a go with a liveCD at some point. I'll try safe mode too. Thanks for the tips.

EDIT: Oh, I should also mention that one time when this first happened I tried to boot into the pre-OS interface/BIOS type thing. It has a web browser and a few simple games and whatnot. Shows internet connectivity in a small icon at the top. It also couldn't connect to the internet. I'll give it a try in Linux just to be sure, though.

My Github

Reply 13 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, some interesting developments. Because my wifi wasn't reliable anymore, I started toting around my DLink Router which I flashed with DD-WRT firmware so that I could use it as a client bridge (basically an external wireless card). I've done this before with my PC when it was too far away to connect physically to a router. I brought my laptop to work one day, along with my router, and it wouldn't connect to the network no matter what I did. So in resignation I abandoned it and turned once more to my failing wifi device in my laptop. I found that it wasn't detecting the network correctly (as 'public' not 'work' like I had set it before) so I deduced that I had to wipe the pre-existing settings that I made for the network and start again. So I went to Set Network Properties for the connection and clicked on "Merge or delete network locations" and deleted my work's network. I then reconnected to it and.....absolutely no problems. No drop-outs. Nothing.

I took it home and repeated this step for my home network and I haven't been cut off yet (running for days now). So somehow I guess my saved network settings were bugged somehow. I don't really see how that's possible, but I see no other explanation. Does this even make sense?

My Github