VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At first, I wasn't going to use Patreon because in the future, I want to be able to make money from selling the games I make.

...but... I've been speaking to a number of people privately, friends, fans, Clint himself, and... I think there may be a way to pull this off that won't feel like I'm just trying to grab money from people because money. :P

If I do join Patreon, it won't change the way I make or distribute anything. My show will go on the way it always has, free to view for everyone, and any games I make that are of substantial quality will be sold through my website or possibly through other third parties. The purpose of creating the Patreon account would simply be for anyone who wants to support the show beyond just waiting 15 to 30 seconds for ads to pass when they watch an episode.

However, I'm bringing this up now because I'm at a loss as to what to offer as rewards for various monthly pledge levels and would like to get some ideas from everyone.

I already know that one of the rewards early in the list would be free copies of any games I release while having an active pledge going, and it's gotta be early in the list because I won't be able to guarantee when or even IF certain games will be completed. Making games is secondary to the show; has been since I started it.

But beyond that, I'm not sure what else to offer. I'm typically uncomfortable doing things in a group setting so I'm mostly thinking towards things I could offer people at an individual level, like maybe signed copies of scripts or something. I also wouldn't make any outrageously high pledge reward levels. Given that these are monthly pledge amounts for a show people can watch for free, I would want every reward level to be sensible so that even people who want to pledge no more than $1/mo can get something for their generosity. :B

*shrugs* Anyone have any ideas?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 4, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like watching your vids, I'd flick a few bucks a month your way!

In terms of rewards, just do something simple. It doesn't have to be extravagant, just a small token to say "Thank you!"

E.g. LGR's signed floppy disks are a cool idea.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 4, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alas, I don't have a lot of blank floppy disks to give away. My retro collection as a whole, while not insubstantial, is much smaller than Clint's. :P

I was kinda hoping everyone would have some more ideas 'cause this is the only thing stopping me from setting this up at the moment. I have decided that the reward tiers should be powers of 2, starting with $1 and going up to $16, which would make for 5 of them, but so far I only really have three ideas:

* Being mentioned in the credits of an upcoming episode for becoming a supporter through Patreon
* Getting free copies of any games I complete while having an active pledge going
* Getting a signed copy of any of my printed scripts, with a choice of which depending on which ones are left

These would probably be the $1, $4, and $8 tiers respectively, which means I still need a $2 tier and a $16 tier. And of course, each higher tier would include the rewards of earlier tiers. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 4 of 4, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of Clint's reward tiers is related to doing Q&A videos... I think that might be a good one to have. Normally, when people ask me stuff by eMail I just answer them directly, but it might be good to compile questions and answer them on camera as I've done with a couple fillers. Heh, Dr. Sbaitso will rise again! ...and once again I'll have to lock up all the sharp/pointy things in the house. :P

Still have to figure out one of the higher reward tiers though. I thought about Livestreaming stuff, but I think that might drive me crazy if I do it on a regular basis. I also had a thought about maybe doing multiplayer gaming sessions but that opens up a whole host of potential problems, and sometimes those problems aren't solvable, so that ultimately wouldn't be a very good one. I haven't completely discounted the idea of doing voice chats one-on-one with people as the highest reward tier, so I might go with that.

I'm hoping to have this all figured out by Monday next week 'cause that's when I want to officially get this going. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)