VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 107 of 121, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really see the point of making several different clone cards when the availability of the actual MPU-401's seem to be nonexistent these days. Only few have beens sold in the past few months on eBay and the prices are only going to get higher when all the interface card owners fight for the last remaining MPU's.

Reply 109 of 121, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I think it's wonderful that people managed to reverse engineer this highly sought after ISA card. It would be cool if someone could make a clone Voodoo 2 card, but yeah, don't see that happening anytime soon or ever.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 110 of 121, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

3: 1000(0)s of MPUs were sold in the 1980s so they will continue to appear.

I'm sure that's somewhat true, but it just seems that more people are churning out new versions of the card than there are available MPU's for it. I also presume many MPU's were discraded long time ago because the interface card was missing and no one saw a need to save the BOB's. So are there REALLY that many MPU's in the wild? Even if CL has them, that's a niche market compared to the world wide demand. I don't see them posted that often, even if I go through Amibay and other similar forums.

Reply 112 of 121, by pearce_jj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for posting the links to my card above (I am Lo-tech site owner).

This card was actually developed specifically for a well known musician, the objective being to run multiple MPU-401's on an XT (in his studio). It's a simple board so I thought it may as well be the best and most flexible clone I could make. And if it works, I'll release the rest of the PCB batch for anyone else interested.

Reply 115 of 121, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i own a MIF-IPC-B card and it works fantastically!!!!!
id like to get another as i have two MPU-401 BOB's but only one MIF-IPC-B card!

then i could have dedicated MIDI for both my 386/DX40 + 486/DX2/80

im still interested in finding out if anyone ever succeeds in running more than one BOB from a single MIF-IPC-B card
that was the original goal of this new design, im still not 100% sure as to how that would be accomplished..
i had told the developer before that i own 2 BOB's and id like to try to get them both working at the same time with the
singular MIF-IPC-B that i have but i havent tried to do anything with this yet..

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 116 of 121, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the 1st generation MPUs have issues with anything faster than a 286? AFAIK these speed issues were fixed with the IPC-T and onwards...

i have an mpu-ipc (version prior to the mpu-ipc-t?)
does that mean i will have problems with this on a 386 or 486?
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/topic,3232

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 118 of 121, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Why are all the posts by PeterLI deleted?

Edit: User doesn't exist anymore either.

He went around and deleted most of his posts when he left - probs ~12 months or more ago.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 119 of 121, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully there was no drama there. He was a pretty good resource for all things Roland.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder