VOGONS

Common searches

Project MPU (bringing MPU-401 BOBs back to life)

Topic actions

First post, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-

Last edited by PeterLI on 2016-12-15, 16:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 121, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have a list of parts required? I may be able to help with the procurement of components. PM me if you'd like 😀

http://www.hudson187.com

Reply 4 of 121, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The good thing about a project like this is that the parts are all off the shelf 74 series logic chips, even the connector and the bracket, and the soldering is strictly through-hole. Not counting the board, $15 from Digikey or Mouse should get you everything you need.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 121, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the 1st generation MPUs have issues with anything faster than a 286? AFAIK these speed issues were fixed with the IPC-T and onwards...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 121, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the 1st generation MPUs have issues with anything faster than a 286? AFAIK these speed issues were fixed with the IPC-T and onwards...

Its not the MPU-401 breakout box that is the issue, its the interface card. The original MIF-IPC only works in the IBM PC and XT, hence the MIF-IPC-A, which works with anything.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 11 of 121, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, had no idea about MIF-IPC and MIF-IPC-A , I thought they were the same. Good to know 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 121, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

MPU-401 BOBs are pretty common. I bought 4 so far this week and they are relatively cheap at that.

They won't be very common if you buy them all!
Didn't your wife want you to get rid of stuff, not collect more? 🤣

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 17 of 121, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's quite obvious that Peter is more of a trader with a profit oriented agenda. It doesn't really worry be, but Peter don't be surprised if people aren't too fond of this. I recommend just being straight with from the get go 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 121, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's irrelevant if people feel you are fleecing them, besides which you may know nothing about fashion etc, a few hundred on the side is always handy.

but i agree with mauwurf - just be upfront. if you sell at component cost you will be very popular but sods law someone else will spoil it by selling your output at profit. you might as well set a reasonable price yourself at least.