VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 41 of 121, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Of course. In case you have the skill / tools you could always look into building / designing a MIF-IPC-A PCI clone. A MCA version would be even cooler.

Unfortunately i don't have that kind of talent. But would be definitely very cool.

Reply 43 of 121, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think because PCI has no DMA controller it could be difficult to make a card that was designed for the ISA bus to work on a PCI bus. There are ways to go around it added by proper chipset support also.

Reply 45 of 121, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Right. But that is exactly why it becomes problematic: it is not very straightforward like ISA and a MIF-IPC-A which has very few components really.

Did you ask him about PCI?

Reply 50 of 121, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Any regular DB25 25PIN serial cable will work. So that is convenient as well. 😀

The connection between the MIF and MPU is essentially a bus extension. Use a low-quality cable, or one longer than three feet, and you're asking for trouble. Ask Great Hierophant about his recent experience. 😀

Reply 52 of 121, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

What happened GH? 😀

I used a 12' cable, and it seemed to work fine at first. On slower systems it gave me weird errors like MPU INIT ERROR on the MT-32's display, which I had never seen before.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 55 of 121, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Interesting. Shorter cables might be the better choice then.

The official cable is 42" long, end to end.

Congratulations on the compact design, I look forward to trying a board out.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog