User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

What will connect to the card?

the Roland MPU-401 box , this specific version:

2hnnbdg.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 69 of 121, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good. Now please clone the breakout box as well.

🤣

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 71 of 121, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

Good. Now please clone the breakout box as well.

If it is enough to just make it compatible with PC, it only needs to look like a register compatible UART to a PC (register map is approximately compatible with a Motorola 6850 UART). Then make a compatible breakout box with modern microcontroller guts as you wish.

Reply 73 of 121, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey hey that 🤣 smiley means I was kidding!

I have the MPU-IPC-T version (got the pair for cheap years ago), you know, where the processing unit is on the ISA card instead. Hence some of the chips look very familiar to the innards of your MPU-401. In the case of your MPU-401 it actually houses the processing unit itself indeed, so it's more than just a "breakout box" -- whereas with the MPU-IPC-T the term is more correct. 😀

Apparently the MPU-401 box is as important as the MPU-IPC-T card, but the silly thing is that the MPU-IPC-T breakout boxes are far more available than the actual MIDI processing unit cards themselves. Silly silly scrapers!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 74 of 121, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great job. Nice to see someone taking a project through to completion. Out of interest what's the total materials & assembly cost per card in your current small production run?

Reply 76 of 121, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Um, when you say this:

PeterLI wrote:

MPU-401s are pretty common and usually really cheap. 😀

How cheap do you mean exactly? Somewhere under $50? Actually I got my two pairs for less than that each. Well the cheap ones come and go really fast I suppose.

Btw, I too like the elegant design of the MPU-401 box. And also the cards you have made -- they look simply good somehow. 😀

Reply 78 of 121, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

1 JPY

Oh, one yen... of course. Excuse me, I have to go and learn some Japanese. Then I'll grab myself some bargain ローランド stuff. 🤣