Common searches

Show us your inner child

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I came across this photo of my 16 year old self recently, sitting in front of my 486SX33 in early 1994. This was officially a family computer but luckily I was the only one that took any real interest in it, so I had it to myself outside the odd sibling typing out a school assignment. They gave that up pretty quickly after realising that using a dot-matrix printer is more trouble than writing by hand 😵

By the looks of things this was taken before I’d saved up enough money for a sound blaster, because there are no speakers to be seen. There was however a holster on the side of the monitor for the mouse, that must have come in handy! I think I can just make out ‘Syndicate’ on the monitor; an old favourite.

Does anyone else have a photo of their younger selves in front of rigs gone by, or just photos of their old rigs?

me_zps14c1786b.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 38, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool thread. I don't think i have pictures of me with my old PC's, but i think i have a picture maybe from 22 years ago with me and my cousin posing for the camera and a Timex 2048 ZX Spectrum clone running Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. 🤣

Reply 2 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish I had some. Shame we didn't have access to cheap phones and digital cameras...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 38, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

My inner child looks something like this

Dude could you save this retarded shit for your own threads please?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, I'll see if I can add to this thread 😀
nice one!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 38, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing how I scream when I look at a mirror... I don't really have any photos to show. Only one I've taken is very recent though people say I don't look anywhere in my 20's even though I am 21 years old.

But the machine I had the most fond "childhood" memories of was a Quantex that was equipped with a STB Velocity VGA card and a Voodoo 2 (a SINGLE voodoo 2... my father bought another to SLI them but that proved to be unstable alot)

I think I was 10 or something years old maybe younger when I had that... It was not long before the thing had overheating problems and we had to put several fans pointing at the damn POS with the case taken off, we never really did fix the problem.... The machine probably corroded away in the basement by now.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 38, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

What happened to that nice gateway keyboard maximus? It vanished somewhere b/w ages 6 and 12??

Given away, along with tons of other nice stuff. I swear, I have never given or thrown anything away that I did not later regret. It's hard to see from the picture, but that's actually a Gateway Anykey keyboard with programmable macro keys. It would be worth a good $70 nowadays.

The monitor in the newer pictures is a Vivitron 17. Also very nice, also gone.

I'll be spending good money to replace those things someday.

PCGames9505

Reply 13 of 38, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
sliderider wrote:

My inner child looks something like this

Dude could you save this retarded shit for your own threads please?

That's a bit harsh when he's baring his soul 😉.

Reply 14 of 38, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My mom used to say that when I was little (about 3 or 4) and when we go to the amusement/recreation park, all I used to do is stand at one of those arcade machines that has the wheel - you know, the one with green cars on green road - forgot the name of the game (top-down perspective, vertical moving car). Too bad I don't have any pictures of that.

That was in the late 70's - maybe '78 or '79.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't find the old picture I was looking for... but I found this!

IMG03249-20140125-1311_zps78713719.jpg

That's in 1997 when I was stationed in a remote camp on an Aegean island , the photo was taken during summer, that's why there is no cover on the oc tower 🤣 The heat was great that summer, I remember it... The pc is mine, I got it from home so we could use it for serious and "non serious" work in the camp. I spent ~10 months there.
IIRC this pc had my Diamond-Micronics 440BX mobo with a 433mhz celeron on a slot1-socket, an S3 8MB AGP vga , and the Yamaha Waveforce 192XG soundcard. Can't remember if there is a voodoo in there... my old dot-matrix EPSON printer is present as was my trusty and heavy 17" sony monitor... 🤣
I also remember that these speakers were epic 😈

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 and you get to see me ~17 years ago with hair on my head
that place looks like it's from 1950, and it is! it was a remote camp near a beach on the edge of the island... only a small village was near and you had to walk ~15mins to get there....

Reply 18 of 38, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yassou Keropi!...great photo....Ah yes, the mandatory millitary service for young men in Greece...I am well aware of it as I have family there.

The Agean....absolutely beautiful place. I'm guessing you were stationed in Lesvos or Limnos? My cousin was stationed in the N. Agean as well.

Reply 19 of 38, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yassou back retrofanatic!
Yep, you kinda hate the service when you are doing it but 90% of men kinda miss it when years pass by... 🤣 you learn lots of things (and I don't mean only weapons stuff) and you actually grow up there.
I was stationed in the island of Chios btw 😀