VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My dad bought it for me back in '94 or '95 and it functioned perfectly in my 486. I later upgraded to a socket 7 Pentium and kept the sound card. One day sound just stopped working. I could hear default Windows sounds but couldn't play MP3's (output was garbled). So I concluded that there must be something wrong with the card and I put it back in the box. Yes, I still have EVERYTHING today including the floppy disks.

Well, last Friday I found the card again and decided to test it. I installed it in my 286 system and to my delight sound worked fine in Leisure Suit Larry 3. I have to try some effects next but not today. Keeping my fingers crossed...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 11, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool! Good luck! 😁

I had (just sold it) a CT1320 that would not allow my IBM ValuePoint to boot but it worked just fine in PS/2 Model 30 8086s. It is strange how things (do not) work sometimes. 😊

Reply 2 of 11, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it works with Larry it should be in good condition. A good test on a 286 system is the Shareware of Wolfenstein 3D. Just the the BLASTER-Variable in DOS, e.g. SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
(corresponding to the jumpersettings on your card) and start the game. In the SOUND SETUP section you can then set the Music and Digtial effects. Start the first level and you will hear the genuine OPL2 music (the OPL3 on the CT2600 is 100% compatible with it) as well as stereo effects. If both isn't distorted you can be sure the card is fine.

Btw. I have a big sound card collection and tested all the SB Pro cards. In terms of the built quality of the board, no SB PRO card is better than the CT2600. It's a very high building standard, better than the famous CT1600 (which is basically the same card just with a Panasonic CD-Interface instead of the Mitsumi Interface on the CT2600). I also tend to find the output quality of the CT2600 better than on the CT1600 but that may vary with every card.

Anyways, enjoy the card 😀

Fabian

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

doesn't matter if it's 8bit, the cpu decodes the mp3 and sends wave data to the soundcard... obviously in settings you need to select 22050hz output

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT2600 should have DSP version 3.xx, capable of high speed DMA for stereo 22050 Hz at 8-bit.
It may not sound perfect but certainly capable of MP3 playback.

Reply 6 of 11, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of 8-bit cards I only tried MP3 on an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (8-bit stereo), and it won't play.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 7 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to play MP3s with a Soundblaster Pro 2.
It worked fine and did not sound that horrible.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 11, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting.

Of 8-bit stereo I have SB Pro CT1330 and MV Pro AudioSpectrum, perhaps someday I'll try MP3 on them.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mp3 playback can work with the Disney Sound Source if you find a program that supports it, it's not a matter of bits in the soundcard, it's a matter to have a cpu capable of decoding the mp3 and sending wave data to the card in a hz/bit/mono-stereo format that it works with. 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

under Dos (with DMPI and enough memory),
you could try Ken Silverman MP3 player: http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm#mp3
but his mp3 player dislike ID3v2 tag, you might want to strip the tag before it could be played.

-fffuuu