VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently sold a motherboard to a buyer in Uzbekistan. Buyer had over 100 feedback and all positive so I didn't see a reason to remove his bid. After the auction he asked me to ship the motherboard using a calculation he got from the usps web site. That calculation showed $25 for a priority mail flat rate small box or dvd box. I let him know that there is no way to fit a boxed motherboard into a DVD sized box. He then replied he's willing to pay $35 and would like a discount on shipping since he's sure there must be a cheaper way to ship it.

The cheapest option is USPS Priority Mail international (the box weights over 6 lbs so I can't use First Class Int) which is at $62. The auction was set up so the buyer would see their actual shipping charges before bidding. I'd love to give him a discount but that means I'd have to pay out of my own pocket which I'm sure as hell not going to do. However I don't see how that stops him from leaving a negative/neutral feedback.

Reply 2 of 22, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this problem aswell. I put I dont want to send abroad but often some one overseas wins and I have to explain to them I dont want to send unless I have some kind of proof of delivery which is expensive.

I am also sick of people wining and not paying for things. After I sell all my old parts thats it for me and ebay.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 3 of 22, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could tell him that you would be only too happy to ship it inside the box whose shipping cost he calculated, but that he should have plenty of epoxy and solder to put it back together again when it arrives.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$60 is about average shipping price for a motherboard from USA to Australia in my experience. If he's not happy with the shipping price cancel the transaction.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Soupdragon wrote:

I have this problem aswell. I put I dont want to send abroad but often some one overseas wins and I have to explain to them I dont want to send unless I have some kind of proof of delivery which is expensive.

I am also sick of people wining and not paying for things. After I sell all my old parts thats it for me and ebay.

Then don't open your auctions to international users?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then how can anyone from overseas bid on your items, let alone win? Ebay is quite good at that, unless you allow it overseas people cannot bid on your items. If you don't want to send to them, don't allow them to bid.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Next time, look closer to prevent yourself from trouble. I can't tell you where it is but it is there 😉

Reply 11 of 22, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience from sales in general is that if you state the exact weight and size of the item with packaging materials you avoid alot of problems (for both domestic and international sales). I've bought a small up to 5kg letter scale from China. It measures down to the exact kilogram how much an item weighs. I then put up links to the post office and the price so that people can check for themselves that it is correct.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Jan3Sobieski : If he agrees, you can discard the motherboard's box and repack the board in a padded foam with bubble wraps and place it inside the USPS box, and also tell him that's the best you can do keeping in mind the cost. Otherwise I suggest cancelling the transaction if he's unable to pay for the proper package.

bjt wrote:

Regarding potential negative feedback, buyers can't leave feedback until they've paid.

Once, I don't know how, but a buyer managed to leave a negative feedback before paying - he said he can't pay AFTER winning the bid. And I finally told him that I'll open a non-paying case, after a few trials of communications.

It took me about 3 months for eBay to correct this after multiple mails to the support - asking how the hell he managed to leave a feedback, even BEFORE he paid! Finally I put up my rants in the Sellers' discussion forums, also displaying the contents of the mail between me and the buyer. And only then eBay seems to have taken notice of this problem and rectified it immediately.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 22, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone for your replies

Malik wrote:

@Jan3Sobieski : If he agrees, you can discard the motherboard's box and repack the board in a padded foam with bubble wraps and place it inside the USPS box, and also tell him that's the best you can do keeping in mind the cost. Otherwise I suggest cancelling the transaction if he's unable to pay for the proper package.

I offered that to him but he wants the original box and all contents.

Malik wrote:
bjt wrote:

Regarding potential negative feedback, buyers can't leave feedback until they've paid.

Once, I don't know how, but a buyer managed to leave a negative feedback before paying - he said he can't pay AFTER winning the bid. And I finally told him that I'll open a non-paying case, after a few trials of communications.

It took me about 3 months for eBay to correct this after multiple mails to the support - asking how the hell he managed to leave a feedback, even BEFORE he paid! Finally I put up my rants in the Sellers' discussion forums, also displaying the contents of the mail between me and the buyer. And only then eBay seems to have taken notice of this problem and rectified it immediately.

This is what I'm trying to avoid. Not to mention, he can eventually pay for shipping, I'll ship it out, and he'll leave negative/neutral feedback because he didn't get his way.

vetz wrote:

My experience from sales in general is that if you state the exact weight and size of the item with packaging materials you avoid alot of problems (for both domestic and international sales). I've bought a small up to 5kg letter scale from China. It measures down to the exact kilogram how much an item weighs. I then put up links to the post office and the price so that people can check for themselves that it is correct.

That's what I do with everything I sell on ebay. I prepackage everything and when creating the auction I specify the shipping box's dimensions and weight so there is no guessing on the buyer side about how much will shipping be to his/her location. It was disclosed for him as well. He just thought there should be a cheaper way or I should give him a discount after he won.

Reply 14 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like what you have is a failure to communicate, either that or he believes he deserves something for nothing simply by virtue of existing on this earth (you know, the "it's all about ME!" attitude). 😒 Either way, nothing I'd want to deal with, especially if you're worried about him being retaliatory and leaving negative feedback just to be a pill. I'd kill the transaction if at all possible.

And as an aside - this is probably the most outlandish thing I've yet heard regarding international shipping. I did some online sales a year or so ago doing housecleaning, and ended up with primarily international buyers - after the initial sticker shock of EMS it was pretty smooth sailing. I do highly suggest going with the USPS service that includes tracking and delivery confirmation (it's the more premium of their international services, and iirc the price difference is pretty slim) - just to be sure that the item gets where it's supposed to go and that if it was/is damaged in shipping, USPS covers that, not you or the buyer (because obviously you and/or the buyer had nothing to do with the box being used for rugby practice before being loaded onto the plane).

Reply 16 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jan3Sobieski. I know this may not be a solution to your problem, but have you actually just tried to go to your local post office and have them confirm the actual final shipping price? Sometimes, I have found that when you do that, the post office will give you a different rate than what is listed online. You never know, it could be a bit cheaper than what the website is quoting...it's happened to me a few times.

There's nothing like talking to an actual person sometimes instead of depending on the USPS website.

Reply 17 of 22, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:

Jan3Sobieski. I know this may not be a solution to your problem, but have you actually just tried to go to your local post office and have them confirm the actual final shipping price? Sometimes, I have found that when you do that, the post office will give you a different rate than what is listed online. You never know, it could be a bit cheaper than what the website is quoting...it's happened to me a few times.

There's nothing like talking to an actual person sometimes instead of depending on the USPS website.

Maybe it depends on the location but I have never, ever seen online shipping to be higher than going to a USPS location. The opposite actually. The only time I've seen that is when online shipping could not find the actual international address I provided, and gave me estimated shipping cost. However, it wouldn't allow me to purchase a shipping label and asked me to visit the closest usps location to ship the item.

Reply 18 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

http://pastebin.com/HvzvYvgV have to read from bottom up

Wow...just...wow.

My experience with USPS is a lot like yours - calling their 1-800 or going in usually only helps if the website can't find the specific location in the world. In some cases I've had that result in a lower price because the website was trying to send my package out into the wilderness, and it actually needed to go to a city. 😒

Reply 19 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want me to simply ship it in the original box and slap a shipping sticker on the original box, I can do that, but doing it this way will damage the original box in shipping, (not to mention, it will advertise to everybody what is exactly the box.)

Wrap the box in brown paper. It's not as heavy as an actual external box and still offers a modest degree of protection. Granted, if the box itself is unusually precious then this may not be adequate, and of course it's not a good idea at all if the contents of the box itself are not adequately padded.