VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had some strange issues with a tyan 1854. For those not familiar with it, it is a combo socket 7 and slot 1 board with an apollo pro 133 MHz chipset. A while back I removed all the mounting hardware for the slot 1 so I could use a larger cooler on the socket 370 - a pentium III 1100. Ever since then I had problems powering off - a software *"shut down" would not kill it completely - it would start flashing the hard drive light and fans spinning slowly. I even pulled the motherboard out and went over - could not find anything wrong. Eventually I gutted most of it for other systems.

Fast forward - I recently decided to rebuild the system. No more shutoff problem. Then I run into another problem - it stops turning on. I take everything out - all the way down to pulling out the processor and could find anything wrong. I finally got it running again my resetting the BIOS. What?

I start testing it by playing half-life. Then more problems start cropping up. Turning on but not booting - no video. And then freezing up after booting. My first suspect was RAM - but that was not the problem. Fixed it by turning off AGP4x. I found some articles on the web about people with similar problems - a Tyan rep supposedly said the board was not tested with anything past a radeon 7xxx and was not designed to carry that much current.

I downgraded it from the 9600 back to the 9200, switched back to AGP4X and the system seem stable. I am going to test it a few more days - but I am not sure I trust it. Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 1, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using a fast AGP card that takes 12V power directly from the power supply.

I think it was Toms Hardware that did a test back in the day to see how much current diffrent AGP cards needs from the AGP slot.
Some of the cards that use 12V power directly from the PSU did not need much current from the AGP slots 5V at all, others still needed alot.
I do not remember the details but you could try to find the test.

I would also test with another power supply and check the motherboard for bad caps.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.