VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's your favorite shareware/freeware (in any category: games, apps, etc)?

Reply 1 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Operation: Inner Space

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 17, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original unpatched first release of DOOM shareware version.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

WinRAR 😀

a couple of years back I asked if I could registered the DOS version as well (already a regged user of the windows version since many years) but they could not provide a key 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IrfanView. Things come and go, but IrfanView endures. Where would I be without it?

The only respect in which I can fault it is that baffling cat-run-over-by-a-car icon (and its alternative, the freakish grey-woman-in-bikini). Sometime around seventeen years ago I experimented with swapping in a different icon, but right around then the author started using an executable packer and it became more trouble than it was worth.

Also, TeraCopy is pretty damn sweet.

And Media Player Classic, which saves us from the tyranny of bloated alternatives like Windows Media Player and Quicktime. I suppose VLC is pretty good too, but they took so long to get their UI together that I tend to shy away from it, especially since ffdshow virtually eliminates the codec woes of old.

And Everything Search, because file searching in Windows 7 is unspeakably horrible.

Reply 7 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currant PC Apps: Img burn, VLC, Cute PDF WinRAR, Daemon Tools lite, AVG. All get put on any daily driver PC
Old PC's Apps: Winamp (9x) WinRAR (9x) Pkzip (Dos)
Games: Doom, Raptor (purchased both due to shareware) ROTT, Epic Pinball (Played to death but never purchased) I'm sure there are many more
Special mention: Nlite, and various cleanup tools such as ccleaner, Malwarebytes, combofix. Makes my life easy
Hated programs: Java, Adobe anything. There may be alternatives but for max compatibility your stuck with these

Reply 8 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In terms of modern freeware, I get a ton of use out of VirtualDub. I use Media Player Classic quite a bit too, but it doesn't work so nicely for commercial Blu-Ray discs.

In terms of games, I played the heck out of the shareware version of Descent before I finally got the game from a friend who didn't want his anymore. Cyberdogs is also a really fun freeware DOS game that I can just sit down and play when I'm bored, as well as One Must Fall 2097, which I was very determined to use the Pyros in when I discovered it was possible in the tournament mode in the shareware versions, whereas normally the only HARs you could use were the Jaguar, Shadow and Thorn. Of course, the game's freeware now so that's even better. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some small(ish) freeware games for Windows that found their way onto my hard drive and weren't subsequently deleted:

Pixel's Cave Story
Anahara Masataka's Crocodile Garden
Caravel's DROD: Architects' Edition (Linux also)
Daniel Remar's Hero Core and Iji
Derek Yu's Spelunky
Loren Schmidt's Star Guard (Mac also)

Reply 14 of 17, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Stull wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

The Quake shareware CD 😉

🤣