Common searches

Tyrian: Roland SC55 vs Yamaha MU80

Topic actions

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As we all know, there are several choices for general MIDI sound. The best and most popular choices come from Roland and Yamaha.

While some seem to prefer Roland because this was what composers composed for, some might like Yamaha a little bit better on other tunes. I love both Roland and Yamaha, so i made my personal shootout with the soundtrack from Tyrian! This is a totally personal but also unbiased opinion on which synth sounded better on said song. Occasionally i throw some comments too.

1-Asteroid Dance Part 2

Winner: Roland

This track seemed to me to shine better on Roland.

2-Asteroid Dance Part 1

Winner: Yamaha

This was a sursprise to me, as i expected again the Roland to be better, and although it's great Yamaha just sounds better in this tune. The strings are beautiful, sounds very spatial and dreamy. The bass is also a big thumbs up for the Yamaha!

3-Buy/Sell Music

Winner: Tie

4-Camanis

Instruments on the Yamaha sound more real/less artificial to me.

5-Camanise

I simply preferred Roland here.

6-Deli Shop Quartet

Didn't like the synth parts on the Roland, so i preferred Yamaha.

7-Deli Shop Quartet No2

I believe most people will prefer Roland here, but the Marimba for me is just too harsh.

8-Ending Number 1

Great example on how the stuff seems better balanced on Roland, specially volume wise.

9-Ending Number 2

A tie really, couldn't decide which is best, both sound good to me.

10-End of level

The strings on the Yamaha sound beautiful here. Gets my vote.

11-Game over Solo

Overall, sounded better on Roland.

12-Gryphons of the west

Roland is just better here, plain and simple.

13-Somebody pick up the Gryphone

The synth drum on the Yamaha is kinda lame. Too loud and harsh. Roland takes the crown.

14-Gyges will you please help me

I went with Roland because overall sounds better balanced specially volume wise, but keep this in mind: Some Yamaha instruments sound better, more realistic if you prefer.

15-I speak Gygese

Gotta go with Yamaha here, don't like the saw wave on the Roland.

16-Halloweemn rumble

Nothing to say.

17-Tunneling Trolls

This is one of the tunes some people will prefer Yamaha others Roland. I enjoy the bass on Yamaha, but again Roland is overall better balanced.

18-Tyrian, the level

Matter of taste for me. The real winner for this song is... OPL3!!!!!!!

19-The Musicman

Roland strikes again. Better musicality.

20-The Navigator

Just preffered Yamaha.

21-Come back to me Savara

Synths are just too loud on the Roland. Too much. And the strings on Yamaha are awesome.

22-Come back again to Savara

Roland was good here.

23-Space Journey 1

Again instruments are just better balanced on Roland.

24-Space Journey 2

Overall Roland is better, but again some instruments are better on Yamaha. Roland still wins!

25-The final edge

Roland again.

26-Strats

Pretty close, but i preferred the Oboe on Yamaha...

27-Parlance

Overall was more enjoyable on Yamaha.

28-Torm the gathering

Synth on Roland too harsh.

29-Transon

Bass on Yamaha is great.

30-Tyrian: The song

I prefer the instruments on the Yamaha.

31-Zanac3

Not really much difference between the two.

32-Zanacs

Roland totally defeated Yamaha here. Much better.

33-Return to Savara

Overall Roland is better again. Great balance.

34-High Score table

Really like the drums on this one.

35-One Mustn't fall

Here again Roland shines on being more balanced, better volume levels for instruments. But i simply had to choose Yamaha, because some instruments sound so much more authentic to me. So this is matter of preference.

36-Sarah's Song

Roland better here.

37-A field for the mag

Again not much to say, Roland was simply better.

38-Rock Garden

Here i preffered Yamaha. Maybe because of the bass, drums and guitar sound more Rock to me.

39-Quest for Peace

Liked the instruments better on Yamaha.

40-Composition in Q

The piano on the Roland is superior. Much more natural.

41-Beer

Both are very good to me, sound a little different but i could not pick up one over the other. I believe most people would prefer Roland here.

So... This is my take on Tyrian soundtrack. I encourage you guys, owners of Yamaha and Roland GM stuff to do the same. Keep in mind this was a shootout between external modules the SC-55 and the MU80.

Reply 1 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very detailed my friend!
Although I like the roland sound better (due to the balance reasons you mention as well) I'll check the tracks later and report back 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tyrian's music is supposed to be played on a OPL2, I never quite understood why and how it has GM sound when the LDS music is basically a tracker for OPL2 chips from what I can understand of it.

What do these songs sound like on the SC-88 I wonder? Or would something have to be specifically composed to make use of the SC-88's sounds?

By the way, Tyrian on a original AWE32 sounds really dumb.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are my choices 🤣

1-Asteroid Dance Part 2

2-Asteroid Dance Part 1

Sounded more space/synthy to me

3-Buy/Sell Music

Roland sounds mode spacy though, better fx usage?

4-Camanis

more volume on it

5-Camanise

more detailed result

6-Deli Shop Quartet

same as Carlos, didn't like the synth parts on the Roland, so i preferred Yamaha.

7-Deli Shop Quartet No2

8-Ending Number 1

Yamaha is just out of place

9-Ending Number 2

seems more clear to me

10-End of level

same: The strings on the Yamaha sound way better

11-Game over Solo

Yamaha was muffled

12-Gryphons of the west

13-Somebody pick up the Gryphone

14-Gyges will you please help me

sounds good but different on both synths

15-I speak Gygese

better Saw Wave on Yamaha but it seems to me that it lacks the detail of roland in other parts of the song

16-Halloweemn rumble

Just sounds better to me

17-Tunneling Trolls

18-Tyrian, the level

Yamaha feels there is sound detail missing

19-The Musicman

20-The Navigator

21-Come back to me Savara

22-Come back again to Savara

23-Space Journey 1

24-Space Journey 2

25-The final edge

26-Strats

27-Parlance

more synthy

28-Torm the gathering

only by volume of the synth

29-Transon

more synthy/spacy sound

30-Tyrian: The song

31-Zanac3

32-Zanacs

Yamaha is horrible on this

33-Return to Savara

34-High Score table

35-One Mustn't fall

more detail in sound

36-Sarah's Song

37-A field for the mag

38-Rock Garden

39-Quest for Peace

40-Composition in Q

41-Beer

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 27, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm... the only Roland I have is Virtual Sound Canvas, but I have to admit Yamaha SW60XG plays Tyrian music really good. However, nothing beats the SGM / Drums! by Slavo sound font combo. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Thanks for looking into it Keropi! 😎

np my friend... it was fun! the MU80 is a great unit but what really holds it back IMHO is the fact that most stuff have had a roland synth as base for their creation. Most of the times everything plays fine on the MU80 but is buried under other sounds and the track loses it's detail IMHO. Some things that sound in the foreground on the SC-55 get demoted to background on the MU80 , other times lose their strength or sound completely off volume-wise... that's the main problem IMHO

edit: I am re-evaluating some tracks with MU80/SC-55/SC-88pro (88pro possible with SC-8820 in 88pro mode) , some tracks are way better with 88pro in terms of more ambience/fx , plain SC-88 mode doesn't make much difference (not that the 88pro is the ultimate device, it can sound very weird , the tracks in question benefit because of their electronic style)

Reply 7 of 27, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently played through Tyrian, and my machine had a RAP-10, an MU10XG and an AWE64 Gold.... I actually preferred the AWE for most tfacks.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

So, objectively, Tyrian's wavetable-based MIDI playback is optimized for the EMU8000 chipset. Can you elaborate on what "sounds really dumb" means, or why the "original AWE32" is specifically mentioned?

I have a few recordings available in this thread for comparison:
Re: AWEstruck...

Reply 9 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ really? they made it for the AWE cards? didn't knew that

Reply 10 of 27, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah the AWE cards sound great on Tyrian. I had the chance to hear the sound track when i had the AWE64 Gold in my system. As a matter of fact i think that even FM synthesis sounds great! As a musician/music lover, this was a great work in my opinion. Some of the stuff is really well composed.

@keropi

You are spot on about what holds back the MU80 and i felt it too, and mostly because like you said, for games GM stuff was mostly Sound Canvas oriented. It's a shame really, because with maybe just a couple of exceptions the Yamaha instruments sound more real to me on the MU80 than on the SC55. For instance i just went on listening on Asteroid Dance Part 1 again and the Roland is too synthy to me and maybe this was the purpose, but the Yamaha instrument set here just seems so much more realistic to me!

Didn't know you had a SC-88Pro capability. Let us know of your findings!

Reply 11 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well , the sc-8820 has 4 modes: native, 88pro, 88 and 55 ...
I've already checked 55 mode, it sounds like the real deal (ofcourse there are differences, different devices after all)
with the help of d1stortion we checked the 88 mode, sounds fine too
for the 88pro I didn't cross-check with anyone, I assume it's fine as well

In 88pro mode some stuff sound bad and some benefit from enhanced fx/polyphony and even better samples ... at this point I treat it like something extra, I wouldn't replace a real SC-55 with it tbh

Reply 12 of 27, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

In 88pro mode some stuff sound bad and some benefit from enhanced fx/polyphony and even better samples ... at this point I treat it like something extra, I wouldn't replace a real SC-55 with it tbh

Yeah that's right, i find a SC-55 is enough. And if some like the Yamaha sound get a MU80/MU50. Of course, if someone can choose to have a MU2000EX it's a great choice since it can do GS and sounds pretty much like a SC-55.

Reply 13 of 27, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
So, objectively, Tyrian's wavetable-based MIDI playback is optimized for the EMU8000 chipset. Can you elaborate on what "sounds […]
Show full quote
DracoNihil wrote:

So, objectively, Tyrian's wavetable-based MIDI playback is optimized for the EMU8000 chipset. Can you elaborate on what "sounds really dumb" means, or why the "original AWE32" is specifically mentioned?

I have a few recordings available in this thread for comparison:
Re: AWEstruck...

I was pretty dumb founded by that (no pun intended) as well. Tyrian sounds fantastic on the AWE cards. Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hj8rmNmbbo

I believe its better than what Roland manages, I'll have to give the Yamaha stuff a try once more to be sure.

Reply 14 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where the heck does it say Tyrian's soundtrack is made for the AWE32? It seriously only makes sense to me that it was made for the OPL2 chip and the GM playback was tacked on for those who didn't have the chip, or who grew accustomed to the sound of the newer synths at the time.

And by dumb I mean how poor the default ROM bank sounds in comparison to CT4MGM.SF2, the reverb also kinda detracts a bit from my tastes. (Can the reverb even be adjusted on the thing?)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Where the heck does it say Tyrian's soundtrack is made for the AWE32? It seriously only makes sense to me that it was made for the OPL2 chip and the GM playback was tacked on for those who didn't have the chip, or who grew accustomed to the sound of the newer synths at the time.

We're discussing "wavetable" playback devices, not FM, and there is a preponderance of evidence to suggest that the AWE32 was used for the "General MIDI" arrangement (including the reverb that you don't seem to care much for).

I'm not sure if this helps with the OPL2/GM question or not, but:

Alexander Brandon wrote:

...Epic's "Tyrian", and I did, in fact use General MIDI for that,
but the instruments were converted by our sound coder. The songs were
originally done with the Adlib Visual Composer, believe it or not.

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret this statement, frankly. 😵

Reply 16 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

don't know if it's just the quality of that AWE video that was posted but is it kind of flat? Sounds ok , just some instruments seem like their samples are low-res or something... and reverb seems just slapped on the sound stream 😕
I am attaching a SC-55 recording and also one from the SC-8820 in 88pro mode for my friend Carlos and whoever wants to hear the differences 😊

I wonder how "Gravis Midi" sounds ...

Attachments

Reply 17 of 27, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome keropi.

Now believe it or not i actually prefer the sc-88pro version. The strings and other instruments sound more realistic/less synthy than on the SC-55. This was the main reason why i chose Yamaha over Roland on this song.

Gravis MIDI is good but actually sounds inferior to AWE in Tyrian. While in a lot of games Gravis might be better than AWE here is definitely not the case.

I wish i could provide some recordings, but the retro and Windows 7 machines are too far apart.

Reply 18 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, 88pro sounds very good but personally I still prefer the 55 on this one because of it's harsh synthy sounds 🤣

Reply 19 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

yeah, 88pro sounds very good but personally I still prefer the 55 on this one because of it's harsh synthy sounds 🤣

That's a good way of putting it...the SC-88 sounds a little more "organic" and realistic, but I still like the retro authenticity of the SC-55.

I don't know if anyone would know off hand, but would the MU50 pretty much sound similar to the MU80? I have an MU50 and wonder if I should be looking for something better than the MU50 for DOS gaming.

According to Wikipedia..."MU50 is the scaled-down version of the first XG module MU80. General MIDI, XG and supplemental voices. Effects included. AD input for guitar or microphone, but effects can NOT be applied to the AD input signal."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MU-series

The MU80 has 16 more parts, 8 less tones than the MU50...does that mean that the MU80 has a wider range of (tones) sounds overall (becasue it has greater polyphony and parts) than the MU50 and therefore has the capability to sound better??