Common searches

AdLib has become oh so rare!!!

Topic actions

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my search for collectible/historic sound cards i have managed to find a few. However, the most wanted for me has been the AdLib. Why? It massified sound for the IBM PC and compatibles. Sure there were other devices available, but what other company managed to get so many game companies to support their sound device? Before AdLib? None.

It's a pretty historic sound device, and one would imagine that even after the Sound Blaster became a better buy, still a lot of AdLib's must have been sold right? Today, it seems that it has become rare. I'm not even going to discuss the AdLib Gold which is a case on its own. But the original AdLib? I would imagine that even today eventually they would be kind of common to find on such places like eBay.

The retro bug seems to be in expansion, so i must guess the AdLib must be quite desirable for collectors, since people that just wanna play retro games won't recommend a AdLib over a first generation Sound Blaster which not only can do AdLib but has added PCM and even optional Game Blaster capability.

Are people holding on to their AdLib cards? Or are they more rare than one would imagine? I have a personal recurring thought that there are so many AdLib's inside computers in garages and storage rooms all around north america. Whenever i see that TV show where garages and storages are auctioned that thought crosses my mind again.

Reply 2 of 69, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had a 1990 AdLib several years back... just sold it for something like 50e IIRC... you don't see many for sale , that's for sure...
I hope you do manage to get one Carlos!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is another issue. Because they are becoming so rare the prices keep escalating. You say that guy from Austria may sell his for 100€. Just the card or complete with box, manual, paperwork?? Clint of Lazy Game Reviews bought a boxed complete one on eBay for 30$ back in 2010.

That is my concern, the AdLib shouldn't be so rare to justify such an high price. Imagine an AdLib Gold...

Reply 4 of 69, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

[...] Imagine an AdLib Gold...

now that's a card I've personally never saw on eBay 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I may try to contact the guy from the Netheralnds. The guy from Austria might be more difficult, no idea who he is.

I still think there are a lot of AdLib cards still, stored in dirty and dusty garages and stuff.

@Keropi

Thanks my friend for the words of encouragement. A boxed AdLib and SB Pro and i'll be pretty much done with boxed stuff. I already have one Game Blaster and first generation Sound Blaster.

Reply 8 of 69, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the balloons box is soooo drooly.... hope you get it too Carlos!!!
boxed stuff demand a premium though... I only hunt for bargains atm 🤣

@vetz:
nothing beats the original for collection purposes.... 😀

Reply 9 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

What about the clone cards? They aren't interesting?

Clone cards might be interesting, but the point is i want the real thing. It's not just about the functionality, but also about the looks and being the real thing, an AdLib by AdLib!

AdLib_-_1987.jpg

AdLib_-_1990.jpg

I find both versions very pretty. I specially like the 1987 version PCB color.

Reply 10 of 69, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read a lot of old computer magazines and the humble Adlib was still being listed for sale up until around '94. I presume that if they were being listed then people were still buying them, so that's a long sales run and there must have been a stack of them out there. But the Adlib was so completely superseded by the soundblaster and it's many clones that I guess a lot of people upgraded and thought "no one will ever want this piece of junk" and tossed it in the bin.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 69, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have an AdLib with the older type of PCB. What's not-so-great about it is that the markings on the FM chip are scraped off, I guess to make it more difficult for competitors to clone.

Reply 12 of 69, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the guy in AT:
http://theodor.lauppert.ws
He has early SBs and Roland as well. But he has/may have sold some already.

I am sure there is stuff in people houses but when you cannot get it that is pretty irrelevant.

Reply 13 of 69, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, Adlib - even I was trying to get one when I was in the mood of collecting retro stuff. I managed to get two LAPC-I cards, bot not a single Adlib.

But then, I consoled myself - it's just the Yamaha chip - and my Sound Blasters have it. And then, once I put it in my PC, I won't be able to look at the card anyway. Only the music and sounds. And if it comes from the Yamaha chip, my Sound Blaster 1.5 might as well be the Adlib.

Of course, Adlib is Adlib. And it's rare. Adlib Gold is super rare.

I've stopped looking for them, though.

12424401584_a852da52ed_o.jpg

😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

the balloons box is soooo drooly.... hope you get it too Carlos!!!

That's the box i've been wishing for, but tell you the truth i'd be happy with the other one as well. Which brings the question, which box style artwork is older? The red and black AdLib Music Synthesizer Card text style or the smack, broom vroom and craashh style?

Our cream filled highness DonutKing and Clint of LGR own AdLibs with the latter style boxes.

02adlib.jpg

PRODPIC-23724-1.jpg

Simply awesome box artwork...

Reply 15 of 69, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Yes, Adlib - even I was trying to get one when I was in the mood of collecting retro stuff. I managed to get two LAPC-I cards, bot not a single Adlib.

I'll be more than happy to trade my Adlib card for one of those LAPCs. 😉

Reply 16 of 69, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can build your own Adlib here : http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-opl2-card

You can tell that the emphasis had changed quite a bit from the old box to the new one. The old box just has a big note, the new box shows games and sound effects and a bit of music thrown in and specifically advertises its gaming usage.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 69, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I don't see the big fuss about Adlib, and not sure why they're "rare" either. In the past I turned down dozens of Adlibs that were practically being given away. I guess it wasn't a very smart thing to do seeing as suckers are now paying $100 for them.

Next to the SBs, the Adlib must have been one of the most produced soundcards of all time. Perhaps they're rare because everyone threw them away, but the same is true for just about any other vintage PC item. Maybe if it came in a shrinkwrapped box $100 would be reasonable. Now the Adlib Gold, that is a totally different story...

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 69, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AdLib is a pretty historic card, whether people like it or not. I'll say it again, it's not about the functionality, we know the story of how much superior the Sound Blaster is and it basically offered so much more than AdLib did. But it is a landmark in computer history! What's wrong about that?

It's collectable and it is something i would like to preserve. And this is not about AdLib clones, is about AdLib by AdLib and how and why it has become so rare. A few people here made good points, like maybe a lot were thrown away and people not caring about them anymore.

That being said: Maybe some people back in the 80's threw their Apple I motherboards away, or gave it for nothing because they were useless, and you had to be building your own PSU and keyboard. The damn thing is useless but is pretty historic. And suckers paid beyond 100.000€ in public auctions.

Why the heck are we building retro systems anyway? We have DOSBox. Even though AdLib functionality is limited compared to Sound Blaster it has earned a place in computing history and in my opinion it deserves being preserved and not thrown away.