VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that is one of the things I miss most about the old days, getting the new Computer Shopper every month and just pouring over that thing after I got out of my after school job.

I'm not sure if there was a big overseas distribution, but in the US you could generally find it anywhere that had a decent news stand. It was about the size of an old Sears Catalog and chock full of good articles (and of course the ads for gear).

I forget which forum member it is, but I recognized his/her avatar as being from Drive Outlet Center. That definitely took me back, I know I bought at least one HD from them.

Reply 2 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have one of the "giant format" issues; I kept it for nostalgic reasons 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

I still have one of the "giant format" issues; I kept it for nostalgic reasons 😀

So do I. I have the one with the Atari Mega ST and SLM804 Laser printer on the cover because I was big into Atari at that time.

Reply 4 of 7, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to happen sooner or later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-Shopper-Maga … =item2ecede932f

In a fit of madness, I might consider $15 to take a trip down memory lane, but DAMN that shipping is nuts. I think I will not worry about it.
Is it just me, or did the business/management weenies ruin computers? It used to be you could find all kinds of programming and hardware articles in Byte, then it got to be nothing but Windows and MS Office crap. Computer Shopper had its fair share of that too, but it was more or less always that way. It got worse when it went to the small format, though.

Reply 5 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CS was great for the advertisements before we have the internet to look things up. I subscribed to the CS when it was a phonebook but tossed them all a few years later (they take up so much space). I used to mail order parts all the time using mail order catalogs pre internet.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 7, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I totally miss my CS magazines (Phonebooks)...it was my favoraite computer publications. For a while, they only cost about 99 cents (most likely becasue it was packed with advertisements). CS is what really got me into computers in the first place. It was my primary source of information for PC's and I spent so much time drooling over Gateway and Micron systems in the glossy ad inserts.

Compudyne, Zeos and Zenith Data Systems were some systems I drooled over as well.

It wasn't all just ads though. I really liked the simple but detailed articles too.

It was the only magazine I religiously purchased from the newstand every two weeks (or was it monthly? I can't remember). I regret recycling all of my back issues about 10 years ago...I had so many issues which adorned a shelf that wrapped all around my parent's garage.

I wish I had every issue back. Even though many trees were sacrificed for my enjoyment, it was well worth it. I really do truly miss CS. Great topic snorg!!!

Reply 7 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

CS was great for the advertisements before we have the internet to look things up. I subscribed to the CS when it was a phonebook but tossed them all a few years later (they take up so much space). I used to mail order parts all the time using mail order catalogs pre internet.

I used to flip past the articles and went right to the red pages in the back that had all the liquidations. I can still remember, they had the normal advertising in the back but there was always one section that had red borders around the pages and that was where all the really good deals were to be found.