Common searches

Story behind your avatar?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 252, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My avatar changes on a whim. Usually after I get in an argument with somebody, I start to resent my avatar, because I don't like confrontations, and I end up mentally associating the avatar with the argument.

At the moment, it's the evil scientist from the intro cutscene of Sam & Max Hit The Road, for no particular reason.

"Er, shall I confront, subdue, and pummel the suspected perpetrator, Sam?"
"Sic 'em up, little buddy."

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 61 of 252, by The Serpant Rider

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason why I set this Harley pic as my avarta is because I'm a motorcycle lover (especially Ducatti, Harley Davidson, BMW) and it is one of my dream bike 🤣. Besides, tuning the bikes such as LED lightings is absolute factor that makes an person and bike into the true epic badass as customizing awesome high-end PCs 🤣.

Note: It might be late reply in this post?!?!?!?!?! 😲

ОСЕНЬЮ

Когда сквозная паутина
Разносит нити ясных дней
И под окном у селянина
Далекий благовест слышней,

Мы не грустим, пугаясь снова
Дыханья близкого зимы,
А голос лета прожитого
Яснее понимаем мы.

Афанасий Фет, 1870

Reply 62 of 252, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My avatar is the speech bubble of Sherlock Holmes from the Electronic Arts adventure game "The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Serrated Scapel" I love the game and I am a fan of the original stories, and I thought it fit quite well. I recently updated it with Animation!

All my Avatars on other forums are also from DOS games, Jill from Jill of the Jungle, SHODAN from System Shock, Leisure Suit Larry from LSL6, and Digger from Digger (technically a PC Booter).

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 63 of 252, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my Avatar is just of a character called Edge, the protagonist in Panzer Dragoon Saga which is probably my favorite game on the Saturn.

the art style in that game is quite something, I liked the look of it and used it for my avatar (I also use it as my general avatar on other sites, as well as things like Skype and such)

Reply 64 of 252, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Darkman wrote:

my Avatar is just of a character called Edge, the protagonist in Panzer Dragoon Saga which is probably my favorite game on the Saturn.

the art style in that game is quite something, I liked the look of it and used it for my avatar (I also use it as my general avatar on other sites, as well as things like Skype and such)

I'm surprised it's not, er, Darkman.

Darkman12.jpg

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 66 of 252, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My avatar and my nickname go hand in hand.

The nickname I got after playing Half-Life... before that it was just Saint 😀 I asked a friend of mine to do the drawing and I think it came out rather nice.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 67 of 252, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine's just a silly, cartoonish, CGA self-portrait. I'm told that it does look like me... though I should note that I don't really have that sexy 2-bits-per-pixel skin-tone IRL.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 68 of 252, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Avatar was chosen because....well it was the first game that BLEW me away when running on a 486-based system at Best Buy. At the time I had my parents' lowly Packard Bell 386SX-16Mhz system that couldn't even come close to running it. This game was the catalyst for me purchasing my OWN first computer - my beloved full-tower Gateway 2000 P5-75 beast. More importantly, it's what launched my obsession with computers from a hobbyist and professional perspective. And VOGONs is the reason I'm obsessed...again. 😀

As for my handle...Can anyone guess? (HINT: It's related to the picture in my sig.)

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 69 of 252, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
My avatar changes on a whim. Usually after I get in an argument with somebody, I start to resent my avatar, because I don't like […]
Show full quote

My avatar changes on a whim. Usually after I get in an argument with somebody, I start to resent my avatar, because I don't like confrontations, and I end up mentally associating the avatar with the argument.

At the moment, it's the evil scientist from the intro cutscene of Sam & Max Hit The Road, for no particular reason.

"Er, shall I confront, subdue, and pummel the suspected perpetrator, Sam?"
"Sic 'em up, little buddy."

" YOU NEVER GAVE ME A CHANCE. AND FOR THAT... YOU'LL FRY LIKE A PORK SAUSAGE!" 🤣

Reply 70 of 252, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

As for my handle...Can anyone guess? (HINT: It's related to the picture in my sig.)

Artex is the horse from Never Ending Story. I remembered the scene in the picture. I remember most of that movie vividly, have seen it many times growing up. I would have killed for a Pentium 75 for DOOM back then, we didn't get our first Pentium, a 133, until January 1997.

Reply 71 of 252, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiremaster400 wrote:
Artex wrote:

Artex is the horse from Never Ending Story. I remembered the scene in the picture. I remember most of that movie vividly, have seen it many times growing up. I would have killed for a Pentium 75 for DOOM back then, we didn't get our first Pentium, a 133, until January 1997.

Ding ding ding! CORRECT!!!! Was (and is) still my favorite movie from my childhood. The soundtrack still gives me chills it's so moving! Yeah, moving from that 386, skipping over the 486 generation, and moving to the second generation Pentium was giant leap!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 72 of 252, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't that horse die quite disturbingly? 😐

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 73 of 252, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yes, disturbing enough for a child to watch.. 🙁 He sank in the swamps of sadness.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 74 of 252, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yes, disturbing enough for a child to watch.. 🙁 He sank in the swamps of sadness.

Weird, I thought it was named Artax, not Artex.

There's some interesting stories floating around about the filming of that scene...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 75 of 252, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
Artex wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Weird, I thought it was named Artax, not Artex.

There's some interesting stories floating around about the filming of that scene...

It is in the book (so I found out later)... To me (as a kid) it always sounded like "Artex" but I never changed my handle after finding out the spelling years later.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 76 of 252, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love Roguelikes, particularly older ones as they are more simplistic. (I run http://www.coredumpcentral.org, the biggest Rogue site 😀

For the longest time I used an Angband screenshot for an avatar, but upon reading this thread today I was inspired to change it to Castle of the Winds, the first Roguelike game I played at about age 10. I didn't know what a Roguelike was at the time, as Internet hadn't come to our part of the woods yet.

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 77 of 252, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
redblade7 wrote:

I love Roguelikes, particularly older ones as they are more simplistic. (I run http://www.coredumpcentral.org, the biggest Rogue site 😀

For the longest time I used an Angband screenshot for an avatar, but upon reading this thread today I was inspired to change it to Castle of the Winds, the first Roguelike game I played at about age 10. I didn't know what a Roguelike was at the time, as Internet hadn't come to our part of the woods yet.

OMG - TOTALLY forgot about Castle of the Winds. Played that game like crazy!!!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 79 of 252, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was just trying to be a smart ass, but somehow you managed it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium