Story behind your avatar?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 252, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-07-04, 15:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 21 of 252, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is some dragon image I found off of the various image boards I frequent, recoloured it to my colours and significantly reduced it's overall quality because I like severely posterized images.

And of course I'm a dragon, who would of thought?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 22 of 252, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An artfully-presented snippet of entirely useless LabVIEW code (the equivalent of IF FALSE, RETURN FALSE; ELSE, RETURN TRUE).

LabVIEW is cool.
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Labview-Spaghetti.aspx

Reply 24 of 252, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

8.gif

My avatar photo dates from the early days of this forum. The number one or number two Google Image search result for "Vogon" at the time was the logo for this British corporation at http://www.vogon.co.uk (http://www.vogon-investigation.com/company_profile.htm ) so I swiped it and started using it. Accordingly, I only use it here. Prior to this one, back in the day, admins and moderators had these illustrated "Vogons" (from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy) as their default avatars. 😀 My only reason for adding an avatar photo was that these Vogon illustrations became unfashionable amongst moderators (or were they taken away? I forget.) I honestly don't use an avatar photo anywhere else online.

The name is more of a storied thing, dating all the way back to 1993-1994. It was the last name of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game (like a Star Wars Dungeons & Dragons) character I created for SWRA and various clubs in the Gaming/Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of PRODIGY, my first online service. (He was a jack-of-all-trades warrior known for expertise with all types of swords, knives and daggers. A stiletto is one kind of these, hence the name. A bit archaic when players wielded plasma swords and blasters!) I then resurrected the name and character in 1997-2000 for a tour through various Star Wars roleplaying web chatrooms on the Internet. While I got out of the hobby of roleplaying gaming on bulletin boards and chatrooms - I got much more involved with emulation research and development and involved with many more open source emulation projects around 1998-1999. And I decided to keep the screenname. It just made sense at the time - for someone like me, who would pop up out of the blue with "incisive" research helpful to an emulation project - to be named after something that could pop up out of the blue and stab you in the back. It was a l33t h@x0r name. 😉 Sadly, it has led to several people over the years assuming that I was female or had a shoe fetish of some kind 😁

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-16, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 252, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excuse my ignorance but was the site named Vogons after the hitchhiker's race, or is it an acronym of Very Old Games On New Systems? Which one is the coincidence?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 27 of 252, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but was the site named Vogons after the hitchhiker's race, or is it an acronym of Very Old Games On New Systems? Which one is the coincidence?

It's not coincidence, it's intentional. Because we were/are nerds. 😀

Here's my first post ever here in 2002! (so glad to be able to say that, so many times forums purge...) and this is literally when and where it happened.
When I registered and logged in that day, it was called "OGONS - Old Games on New Systems".
So I suggested to Snover to add a "V" (we'd come up with something to stand for it) and Snover went about theming the forum HG2G-style.
Just letting you know I'm here now...

Here's my full explanation several months ago.
Re: Vogons: confusing sub-forums

I wish I could find the thread on Bravenet's VDMSound forum, archived in the Internet Archive, where we hit upon the idea of taking our party elsewhere. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 252, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@stilet
I got it! You like Mary Sanders and the Spanish number for two....it all makes sense now....

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 32 of 252, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like happy avatars, and cats , and pixels, and happy pixel cats 😀
Its Nicole from The Amazing World of Gumball.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 34 of 252, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
@Stiletto Thanks, I've been wondering about this site's history for a while. […]
Show full quote

@Stiletto
Thanks, I've been wondering about this site's history for a while.

@sliderider
It isn't.

Well it should be. This is a vintage gaming site revolving mainly around DOS games. It's not that difficult to work out.

Reply 35 of 252, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well my avatar will probably give the idea that i am an AMD fan of some sort, specially because previously i used an AMD 386DX-40 pic. Well i couldn't care less about AMD or Intel, i also think it's quite silly being a "fan" of Fortune 500 company or something like that. I just put pics of CPU's that i quite like and served me well. AMD because it's what i used at the time, and they were cheaper and served me well.

I should really change my avatar for something that really reflects my personality and one of my greatest loves in life, besides retro computing. Music.

EDIT: There. No band is more appealling to me than Dream Theater. Seriously, listening to their music makes me really feel satisfied and complete. Maybe because i'm a musician as well, but it's what works for me.

Reply 36 of 252, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think mine is a CPU.
Now I have to understand what a CPU is.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 37 of 252, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is Pablo Martinez from Powerslide. From his character bio: "Now a grotesque, disfigured loner, shunned by corporate society, he is bitter and angry with the universe." Most of the time, I feel as miserable as he looks so it is a fitting image.

My handle is from my obsession with spinning tires and sliding sideways in anything I drive in real life or games. I used to work at a major tire chain during my college years and I would sneak home the used tires and burn them off the back of my 1972 Ford LTD 6.6 liter V-8 that was jacked up inspired by Powerslide. I still have the car but it sits rotting away, needing major repairs while real life gets in the way.

Reply 38 of 252, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I also forgot to explain my signature, it's just a little thought that popped into my head while playing doom, I had another one for only a few months when I first joined but I can't member what it was. Mods, do you remember? 🤣 You know how people say Left for Dead is preparation for the apocalypse, well same sorta thought, silly but cool.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.