Common searches

What does this dream mean?

Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So if you fall asleep after working on your computers and you have a dream/nightmare that you went back into your office and caught your retro systems fucking like the typewriters in Cronenberg's "Naked Lunch", and then they start spawning expansion boards that start chasing you...does that mean you need to lay off the retro stuff for a while?

Reply 1 of 54, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I had 2 hours night sleep and, as a result, fell asleep next evening watching Shakespear's Richard the Third in the cinema with my girlfriend, I fell asleep and wispered "Intel went with 440FX as their first chip set for PII. They should not have left Socket 7, 430 TX and HX were way more advanced, you know" and then "I wish I had a gold-plated pentium".

In some way, you're not alone.

Reply 3 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dreams are always strange. I had a particularly strange and gory dream last night but I suppose it's just something that's on your mind somehow?
At any rate, looks like your retro hardware has at least gotten your attention. If that's a good or a bad thing? That really is up to you to interpret 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 54, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am guessing that yes..it does mean that you should lay off retrocomputing for a while, but I wouldn't...just embrace the strange dreams that go with it.🤣

Plus, I am guessing that if you're like me, its hard to stay away from the retro stuff anyways and you'll just suffer through having the weird dreams cuz it's worth it.

Reply 5 of 54, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

So if you fall asleep after working on your computers and you have a dream/nightmare that you went back into your office and caught your retro systems fucking like the typewriters in Cronenberg's "Naked Lunch", and then they start spawning expansion boards that start chasing you...does that mean you need to lay off the retro stuff for a while?

Yes.Box up all your retro computing gear and send it to me and the bad dreams will go away.I promise. 🤣

Reply 6 of 54, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

Were any of the expansion boards rare cards like the AdLib Gold or Roland LAPC-I? If i had my retro systems fucking i would at least try to breed rare cards.

Wait what the fuck i am saying? 🤣 😵

Reply 7 of 54, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*cracks knuckles* One of my talents, believe it or not, is dream interpretation. I'm not even kidding. ;)

So, let's start with the basics, Snorg. Dreams about sex in any manner are often triggered by one of three things: Your body shifting position while asleep, hormonal changes, or random thoughts crossing your mind.

In the first case, the dream will often be meaningless and will simply be a reflection of the things you were subconsciously thinking of when your body changed positions and triggered the dream. The brain tried its hardest to fill the void of interpretations and just pulled stuff from the top of your mind that somehow made sense. Given that those things were all retro systems, about the only meaning you could pull under these circumstances is that you've got retro systems on your mind and haven't had much of a chance to think about other things.

In the case of hormonal changes, most of the rules of the first case apply and the dream is likely meaningless. However, those changes in and of themselves could be a result of any number of physical factors, but the dream doesn't seem like it's imparted any information that would make it easy to figure out what.

In the final case of random thoughts, this is when the dream is going to potentially have some meaning. Under these circumstances, my conclusion is that the dream is telling you that whatever your current or next retro project idea is, it's probably going to overwhelm you. Here's how I came to this conclusion:

To see others having sex in a dream symbolizes some form of desire and completion. Since the things having sex are retro devices, and since to you, retro devices are one of your favourite and most important things (this is an assumption), it stands to reason the dream is relating to said interests.

Then they give birth to expansion boards, specifically suggesting newness. Combined with the first symbology, this suggests a new idea related to your interests.

But then they swarm you, suggesting that whatever this idea is, it's going to potentially overwhelm you.

Now, this isn't necessarily a BAD thing, since maybe you want to be overwhelmed. After all, your mind chose sex as the best way to convey this line of thought.

So, if the dream was indeed triggered by your mind and not by your body, that's the most likely meaning behind it. Otherwise, it was just something extremely random and means nothing. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 54, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:

your retro systems fucking like the typewriters in Cronenberg's "Naked Lunch", and then they start spawning expansion boards that start chasing you...does that mean you need to lay off the retro stuff for a while?

That's normal. In real life you chase expansion boards, in your dreams they chase you.

Imagine an expansion board that yells wildly upon noticing you:

"01010100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010011 01101110 01101111 01110010 01100111 00100000 01000111 01101111 01101100 01100100 00100000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110000 00100001 00100000 01001001 00100111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101110 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101000 01101001 01101101 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01100110 01101001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01111001 01100101 01100001 01110010 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100001 01100100 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110010 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110111 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100011 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100001" *

* This is Snorg Gold 1000! I've been hunting him for five years to add to my rare humanware collection!

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 10 of 54, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is awesome! 🤣

I had a similar dream a couple of nights ago. I dreamed about a new store opening up that dealt in retro computers. In my dream I think I saw a Pentium 100 machine in the store and they even accepted trade-ins, so I went home thinking what kind of hardware I could give them to get something like an MT-32!

I've had other similar dreams too, breaking into stores and stealing their big boxed PC games. This stems from that one store I used to visit as a kid that had an awesome display of PC titles, with a lot of them being in Big Boxed format. It closed down in just a few years, so I never got to buy a lot of stuff from them.
Kris' dream interpretation skills are not to be messed with hahahaha

Reply 11 of 54, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I'm going to with it's something I've been obsessing over lately
and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the parts I have laying around in my office.
Why my mind chose to wrap that in a scene from a movie I haven't seen since
1989 I will never know. It was odd, too, kind of a cross with horror and comedy.
It was very like a cheesy sketch from Monty Python or The Young Ones. I almost
Expected Vivian to round the corner and hand me a cricket bat to deal with the
infestation. Whatever happened to those guys? I think one of them married one
of the women on AbFab, but not sure (yes I like my britcoms and probably watch
a bit more than is good for me).

Reply 12 of 54, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I worked at a multi-national bank in a high rise tower about 6 years ago. On a daily basis I had to go into the "Lower Levels" of the building where they keep all the old shit. The retro bug had not bit me then. I tell you my friends, the things I saw would make you all cry. Rooms full of CRTs. My co-worker and I use to fling CRTs by their power cords and see who could throw farthest. Rooms full of all level of vintage computers. Shit I had never seen. Everyday we had to load pallets with CRTs and old desktops for recycling. I have seen the promise land, and it is good.

Reply 13 of 54, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rodimus80 wrote:

I worked at a multi-national bank in a high rise tower about 6 years ago. On a daily basis I had to go into the "Lower Levels" of the building where they keep all the old shit. The retro bug had not bit me then. I tell you my friends, the things I saw would make you all cry. Rooms full of CRTs. My co-worker and I use to fling CRTs by their power cords and see who could throw farthest. Rooms full of all level of vintage computers. Shit I had never seen. Everyday we had to load pallets with CRTs and old desktops for recycling. I have seen the promise land, and it is good.

🤣 I love that scenario...you have lived the dream for sure, but I wish that 'promise land' still existed though...I'm sure every single bit of retro computer goodness that was in that building is long gone...recycled into metal to make iPod headphones and fake chrome dvd players to sell at WalMart 😒

Reply 15 of 54, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting thread, I don't dream much about hardware but a few years back got a strange dream of Rio being flooded (tsunami) that seamed to reach into the mountains and hills in the area. Didn't bother to much then a few months later Japan happened, had the dream Jan of 2011.

Once had a dream about a lot of old servers and workstations that were dumped out in a field near a old high school 🤣.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 54, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

One of my talents, believe it or not, is dream interpretation. I'm not even kidding. 😉

Can I pay you to interpret my dreams?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 54, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

One of my talents, believe it or not, is dream interpretation. I'm not even kidding. ;)

Can I pay you to interpret my dreams?

Part of the reason I stopped interpreting dreams on a regular basis back around 2001 is because it's very mentally taxing and I found myself really scatterbrained from doing it so often, so I only do it once in awhile now when I feel like it. :P

Plus, I gotta be honest: Snorg's dream was really simple. Sometimes dreams can be a LOT more complicated and thus more difficult to figure out, or sometimes even the simple ones can be tricky. Plus, symbolism changes when a person attaches special meaning to something. If Snorg wasn't into retro stuff, his dream would have an ENTIRELY different meaning altogether. :o

For example: My favourite animals are foxes, yet for the average person who doesn't attach special meaning to that animal, foxes are typically NOT a good thing to see in your dreams. To that end, seeing or interacting with foxes in my dreams has an entirely different symbology and is more often than not a GOOD thing for me.

It's easier to interpret someone's dream when you understand that person. Snorg's dream was straightforward but when I interpret someone's dream I often have to ask them follow-up questions to figure out if they have any special attachments to the things seen or to see if they can remember seemingly insignificant details which could change the entire outcome.

And then, when all is said and done, "sometimes a dream, is just a dream". :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 18 of 54, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well my dreams, atleast the one's I've been having now... In short I'm basically trapped in a monochrome (I think it's monochrome because it is incredibly dark so my eyes cannot see colour but they can still see the world around me) version of either my mate's apartment or my family's neighbourhood.

I literally mean trapped... If I'm inside of a building there is absolutely nothing I can do to escape, I can't picture myself outside of the building (which normally would of made me appear wherever I think), the windows and walls are impenetrable no matter how much I bash, kick, claw, headbutt and what not, NOTHING damages the GLASS WINDOWS or walls. Though I can look at myself with my own head, there are absolutely no reflections or mirrors of any sort... Any mirror just appears as a completely opaque surface that seems to absorb light rather than reflect it. Reflections you would expect to see at bodies of water at a angle do not exist, neither does the reflection off of clean glass. So I cannot see my own reflection.

It is also mostly silent save for some screaming I occasionally hear which always appears to originate from behind me. It sounds like if you were to have headphones on and a sound originates from behind you in OpenAL with Creative CMSS active.

I never used to have these dreams, the earliest ones I remember were being in a quite normal plains like field albeit I was still completely alone. It was in colour unlike these dreams, the sound and feeling was also quite normal as well. I'm still trying to figure out what the screaming even is or what the screaming person wants from me. You can imagine my frustration having to deal with this every night, even during the day too.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 19 of 54, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, without knowing more specifics, it seems like the dream is warning you that someone you know may be suffering in some way, possibly unknowingly, but that there's nothing you can do to help them. It may also be referring to some aspect of yourself which is suffering because you have no idea how to recover it. Those are the most obvious interpretations but this is one of those situations where you really need to have more information at the ready.

Trying to identify who may be screaming based on their voice may help. Knowing your emotions during these dreams can also help, like if you're frustrated, peaceful, worried, etc., because the meaning of these dreams could be different depending on those aspects. Paying attention to colours and physical sensations is important too.

Since this is a recurring dream, the meaning behind it will be far more powerful than any typical dream, plus in order to ensure an accurate interpretation you need to keep a dream diary of each one and make sure you identify every little thing which is different between each dream, since this will help identify common themes and changing circumstances, which can produce a more accurate interpretation. As it stands though, this is the best I can suggest. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)