VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a spin-off of another thread, Where do you get your PCs?.

I'm also curious about the best way to "shop" for retro gear. Individual parts are easy enough to find on eBay, but whole systems are trickier. Most of my systems were given to me by friends or acquaintances. I spend a fair bit of time cruising the local Craigslist postings, but have yet to find anything good this way.

However, I've often wondered if I could use Craigslist to "ask" for old machines - hence the title of this thread. So far I haven't been brave enough to try this, as I imagine it could turn into a real mess in a hurry. (I expect that people would try to offload lots of worthless junk onto me, while desirable, enthusiast-grade stuff would remain elusive.)

Does anyone have any experience with this approach?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I tried that a couple of years ago on the local Gumtree and got a few responces. I think it's just the nature of Gumtree but expect some wierdos, and yes they want to dump printers and all sorts of rubbish on you, all the while telling you involved stories about their cats, or worse still... their dreams 🤣

I let the ad expire and didn't go back for more, but I did get a few things that were interesting out of.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience is that you get three types of responses:

1. People who want to sell you stuff that is out of scope (old phones, TVs, radios, etc, etc)
2. People who think their 5 year old computer is "vintage"
3. People who wants 50 dollars for a Geforce 2MX

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In The Netherlands I've placed a few wanted advertisements on a website that deals specifically with anything related to hardware and I did get a few responses and ended up with a couple nice cards...but I didn't really always get what I had hoped for. That was a couple years ago.

I was actually contemplating putting up a few adds again but the problem is that these days on that specific site, people are now aware that certain old hardware is more wanted then most of the other old "crap" (people asking €50 for 2 matched voodoo 2's and €50 for a good ASUS s478 board). They often don't get sold though. Theres still hope though, many parts can still be gotten cheap. We know what I could mean but obviously I'm not telling because I have this paranoid thought that these sellers are watching us... 🤣!

I think the trick is to make sure you're already well stocked before something starts getting more rare and more known 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 13, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is quite simple and my new route, which I have no evidence will work, I think will lead to huge results. My wife works with this 27 year old woman who is a drop dead gorgeous blonde. This woman hangs out with NFL and NHL players here in my hometown. Very well liked and a huge Facebook following. I'm having my wife, who is good friends with her, ask her to put on her Facebook page that she has a friend who is looking for old computers. Before 2000. Working or not. My theory is that the retarded men who are obsessed with her will find this stuff and give it to her just to have a reason to talk to her. I think it's genius.

Reply 6 of 13, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried a few times but never got anything out of it. The people that have relevant systems / parts look on eBay and then ask $100s. So that went nowhere. 😀 The other challenge is geography and the cost of transportation where I live. I have had better luck with free pick up items and some ads. Got a Tandy Sensation, CRTs and 100s of diskettes for free that way. 😀 And an IBM PS/2 and NEC PowerMate really cheap as well. If I were into Amiga, Apple, Commodore,TSR and so on it would be even easier to buy lots of stuff cheap but I am only interested in PCs.

Reply 7 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't use the word 'vintage'. Once you start using that, people get the idea that their old computers are worth more than they really are and they start wanting ridiculous amounts of money for them. "Old", "obsolete", "junk" or "scrap" would be better.

Reply 8 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rodimus80 wrote:

My theory is that the retarded men who are obsessed with her will find this stuff and give it to her just to have a reason to talk to her. I think it's genius.

You're gonna be raking them in! 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 13, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rodimus80 wrote:

This is quite simple and my new route, which I have no evidence will work, I think will lead to huge results. My wife works with this 27 year old woman who is a drop dead gorgeous blonde. This woman hangs out with NFL and NHL players here in my hometown. Very well liked and a huge Facebook following. I'm having my wife, who is good friends with her, ask her to put on her Facebook page that she has a friend who is looking for old computers. Before 2000. Working or not. My theory is that the retarded men who are obsessed with her will find this stuff and give it to her just to have a reason to talk to her. I think it's genius.

Haha...great idea, but to tell you the truth, a girl doesn't need to be that hot to get guys to respond to something like that...actually, just having an average looking girl do that will probably work better, because guys will think they may have an even better chance of scoring 🤣

Reply 10 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
rodimus80 wrote:

My theory is that the retarded men who are obsessed with her will find this stuff and give it to her just to have a reason to talk to her. I think it's genius.

You're gonna be raking them in! 🤣

I would reckon that most geeky types would be too awkward to talk to a girl who looks like she should be waiting tables at Hooters. This could turn out to be a very bad idea.

Reply 11 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today I got someone's old "junk" which he gave to me for free (or better said, as exchange for my advice). I helped him, he helped me and next week he's probably gonna give me the rest of his stuff. I already wrote in the "What retro hardware did you get?" thread about what I exactly got today.
Just having a friendly chat with someone may result in you getting stuff for free. I seen this happen multiple times during my dumpsterdivingdays also.
I used to have an acquaintance who I bought something from and we got into a chat together. At some point (after telling him it was my hobby/passion) he invited me over to his place and I would be allowed to dig through his old junk, first I bought a couple items and later (as the chat got more and more friendly) he gave some of his very-hard-to-sell stuff for free (like old Radeons and I think there was even a 3dfx card amongst the stuff).

It's a shame I lost contact with him, it would've been a steady supply of parts. But then again, I can't take everybody's stuff home with me or it will consume me. Right now I already need to take more stuff up into the attic (thank god for the attic! 😁 )because my house will again be swarmed with parts again 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 13, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I lived in Pittsburgh I posted a want add on free cycle and got a ton of complete vintage systems for free, appleIIgs, apple IIC, AT&T PC clone, C64 bunch of other stuff. Moved to Phoenix which is a way bigger city and made the same post several times and 0, not a single bite.

Reply 13 of 13, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AZ is a lot newer than PA. I find PA has lots more on offer when it comes to collectibles in general than AZ. The SW generally also has a lot more turn over in real estate than the NE. Very different ways of life. 😀