VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, this thread is to share opinion whether a particular game is worth getting or not. Some games is already obvious, like Strike Commander or Sid Meier's Pirates, but there are games that are pretty vague like D.R.A.G.O.N Force, MiG-29, or F-16 Combat Pilot; games whose reviews are pretty rare to find on the net. The purpose of this thread is to discuss about such things.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, let me start with Lightspeed and Hyperspeed from Microprose: are the titles worth getting? And how much are you willing to spend on them? What's your opinion?

51Tf3k3d%2BmL._SY300_.jpg
Lightspeed.

41K74PS2GNL.jpg
Hyperspeed.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gunmetal is worth getting simply because it is by far the best looking MS-DOS game I've ever played, the story might seem a bit odd but the environments in the game really are pretty impressive given how the engine is between Quake and Unreal in terms of overall technology.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 6, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I typically never spend $ on games to be honest. 😀 They magically appear on my HDD. I buy OS' occasionally but do not like to spend >$15. I am on a very tight budget (except for Roland of course). 😊

Reply 4 of 6, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been acquiring as many big box PC games as I could get my hands on in the last 3 years. I have built up quite a collection. the only prerequisite for me is that the game has the original box in decent condition and the original disc. I usually would prefer to have it complete with original disc case, booklets and brochures, but I sometimes find those items separate without the box, so it is always a priority to get the box first for me. I usually am willing to spend up to $10 on a boxed game in decent condition and up to about $5 for a 'not so good game'. If it is a near mint Sierra game or Lucasarts game, I could sometimes go up to $20 or even $40, but I have rarely ever paid that much for a single game.

Most of the time, I try to get a package deal and have done quite well in that department, raking in dozens of games for very low prices sometimes.

For games like Kings Quest I II III IV and other similar Sierra games in the original box with all manuals, I would pay up to $15

Flight simulator games with all original big manuals and keyboard overlays included is what I would consider spending the most on. I paid $40 for a copy of Falcon 4.0 with all the manuals and maps and the original binder and original CD. I think that was one of the most expensive purchases I made for a pc game. It was more than worth it and I would do it again for Falcon Gold with the original VHS tape includes (Art of the Kill)...I may even be willing to spend up to $60 if everything is mint for games like these.

For all Lucasarts games that are more common, I usually buy them even if I own them already if they are a good deal. For example, I have 3 boxed copies of XWing collectors CD edition because I bought them so cheap. Other more rare Lucasarts stuff like Indiana Jones, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, etc...are very difficult for me to find and I think I may have to bite the bullet one day soon and just splurge to get them to complete my collection. I see those games going for over $60-$100 on eBay (including the shipping to where I am)...I have a feeling you lucky ones in the US can buy this sort of stuff for much cheaper...I am jealous. I was lucky recently in that I got a copy of Sam & Max Hit the Road for only $5 in the original box with all manuals and documentation. I do find stuff and I actually have some gems in my collection, but I tend to find things in lots and it is over a LONG period of time it seems and it takes A LOT of looking on craigslist and other online classifieds.

Reply 5 of 6, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just want the discs. I took all my games and packed away the Jewel cases. Threw the boxes out long ago. I wasted too much time, money, and space on that garbage. Just give me a few Disc Binders. This way if the house is on fire, I can easily get all the games out. Meanwhile the wife and kids will be grabbing my 486, Pentium, Pentium II, and Pentium III Desktops. Not sure about the AthlonXP though... 🤣

Reply 6 of 6, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rodimus80 wrote:

I just want the discs. I took all my games and packed away the Jewel cases. Threw the boxes out long ago.

😢 Awww man, rodimus80...I really hate to hear that...oh well, I guess it just makes the boxed games I have just a little bit more rare 🤣

rodimus80 wrote:

I wasted too much time, money, and space on that garbage. Just give me a few Disc Binders. This way if the house is on fire, I can easily get all the games out. Meanwhile the wife and kids will be grabbing my 486, Pentium, Pentium II, and Pentium III Desktops. Not sure about the AthlonXP though... 🤣

Hahaha...that is a good reason for sure to put everything in binders, and a good reason to have more kids too (the more you have, the more retro computer you can save 🤣)

I actually do have a lot of discs in binders as well, but it's really important sometimes I find to at least have the original manual for some games...the box, of course is not important, but it makes the game worth more and nicer to have on the shelf.

I would have bought every last box from you...the box to me is almost always worth more than the disc...the discs are easy to find, but the original boxes are much harder.