VOGONS

Common searches

Movies 80's and 90's and Computers

Topic actions

First post, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I'm watching movies in wich computers take a big part of the story.
So far I've watched The Net with Sandra Bullock, Wargames with Matthew Broderick and You've got Mail with Tom Hanks.
Please recomend others, thank you 😀

Reply 4 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In no particular order:
Hackers, Tomorrow Never Dies, Johnny Mnemonic, Wing Commander, Demolition Man, The Matrix (you said 1990s and computers...), The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Weird Science, Short Circuit (has sequels), Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter, Galaxy Quest, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, Bicentennial Man, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Tron (you said 1980s and computers...); that's all I can think of right now...

Reply 6 of 32, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tons of good recommendations already. I can't think of any off the top of my head which haven't already been mentioned. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slept on it, looked through my DVD tower, etc, came up with part 2 (some are 1970s or 2000s - I didn't feel like separating them out by decade though; the majority are 1980s or 1990s though):

Jurassic Park, The Terminator, Terminator 2, Mission: Impossible, Small Soldiers, The Jackal, Office Space, Titan A.E., The Iron Giant, Under Siege 2, Masterminds, A View to A Kill, Armageddon, Frequency, Deep Impact, The Arrival, Universal Soldier, Soldier (distinct from Universal Soldier), Barb Wire, The Associate, Battle Beyond The Stars, Flubber (the remake), Dune, Inspector Gadget, The Avengers, The Rock, Entrapment, Get Carter,

If you let me cheat and add some movies from the 1970s and early 2000s I'd also add:
Boiler Room, Evolution, Panic Room, Flightplan, The Core, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, I Robot, The Italian Job, The Black Hole, Swordfish, Robots, Terminator 3, and the Matrix sequels, along with basically all of the Die Hard movies (1, 2, and 4 most of all - 1 and 2 fit your original 1980s-1990s time scale), and Star Wars/Star Trek movies (most of which fit into the 1980s time-scale).

If you want to expand into television series (not all of which are in your time-scale) I'd also add:

- Star Trek TNG
- Leverage
- CSI
- Knight Rider
- Viper
- Children of Dune (mini-series)
- Six Million Dollar Man
- The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest
- Batman: Beyond

If I come up with anything else, I'll post a part 3.

Reply 11 of 32, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was a pretty good seen in Ferris Bueller's day off with some XTs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 16 of 32, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Real Genius. It has a bunch of XT sort of stuff, an SGI workstation, eprom programmers, etc, and of course, big ass LASERS!

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 17 of 32, by feirabranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did not realize there were so many. Thank you all. 😀 more than I can chew...
Do all of these have the computer with a main role? I went to see Electric Dreams and the argument it revolves around the computer, and also "the Net" and "You've got mail" and "Wargames" too.
I'm not looking for movies where computers apear or have a secondary role. That is neat too, but not what I was looking for.

Reply 19 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feirabranco wrote:

Did not realize there were so many. Thank you all. 😀 more than I can chew...
Do all of these have the computer with a main role? I went to see Electric Dreams and the argument it revolves around the computer, and also "the Net" and "You've got mail" and "Wargames" too.
I'm not looking for movies where computers apear or have a secondary role. That is neat too, but not what I was looking for.

For some, main role might mean "main character" or "lead character".
For others, main role might mean "pivotal role" (possibly a small role, but without which the events in the movie might not be possible)
For still others, main role might mean "is on the screen most of the time"...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto