Movies 80's and 90's and Computers

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
For some, main role might mean "main character" or "lead character". For others, main role might mean "pivotal role" (possibly a […]
Show full quote
feirabranco wrote:

Did not realize there were so many. Thank you all. 😀 more than I can chew...
Do all of these have the computer with a main role? I went to see Electric Dreams and the argument it revolves around the computer, and also "the Net" and "You've got mail" and "Wargames" too.
I'm not looking for movies where computers apear or have a secondary role. That is neat too, but not what I was looking for.

For some, main role might mean "main character" or "lead character".
For others, main role might mean "pivotal role" (possibly a small role, but without which the events in the movie might not be possible)
For still others, main role might mean "is on the screen most of the time"...

This was vaguely my criteria, I also included ones where "computer" may mean "robot" (like Bicentennial Man) or "AI" (like Wing Commander). Not everything I listed will be the same as The Net.

I also thought of another movie - the first Resident Evil movie.

Reply 21 of 32, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The end of Terminator 3 was awesome (even though the rest of the movie was not so awesome)...if you can imagine the room they are in at the end (in the bomb shelter) being above ground, that would be a retro computer haven...just add a few PII's (440BX motherboard) systems, 286's, 386,s, 486's and some other odds and ends to compliment those commodore PET looking antiques and carzy NASA mainframes 🤣

I don't know if anyone mentioned any of the Batman movies from 1989 and the 90's...Bruce Wayne always had his trusty supercomputer in the batcave to help fight crime and play wing commander and kings quest on when he was bored 🤣...I think in all the movies he uses a computer of some sort.

Superman III was really good too, who can forget Richard Pryor on those green-screen terminals hacking into the City's "mainframe" changing traffic light operation and causing havoc in Metropolis 🤣

Even though Wolf of Wall Street is a new movie...it of course took place in the 90's and had a lot of sweet business PC's in a lot of the office scenes.

*EDIT: I almost forgot-- Virtuosity with Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe was a good 90's computer movie...the graphics and effects screamed 1995. Almost like Lawnmower man, but Lawnmower Man was a wayyy better flick.

*EDIT: I also remembered Timecop with Jean Claude Van Damme

*EDIT: I know this is about computer games and computers, but I do have to give a shout out to the movie Swingers because that movie put SEGA Genesis' NHL '94 on the map as one of the best (or at least most classsic) sports game ever.

Reply 27 of 32, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the sense that the OP was requesting movies where computers were the main plot element, not a secondary or tertiary element.
Otherwise, just about any movie set during/after the 80s qualifies.

Surprised no one mentioned Colossus: the Forbin Project

Reply 28 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a fairly cheezy episode of the X-Files whereby the plot focused on a computer system taking over a high rise building. Perhaps it was not so cheezy in 1993 when it was aired, but it was surely lame when I watched it post-2010. For anyone interested, it was "Ghost in the Machine", season 1 - episode 7.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 32, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is this website: http://www.starringthecomputer.com/

Fairly comprehensive cross-referenced list of every computer shown in old movies. You might find it handy.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 30 of 32, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Micro Men (2009) and The Podfather

Both are a great way to get familiar with the history of computers, especially the latter one.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 32 of 32, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone remember Superman III? Yep, computer can do anything, like analyzing rare elements from light years away, controlling weather, and making cyborg out of captured human.

EDIT: duh, the OP has mentioned it. This is what you get for browsing from Android. 🙁

I also remember Heartbeep though; a computer got brokenhearted then broadcasted a really cool Human League/Giorgio Moroder's song.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.