Common searches

Who else is pumped for VR?

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The term virtual reality has been bandied about for as long as I’ve been playing games, but from what I’ve read about the work that Valve and Oculus have been doing, there might finally be something worth getting excited about. And excited I am! As good as modern gaming is, with red hot hardware that’s dirt cheap and more games being released than I could possibly keep up with, I just don’t have any interest in it anymore. My i5 sits idle while I play with old hardware and 20 year old games, and one of the reasons I do that is because I miss the feeling that computer gaming gave me back then. I had a real sense of wonder at the seemingly endless possibilities during the 90’s – a lot of it was hype, but there were mind blowing advancements too. I just don’t get that from modern gaming, but now that John Carmack is on board with Oculus, I’m starting to hope that finally the possibilities are opening up again. True virtual reality, or even augmented reality via something like google glass, could allow some really amazing gaming experiences.

But I don’t expect VR Skyrim in the next 5 years, VR’s still going to have its limits. I’m guessing simple jumping puzzle games or arcade style racing sims will lead the way while the technology advances. It’ll be a long time before virtual first person sword fights with dragons are a reality, but I’m OK with that, as long as someone can make a relatively cheap, comfortable, and most importantly fun VR headset that doesn’t make people want to puke, then the rest will follow.

Here’s a good article on the subject, with links to other interesting and relevant stuff:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2014/02/the-road-to-vr.html

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 65, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was pumped for VR in the 90s, when I played Dactyl Nightmare in a local shopping centre one weekend.

So much time has passed since then that I no longer care. I know there's been stuff like VFX-1, but the results were always kinda disappointing. Even the idea of the Oculus Rift doesn't do anything for me, though admittedly I'd have a go at it if the opportunity presented itself.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 65, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only reason I want VR is so I can actually look at my target in a space sim with my head rather than with a auto panning camera that's god awful annoying to use.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 65, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not very enthused about strapping something to my head with wires or having to have other equipment in addition.

Let me know when they can just implant a chip in your brain and I'll be all over that (after it's been thoroughly tested using chimps like Lawnmower Man 😉 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8u2pyuPAPI

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 65, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I was pumped for VR in the 90s, when I played Dactyl Nightmare in a local shopping centre one weekend.

So much time has passed since then that I no longer care. I know there's been stuff like VFX-1, but the results were always kinda disappointing. Even the idea of the Oculus Rift doesn't do anything for me, though admittedly I'd have a go at it if the opportunity presented itself.

Exactly how I feel about it.

What I would still like to have a go at though is those cave systems where you have quake or whatever projected onto the four walls, floor and ceiling. Presumably with some clever-ish perspective.

Reply 6 of 65, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, not me. We have too many issues in society already because people avoid other people and just text or IM others. If we could do real enough VR people would never leave their house, have no clue anymore what is real and what is virtual, and probably develop very bad health habits.

I liked playing DOOM 2 with its clunky graphics but being in a "real" room full of enemies you can almost feel and smell would most likely give me a heart attack.

Eventually you will end up with VR merging with SimJob where people pay a monthly fee to virtually go to work and make some real human money.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 65, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

The term virtual reality has been bandied about for as long as I’ve been playing games

and therefore I am not particularly pumped about it at all.

Reply 9 of 65, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow what a bunch of old grumps! Are you guys at least excited about 3D printers? You can print your own false teeth 😜

Reply 10 of 65, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Badmojo: I'm not one of the old grumps! I'm very excited about Oculus Rift. I believe it will be awesome with upcoming games like Star Citizen (which has support).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11 of 65, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Wow what a bunch of old grumps! Are you guys at least excited about 3D printers? You can print your own false teeth 😜

🙁

I've been promised so much for so long, I think I'm just burnt out on it.

I do want a 3D printer though, it'd be cool to be able to prototype cases and create small replacement parts (like a battery lid for my classic Game Boy...).

Just waiting for the price to come down.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 65, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thankyou vetz, I knew there had to be at least one other person here with a wide-eyed childlike sense of adventure!

See you in the metaverse.

Reply 13 of 65, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as I don't feel the wind blow through my hair when taking a drive in a convertible in 'VR', it's not VR.

VR is where you experience real stuff in a simulated environment. Nothing less.

All those 'VR' goggles are just monitors strapped to your head with motion sensors.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 14 of 65, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

But I don't want to print my own false teeth, or any other plastic crap.

It would be nice if I could print out those replacement Antec parts I can't seem to get anymore, but without the appropriate model files, it's just a pie in the sky.

Reply 15 of 65, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was playing with shutter glasses in the early 2000s long before it became a fad. I've even had a chance to play the VWE Battletech Tesla Pods, which BTW were freaking amazing. (Seriously, playing a mech simulation game where you literally have six MFDs and 50+ buttons to command your death robot with rudder pedals, a throttle stick and everything is sheer win!)

All that said, the prime things that've always held VR technology back is practicality and cost.

Making something VR in some way typically reduces practicality and increases cost. It does make it more interesting, but it makes it less practical for day-to-day usage not to mention more expensive.

The only way VR tech will ever become the norm is if the level of practicality can be increased to the point where it's MORE practical to have VR than not, since there's no way the cost will ever come down far enough to be cheaper than non-VR.

That said, considering we have the technology to make the brain think the body is experiencing motion when it isn't, I have a hunch that VR tech will get to the point of direct mental stimulation before it gets to the point where a simulated reality is physically constructed around you; PS9 anyone? (Oh geeze, anyone remember that PS9 commercial?)

Also, speaking of 3D printers, I actually have physical game ideas that could be created with the assistance of those things, it's just really pricy tech right now and making games out of 3D printed components is impractical from a cost perspective. At least, for the moment. I'm keeping my eyes on the things though in case the prices start to make more sense.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 16 of 65, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that in the 90's you could get a VR system for some flight sim games...I would be pumped for that sort of thing (playing with a more modern flight sim of course)...finally I can feel like Maverick in TopGun except it would maybe be a touch cooler than being Maverick because I think I'm about a foot taller than Tom Cruise 🤣

Reply 17 of 65, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

It would be nice if I could print out those replacement Antec parts I can't seem to get anymore, but without the appropriate model files, it's just a pie in the sky.

I know that's an old post, and I don't know if you've given up on your P180 case, but I have to say that I was in a similar situation with an old Nine Hundred case I found, and I just called Antec directly in Los Angeles and they helped me out big time...they had most parts in stock and I even got some parts for free because the guy just RMA'ed it for me (even though I didnt have the original receipt!)...just pick up the phone and call them, most of what they have or can provide is not listed online. Anyway, I know your post for the P180 parts was a while ago, but I thought I would let you know how my experience went with Antec and that they came through for me. they even sent me 4 extra cables for free that I was missing for an older modular 850W PS, and all I did was ask.

Reply 18 of 65, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I think VR I'm reminded of Bloodnet, Ripper, and Lawnmower Man. So no, I'm not getting pumped. Even those depictions of it are out of reach. No matter how realistic or immersive you make the display I can't call it VR if I'm still aware that I'm pressing buttons to perform an action.

True VR would involve feeding data into the temporal lobe and intercepting nerve impulses before they reach the muscle. Or near VR where you have something like Caprica. An EEG type device interprets brain activity while the user is in a hypnotic trance. The point being that the user believes it is real. Thought translates to action as opposed to do this with control for this action. Also the program needs to be adaptive enough that any action can be performed, not just the ones you would assign to a button.